Priceline Hotel: 2* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Red Roof Inn Downtown

flyingyoung
By flyingyoung,
in

Hi all, I'm new to this board and I must say what a resourceful place this is.

I am planning to spend 5 days (8/1/2009 - 8/6/2009) at DC for a conference. I would like to book for both the flight and hotel on Priceline. Perhaps someone could offer me a some tips on how to go about booking this.

Location: The conference will be located at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. I'm not big on sight-seeing or fancy hotels. I just want a comfortable place to sleep for the night. I'm willing to stick with 3 stars and above.

I will be flying from the Indianapolis airport (IND).

My budget is around $250 for the flight, and $200 for the hotel @ $40 per night.

If reasonable, in total hopefully under $500 for both the flight and hotel combined.

From reading some posts on this forum, I think my preferred location would be:

1) Convention Center/Capital Hill

2) Downtown/White House

3) Dupont/Woodley Park

Any suggestion is welcomed! Thanks so much in advance!

(edit: I'm sorry, I wrote the title wrong, It's not 5*, it's more like 3*).

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few things to cover...

Not sure what airfare is going for on this route, nor the actual dates of your conference, but when bidding on airfare your flight can leave anytime between 6am-10pm, so you'd at least need to travel the day before and the day after your conference (unless you're able to risk missing part of the conference). If bidding for your plane ticket is still an option, what is the fare for this route on your dates, and please provide a breakdown of the base ticket fare and the fees/taxes.

In regards to your hotel, $40 is probably not realistic for staying inside the zones you've indicated. You might get something for around that price outside of the city (Crystal City, Arllington, Alexandria, etc) or a better option if you're budget is flexible is to try ~$60 for a 3.5* (a few hotels have been won at around this price point, but rates are date specific, so not sure if any of them would be available for your dates or not)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Dear thereuare, I must say I really appreciate your wonderful comments and suggestions.

I am indeed planning to miss some of the conference. I was told by the planner that there is not much going on at the first day and the last day. And hopefully this way I will be able to save a day of hotel expenses... With this in mind, I would have to book a morning flight on the first day, and an evening flight on the last day.

My budget for the flight including taxes and fees is around $250. I do see a few options in that price range when checking on Priceline; however, most of their flight results have inconvenient times and land in the BWI (Baltimore airport) instead of the IAD. Is it very much more inconvenient to commute from the BWI to downtown? And, given these specifications, would you recommend that I book the air ticket using individual websites instead where I have more control with what time I can get the flights (i.e., Southwest, Northwest)?

As for the hotel, I agree with you after a few bidding tries that the chance of winning a $40/night bidding might be a little slim. I will try $60/night and see if I could get a roommate by posting at the bulletin of the conference (now I'm actually willing to go for a 2* and up). I could also try the areas you have suggested, but I

I would have to book a morning flight on the first day, and an evening flight on the last day.
If you need to arrive in the morning and depart in the evening, the PRICELINE (name your own price) is not the way to book your ticket.
As for the hotel, I agree with you after a few bidding tries that the chance of winning a $40/night bidding might be a little slim.
Exactly which zones, star rating, and maximum price did you already bid?
I will try $60/night and see if I could get a roommate by posting at the bulletin of the conference (now I'm actually willing to go for a 2* and up).
You would know better than us how likely it would be to get a roommate, but are you prepared if for some reason you don't? If you get a nice hotel, with a nice location, and at a great rate, it may be easier to get a roommate than if you get an 'ok' deal at a budget 2* property.
How far are the areas you have suggested from downtown? I really do prefer the minimal train/bus transfers!
They're do-able, but based upon your comments i think you'd be happier staying in the 'downtown' zones. Also, the issue with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE is that you don't know the specific location of the hotel you will receive, and as you get outside of 'the city' the train stations become further and further away, and you can't assure that you will be located within close (walking) proximity.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, after many tries in a couple of days, I finally got something. A little disappointed though. :)

Just in case you might ask, my bidding history was as follows,

4* $50 duopont, rejected

4* $50 white house/downtown, rejected

4* $50 convention center, rejected

3* $50 duopont, rejected

and so on, until I hit 2* for all three zones for $67/night, and still nothing. So I got fed up and chose $70. And oh mine, instantly I won Red Roof Inn at Downtown @ $70 per night. =( Not too impressed, though, but given the convenient location, I would gladly accept it. Next time I should know that a good bidding only comes with lots of patience. I'm going back to the convention bulletin and will hopefully find roommates to share the cost.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List.

Did we get the date right in your topic title, did you ultimately bid for 8/1-8/5? While this may not have been what you originally set of seeking, hotel direct rates are over twice as much, so this is an excellent deal (price-wise)

Enjoy your stay... and good luck with the roommate search. (atlhough keep in mind that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, and you could receive a room with only one bed, you may want to call the hotel now regarding a request for a room with two beds)

Thanks for the reassurance! I've been told that it's not easy to find a cheap hotel at the heart of the city at this time of the year, although I was hoping to get a 3 or a 3.5* for the same price. =(

The date booked was 8/1/2009 - 8/6/2009. I decided to leave on the last day of the conference.

I've used the link in your signature a few times to access Priceline, yes. But I'm not sure if I had used it the time when I won the bid. I will be sure to do so next time, given the amount of help I have received from this forum.

(Just in case you ask, I have booked my flight using United Air's own website (8/1/2009 morning - 8/6/2009 evening). I was able to get a round-trip, non-stop for $230 including taxes and fees. I would use priceline though, if I hadn't had restrictions about my timeline.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]