Priceline Hotel: 1st post just looking for advice.

JuanRodriguezCabrillo
By JuanRodriguezCabrillo,
in

Well, thanks for having this forum up I will use the links for sure, I have been an Expedia user for years and never had any real success in the past using Priceline or even trying Hotwire so I just wrote them off. Until...I ran into a friend who told me her success at getting great rooms on PL for dirt cheap. My wife and I are celebrating our 9th anniversary in Oct and we would like to go back up to Monterrey, CA where we enjoy the drive up from Southern Cal and the food in the area is great.

I went to PL and looked up a hotel I found one that I really like and I am hoping to get, however they have 3 room types available and I would like to obtain the more expensive one of course. This is the thing if I bid is it always on the cheapest types of rooms, and if you want to get anything better you just have to step up and pay outright? Here is information on the rooms:

Intercontinental Monterey The Clement

Monterrey, CA

$190.00

per night 1 Traditional King Bed Nonsmoking

$381.00

per night 1 Kng W Fireplace And Balcony Nonsmoking <---------What I would really like to get.

$654.00

per night 1 Bedroom 1 King Bed Luxury Suite

This is rated a four star hotel and the nice thing is that in that area according to your known hotels there is only one other to bid on that is 4 star. I know you say this is not a complete list, however in such a small area I suspect this probably is accurate.

Monterey (Monterey - Pacific Grove)

4* Inter-Continental the Clement Monterey

4* Marriott Monterey

The thing is when signing up for PL and thinking of a price for this hotel it seemed awfully final, you get to bid you win you get what we give you we charge your card and that is that. Now if I ended up at the Marriot that wouldn't be that bad, however not what I would be looking for. So, back to the question I should bid on 4* in that area, then put out $95 for a bid, would that seem inline with the prices or over $100? If I get the hotel I want, will I get any options to get the room I want?

That is it we will be there mid week in October 20-22, thanks for the help I just don't want to make a mistake if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for this forum and any help.

Welcome to the site.

* If you bid on a certain area, you have to be willing to accept any of the potential hotels (and be aware that you could possibly get something that has not yet been reported/new.) The trade-off for discounted prices on PRICELINE is that you have to be flexible.

* PRICELINE/HOTWIRE reservations are not eligible for upgrades (again, given the discounted rates.) You are given a regular room. If you want an upgrade, the hotel may say no or charge a fee. If you want an upgrade, it is best to book regular rate. FABSAVE10 is a coupon code for 10% off each night for many hotels on Orbitz.com.

Let us know your thoughts on the above.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Orbitz.com links to start your purchase when ready to book.

(Hmm....thought I had email notification on just checked on a whim and there was a post. Oh and the you got mail thing, super annoying it even says it after you delete the mail, just FYI)

Thanks for the reply, I guess that old axiom of beggars can't be choosers would be in full effect here and like I said I am ok if I get stuck with the alternatives, they both have great ratings. And let's face it if it is rated 4* it has to be pretty nice regardless, or the rating system is useless.

Do you think with the rates given that I am being reasonable? I think that if the situation is accurate with these two hotels, I would more than likely get the one I am shooting for since the Marriott seems to be far more expensive with their basic room.

$219.00

per night City View Room, King Or 2 Double,300Sqft/27Sqm, Wired Internet For A Fee,Dial-Up Internet For A Fee, Coffee/Tea Maker

So, I guess that I should just fire a shot across the bow and see what happens at $95 then and see if I get any takers. Does it matter that I am doing this in October and I am looking into this now? Are they more likely to do it on short notice or that doesn't matter?

Thanks for the help.

JuanRodriguezCabrillo

So, I guess that I should just fire a shot across the bow and see what happens at $95 then and see if I get any takers. Does it matter that I am doing this in October and I am looking into this now? Are they more likely to do it on short notice or that doesn't matter?

See this link: Should i Bid Early or Close to Arrival Date

Just post if you need any futher help.

Yellowdog.

JuanRodriguezCabrillo

See this link: Should i Bid Early or Close to Arrival Date

Just post if you need any futher help.

Yellowdog.

Thanks for the link, and I guess the best answer is "it depends" on the booking times and dates.

However, ran into the PL fan who told me I should use the service and talked to her and her boyfriend at length about what I am trying to do and the better room I wish I could snag. He told me I should just call the hotel direct and talk to a manager about negotiating a price for the better room. I don't know about that, I guess it couldn't hurt to try talking to them and see if I can't get a deal. I will see what happens tomorrow, I doubt it but you never know.

At the 4* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Monterey...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Monterey and re-bid zone2...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, well this is the end result of what I decided to do for this. I took my friends advice and contacted the hotel directly, this resulted in me going to corporate first which couldn't do anything, then giving me the direct number for the hotel and I was able to leave a message for their person Zack who would be able to see about helping out. I received a call back from Zack and he was extremely helpful and I explained my situation with regards to the anniversary and the desire for a room with the fireplace and the balcony. He said the hotel rate for basic was $209, and he would give me that rate for the upgraded room. I then clarified that this is the one with the ocean view over the bay and we were comparing apples to apples for what I want, he then said oh no that is another level up under suite costs. So, now we were looking at a room that was well over $400 a night for that level. He paused thought about it then told me that it was mid week and he would give me the upgraded room with the ocean view for $209 a night. Done deal at that point I was very happy to secure the room for over 50% off and get what I was looking for secured for our time up there.

So, room is booked I am happy and I wanted to tell you what transpired so that you can all take from that what you want to apply it to future situations as you have been very helpful and I will use your links in the future when I don't need to be so picky on the room for the occasion.

Thanks again for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]