Hotwire Hotel: NYC and WASHINGTON DC hotels

moab
By moab,
in

I hope I am posting this in the right place. What a helpful site this is!

We are coming to Washington DC (for four nights: July 23, 24, 25, 26) and then to NYC (for three nights: July 27, 28, 29).

We have never been back east, and have no idea of what to expect. We need to get hotel rooms in both cities. I am finalizing our flight reservations tonight.

There are five of us.

My husband, grown son, and I can stay in one room, as long as there are two beds.

Our daughter and her husband can have the second room.

I like really nice hotels, in safe areas, with CLEAN and modern rooms, but it will be expensive, having to have the second room.

I cannot walk a lot (foot problems) and would like to be somewhere where we are close to transportation, and to eating locations. I want to be able to walk around at night, to go and eat, and people watch. Some people say the perfect place for that is Times Square area, others say that is too congested. When I can't walk anymore (feet hurting), my family will want to go out and about, both daytime and nighttime hours. We don't do the bar scene, so that is not important. Oh, and I almost forgot, it would be great to have a room with a fridge and perhaps a microwave, but perhaps these rooms don't exist, or are impossible to get at these reduced prices.

Anyway.....150 a night, per room, would be about our limit, but still very expensive for us.

Any suggestions? Thank you so VERY much.

Welcome ot betterBidding!

Please use separate threads for your NYC and DC stays. Since this thread is in the NYC section of the board we'll use this for the NYC leg of your stay... please start a NEW TOPIC in the DC section of the board.

First 'issue' is that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and in NYC there are many rooms which only have one bed and little or not room for a rollaway. So unless you're willing to take this risk, you'll need to use HOTWIRE which will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy.

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept?

As far as zones, most Times Square areas will work for the typical tourist, but you'll spend far less time in Times Square than you think... there's really no place to sit at a sidewalk cafe/restaurant and people watch, it's more a hard of cattle pushing thru the streets; but there are plenty of place where you can sit and people watch, and they're easily accessible thru mass transit.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Suggestion - while you are working on hotel reservations, you might want to go to your local library and check out an armload of NYC and Washington, DC travel guide books. Then when you've browsed them, actually buy your favorites for taking with you. (Sometimes I even just take the library copy along.)

Two sections you don't want to miss are "To and from the airport" and "Getting around". They will explain various options of public transport, cabs, cars, etc.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]