Priceline Hotel: LAX-4* or 3* Hotels in Pasadena and Arcadia

tys206
By tys206,
in

Hi there. This is my first msg to the Forum...

I have read your tips on bidding on Priceline. Thanks for sharing those valuable tips. I was put off by their 72-hour restriction. Your work-arounds is bringing new avenues. So I would like to give that a try in my coming travel.

My questions...

I am planning for a one week trip to Pasadena, CA around 10th Dec 04. does anybody know what are the hotels Priceline offer for 4* and 3* ratings in Pasadena or Arcadia area? And roughly what is the successful price range ?

secondly, when should I bid? as early as possilbe or closer to the date?

Many thanks...

tys206

Welcome to BetterBidding!

All of the hotels that have been reported so far in this area can be found in this thread: PRICELINE HOTEL LIST CALIFORNIA

Here are thoughts on SHOULD I BID EARLY OR LATE TO ARRIVAL?

My personal opinion is to start bidding as soon as you know your plans are firm... but don't overbid. It's always easier to bid when you have time on your side and are not 'depserate'. As well, having a cancellable back-up helps you keep a level head and not get wrapped up in the "i've got to win" mentality.

Let us know if/when your plans are firm and when you'd like to start bidding (if it's now that's fine too). Provide us with the check-in, check-out, acceptable zones, star rating, and maximum bid... we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I need to book 8 days (Dec/10 - Dec/18) in Pasadena or Arcadia area. This is my first try at Priceline site. So I tried using your suggested rebidding strategy and placed the following bids for the past few days.

1. Bid from $45 - $55 (with $5 increment) for 8 days in these areas. starting from 3* then moving to 2.5* and adding the region at a time. No luck.

2. bid for $45 - $55 for 4 days (Dec/14 - Dec 18) in these areas, starting from 3* then moving to 2.5* and adding the region at a time. Failed again.

Now I am waiting for my 72 hour limit so that I could bid again.

Does anyone know if my bidding price is too low for these areas, if yes, what should be the price ? Or is there something else I could do? Alternatively, could someone suggest an area which is close by Pasadena where I could also try?

I have also checked out hotware offer, there is a 3* offering at $70 per night. Facility (Restaurant, pool, fitness center, Golf, Business Center and Laundry). Does anyone know what this hotel might be?

Many thanks!

Before you bid again... i'm not 100% certain you have re-bidding understood. When bidding 3* or lower you have no re-bid zones available... if you add other zones then you stand a chance of getting hotels in those zones. Did you add other zones besides Pasadena?

I can comment further and i'll provide a strategy, but before i do:

By your bidding above you seem willing to split this stay... how many different stays are you willing to make? Obviously at least tow, but is that your limit, or to save money would you be willing to stay at 3 different properties?

Let us know about the maximum you are willing to split the bid and clarify your bidding strategy above and we'll comment further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for responding so quickly.

To answer your question on my 're-bidding'...

I started by bidding Monrovia zone only (which covers Arcadia) at 3*. Then adding on Pasadena as additional zone while I increase the bid price. Followed by reducing 3* to 2.5*. So I had 3 bids in total for these 2 zones. I did the same way again with that 4-day bid. is this rebidding? If I am not doing it right, let me know.

I tried splitting the stay to two because from your previous postings, there were comments that longer stay may decrease the chances of award. So I tried that. But I don't think I want to split my stay furthur. splitting to two is max for me. Too many times of packing and unpacking does not seem productive for a holiday.

Hope this clarifies my bidding process. thanks again for your help.

What you did was fine since you are willing to accept either zone... technically it's not 're-bidding' since you are adding 'live' zones; but given your scenario it's fine.... i was more concerned that you were adding zones that you didn't want which could have been a problem.

As far as splitting your stay, it is advisable but not 'randomly' as i suspect you did. I would split as follows:

Dates: 12/10-12/13

Select 3* Pasadena

Bid $45, if rejected add Monrovia and...

Bid $53, if rejected close that browser and re-access Pricelie however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Pasadena

Bid $40, if rejected add Monrovia and...

Bid $45.

If you get a counter-offer on any of them post back here before purchasing.

If rejected i would then repeat the above process for 12/10-12/12 (you may not want to do this since it is only for 2 nites, but you would then try for the balance of your stay in a separate bid... still only splitting the bid between two properties).

If you're successful for either of the two above sets of dates i would then bid again for the balance of your stay, but it will likely take a higher bid so report back as to your success/failure and we'll provide a new strategy. The above splits are based upon rates i'm seeing for the individual nites.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Just one question before I proceed...

what do you mean by "If you get a counter-offer on any of them post back here before purchasing."

I thought all Priceline offers is on the spot based on your bidding price. Do you mean that Priceline actually send you a msg and offering you a property with a new price ? If yes, I have never come across that? where should I look out for it?

Thanks.

On the rejection screen occaisionally Priceline will say, "We couldn't find you a hotel room, but if you increase your bid by $xx we will let you bid again immediately without adding a zone or lowering your star quality." (something like that)

It's discussed in more detail here: PRICELINE SUGGESTS PRICE TO PAY.

Just tried your strategy bidding Dec/10 - Dec/13. Not successful. :)

And I did not get any msg on counter-offer, fyi.

I did not try bidding Dec/10 - Dec/12. It does not give me much savings bidding for two nights because of the service fees unless I am getting a good deal from the rest of the 6 days. From my past bidding history, I guess the rate won't be low.

These two regions seems very hard to get!

Anything else I could try ? let me know. thanks!

It does not give me much savings bidding for two nights because of the service fees

This isn't the case since the fee is not fixed and the difference (per nite) in fee between a 2 nite stay and a 3 nite stay is negligible.

Will you cancel this trip if you are not successful with Priceline? I'm assuming you will go and have to sleep somewhere, so if you can save money on at least two of the eight nites than that is money in your pocket. If you have to pay 'traditional' rates... wouldn't you rather do that for six nites instead of eight?

You convinced me to try that 2 nights. I used the approach in your msg. I didn't get it.

So looks like I either wait for my 72-hour before trying again at a higher bids or explore other zones or alternatives.

Hotwire has a 3* property (at Arcadia) offering at $70 per night. Facility (Restaurant, pool, fitness center, Golf, Business Center and Laundry). Let me know if you have any clue which property this might be?

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

good luck on getting a room for those prices in the area, it is a very high demand area due to the limited number of rooms. sounds like your hotel you saw was the embassy suites arcadia or holiday inn monrovia, there are only 3 full service hotels in the area, the other being the four points sheraton in monrovia. actually i now think you can cross out the embassy due to the low rate, so its between the latter two. hope you were able to get that room

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]