Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

lcd
By lcd,
in

Hello,

I am new to your forum and would be most grateful for any advice that you could provide before I make an attempt at bidding on Priceline. We will be visiting Chicago for the first time, flying into MDW Sunday morning (9/6) and departing Wednesday afternoon (9/9). I'd like to bid on a 4* hotel for the three nights and see that some bids have been accepted in the Millenium Park-Loop-Grant Park area for approximately $60. It sounds like this is would be a nice and convenient location, but I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to bid a little higher and try for a hotel in the Magnificient Mile or North Michigan Avenue areas? I'm also interested in knowing how to rebid using a zone without any 4* hotels. How do you look up this information? Finally, here's what I found on Hotwire for our travel dates:

$106 / 4.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$94 / 4-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

$95 / 4-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$94 / 4-star hotel in Chicago Loop

$134 / 4.5-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

Thanks very much!

lcd

Use the map on PRICELINE when selecting your original zone to see zones with no 4 star.

For example, Skokie is one and one of the airport zones, but not the other.

These stay on for future bids though.

I just got 3 nights at $75 on NMA - 2 at the Sheraton (which apparently the Hotel is only sub-par but location is awesome) and one night at the Avenue Hotel (which is much better reviewed and looks way nicer)

I would go for one of the nicer areas for sure. But then again, this is my first trip to the Windy City. Leaving in 45 minutes!

Welcome to the site. :)

Please post the amenities you are seeing with the HOTWIRE listings.

Additionally, in terms of location, it's a matter of preference. The two areas are next to one another and Chicago as a whole is remarkably compact. If you are looking for a cheaper room, rates are generally (not always, especially if a convention or other event is occurring) slightly/somewhat cheaper in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. The MP/Loop/GP area is closer to museums and does have some shopping (State St., which I actually find a bit more appealing than Michigan Ave, given the discounters - Nordstrom Rack, for example - on State).

However, it's not a far walk from most MP/Loop/Grant Park area hotels to Michigan Ave. The one downside of staying in the Loop is that it does get quiet later in the evening after the offices have let out.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and then we can make further suggestions from there.

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchase when you are ready to book.

Thank you both for replying and "bon voyage" lindmar!

The latest search on Hotwire gave this information and I've included 3.5* hotels...

$79 / 4-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access, Spa

$106 / 4.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

$95 / 4-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

$79 / 3.5-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

Boutique hotel, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access, Gold nearby, Tennis nearby, Spa

$94 / 4-star hotel in Chicago Loop

Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

$134 / 4.5-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

$89 / 3.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

Boutique hotel, Fitness Center, Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

$99 / 3.5-star hotel in Chicago Loop

Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities, High-speed Internet Access

Thanks again,

lcd

There is also a list of reported HOTWIRE wins for Chicago: Hotwire Hotel List

4* NMA/Water Tower/GC = Not yet been ID'd/reported to the board.

4.5 Mag Mile = Likely Intercontinental

4* Mag Mile = could be a few different hotels - Westin, Hard Rock, Hyatt or Sheraton

3.5* NMA/WT/GC = likely Indigo.

4* Loop = likely Palmer

4.5 NMA/WT/GC = possibly Sofitel.

3.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville = possibly Hotel 71

3.5* Loop = not yet ID'd, but my guess is this may be the Silversmith.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Could the unidentified 4* NMA/Water Tower/GC hotel be the Dana Hotel & Spa? It's #27 in the Popularity Index on Tripadvisor. It appears to be a 4* hotel near the Water Tower, but I don't know if this is considered to be in the NMA/Water Tower/GC zone. It's purely a guess, mainly from the spa indication.

We tend to prefer historic and boutique hotels, but would be fine with anything decent in one of the three conveniently located areas. We're visiting to mainly see the modernist architecture and visit some of the museums (e.g., MOCA, AI). If anyone knows of any good contemporary art galleries showing original artists, please let us know which area(s) that might be in.

As for the bidding, should I start with a low bid for something in Magnificent Ave. and/or NMA/Water Tower/GC to see if we might get lucky? If not, then add the Loop? Plus, we have time to give it several tries.

Many thanks!

lcd

lcd,

It can take a considerable amount of time to reasearch and identify HOTWIRE hotels (let alone 8 of them)... please decide if you want to move forward with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, and we'll advise accordingly as to whichever service you decide works best for your needs for this trip.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Dana would not be in the NMA-WT-GC zone.

I'm not a fan of the MCA (it made more sense in the old building, now it's a few exhibits and - at least when I've been there - a fair amount of empty space), but the AI is certainly a must. I'm not sure of specifics, but the River North area certainly has a number of galleries.

Thanks for the information on the galleries, AaronJB, I will look into the area you mentioned.

thereuare: Perhaps I have misunderstood how the process works. From what I have read, I thought the idea was to post how much Hotwire was offering their hotels and this would supply an idea of what to bid on Priceline. I, therefore, re-posted all eight Hotwire hotels along with their amenities as you requested. I did not ask for the hotels to be identified, but I do see how you could have made that assumption and apologize for taking up your time. When you responded with the possible names, I followed your lead, and then asked what would be the recommended strategy. I wrote, "As for the bidding, should I start with a low bid for something in Magnificent Ave. and/or NMA/Water Tower/GC to see if we might get lucky? If not, then add the Loop? Plus, we have time to give it several tries." As I stated in my original post, I had planned on bidding on Priceline. I am not sure where I gave you the idea that I wanted more hotels to be identified.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I think there was confusion on each of our part as i didn't see the first line that you were interested in bidding on PRICELINE since this thread was already a few posts deep by the time i had seen it. Usually users just post HOTWIRE info if they're itnerested in the hotwire properties as there's no need to post this if you're using PRICELINE (and no need to aplogize to me as i'm not the one who ID'd the eight proerties listed :) ).

For PRICELINE bidding, what's important is the zone(s) you're willing to accept, your minimum star rating, and your maximum bid.

Have you decided if you want to bid both the Loop and the NMA zone? If both, are each equally acceptable or are you willing to pay more to be in one vs. the other? (or is price ultimately the primary goal and whichever is cheaper is best). What star rating do you want to try for... if less than 4* are you willing pay more for a higher rated hotel? (again, or if price most important are you simply looking for the lowest price 3.5* (or 3*) or better for this stay)

Let us know the above info and we'll be in a better position to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks very much for the clarification, thereuare. I see now that it was AaronJB who identified the hotels; thanks for taking the time, and I'll let you know what we think of MOCA if we make it there. (Very interesting to hear your insights about the museum and that they had changed spaces...)

We'd be equally happy with Mag. Ave., NMA, or the Loop. The main objective is to bid on a 4* hotel for no more than $75.

I hope this provides you with all the details that you need. I'm eager to give this a try!

At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $59, if rjeected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $66, if rjeected add re-bid zone...

Bid $69.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Maybe this is a somewhat naive opinion in some regards, but it's simply the way that I feel about the MCA.

When I was a kid, the MCA was in a nice building on a side street off Michigan Ave. Now it's in a beautiful, big, ultra-modern building behind Water Tower. However, when I've gone in in the last few years, I feel like the exhibits could still fit in the old building. I guess I just always feel as if there could be better use of space, and the whole "open chic" style only makes it feel rather empty.

The photography museum in Columbia College's 600 S. Michigan Ave. building is worth a stop-in if you're passing by.

Hello again,

I followed your strategy with one slight change thinking that it'd give me an extra re-bid though I was nervous that I was making a mistake. I started the bid at $55 as you suggested, but with just the Loop, then added NMA to get an extra try. In the end, the Palmer House Hilton accepted my bid of $62 per night. That seems to be the magic number for this hotel. Thank you all very much for your kind assistance and patience. I never would have made an attempt without your help.

Regards,

lcd

PS: AaronJB, I appreciate the tip on Columbia College's photo museum and will note the address. I'm really curious now to see MOCA...(is it referred to as MCA in Chicago?)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear the board was helpful with your purchase and that you're happy with the results... looks like a great deal for a Downtown Chicago hotel.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]