Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy for S. Beach

Sthack
By Sthack,
in

For the last few weeks, I have been having problems getting a bid in South Beach or Miami Beach for the weekend of January 14, 2005. I went as high as $81 for a 3*, using the following areas: S. Beach, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, N. Miami & S.W. Miami.

I need a bidding strategy, please help!

Prices are high in South Beach for this weekend and time of year.

Your obvious choices are waiting, raising your bid, lowering your star quality, or choosing an alternate nearby zone.

What is the most you would want to bid (with that we can advise a strategy) or would you rather lower your star rating. Personally i would be very careful about bidding on a true opaque hotel in this area as there are a LOT of small independent properties which vary greatly in quality (this is true even at the 3* level).

Best deal i could currently find is the Hotel Shelley for just over $100, but the REVIEWS seem pretty good.

I also just found the Greenview for a similar price and the REVIEWS are quite good too.

Let us know which of the above options (alternate zone, maximum bid, wait it out, hotel shelley, etc) seem the best for you and we can advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We definetly would like to keep our star rating no lower than a 3* and willing to wait, if that would make a difference. The most we would like to bid for a 3* would be $90-$100 in the South Beach area.

We currently have 3 hotels (WinterHaven $138, Courtyard Oceanfront $138 and South Beach Plaza Hotel $129) reserved for back up and have 72 hours prior to arrivial to cancel. It will be 4 of us and we didn't want to pay the above prices (if possible) since it would be 2 rooms needed. We hear that the rooms are small in SoBeach so that's why we thought it would be best to get 2 rooms. "Thanks" for mentioning Hotel Shelley & Greenview, I never heard of these two but the reviews sound great!

From what I've read, this is a very busy weekend in South Beach as it hosts the annual Art Deco Festival and the occupancy will be very high. So we figured that it will be almost impossilbe to get something on Priceline for a good price, so we've decided to stay at the Atlantica Hotel & Suites ($74 w/AAA per night). They also have great reviews!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g3...ch_Florida.html

"Thanks" so much for your help. We're coming from your old home town of Ann Arbor, so you know we will ENJOY South Beach in mid-January!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed several auctions for the Courtyard Miami Oceanfront hotel on the Skyauction website, go to the "travel links to help support BetterBidding". The most recent win was $83 and after adding the $32 for taxes and fees, the rate becomes $115.00.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]