Hotwire Hotel: NY for 11/02 - one night

citylover
By citylover,
in

Another trip to Ny for me. I am planning a one day stop in NY city on my way back home from another trip. However the day is Election Day, Nov 2nd. I am even wondering if stores will be open all day or not? (my main reason for stopping in NY) Any info?

I have been checking Hotwire and the prices seem steep so not sure if it's because the date is Election Day (Nov 2) or is the fact that I am only planning on one night?

I can book it from 11/01-11/02 or 11/02-11/03 those are my choices. Reality is regardless, I will be flying out on 11/02 evening. But when I arrive in NY I need a place to leave my things from my trip while I head out to enjoy the city. So my option is arrive the night before and sleep there or arrive the day of and just use the room as my base. Any suggestions?

Prices don't seem too bad for these dates, at least relative to what we've been seeing for some other dates in NYC where $200+ isn't enough!

I'm not really sure how you want to play this.... do you even need a hotel room? I might just take a chance and walk into a hotel and ask the bellman to store your bags for you. Tip upfront and they are not likely to ask many questions.

On the otherhand if you actually want a room to store your things and use the bed, bathroom, etc, then you obviously need a reservation someplace. Rates for the nite of the 1st seem a bit less expensive than the nite of the 2nd, but there have been occaisional instances (although rare) where a hotel will cancel the entire reservation if you don't check-in for the first nite of arrival (you can always call the hotel and tell them that you're flight is delayed and if they can check you in over the phone). Not sure if you have confirmed plane tickets already or if you're flying a shuttle where you can walk up to the counter and buy a reasonably priced ticket just about anytime.

Let us know if you actually need a room (based upon the possibility of leaving your bags at with a hotel bellman), and if you do, if you feel more comfortable with obtaining the nite of the 1st or the 2nd?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No not a 4* at all. I will settle for less as long as it is decent and safe. Even something discount in the garment district would work for me, close to a subway would be great. I would hope to find something less that $100 unless I am being unrealistic, but I don't think so because I don't need major comfort

I see QUICKBOOK has the Hotel Grand Union for $102/nite so that would be the rate i try to beat (and if you end up booking that please use the link provided).

I would try Priceline as follows:

Select 3* MTE and....

Bid $85, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $90, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $100.

I don't think the above will be successful but worth a try none-the-less. If rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously...

Select 2.5* MTE and...

Bid $65, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $85, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $95.

If the above fails i would then take the Hotel Grand Union above. I wouldn't take the chance on an unknown 2* in Manhattan.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Did you try the above at all (and rejected) or are you simply thinking of alternate plans.

The thought of LGA occurred to me, but then you have to take the shuttle to the hotel, a cab to NYC (or shuttle back to LGA to take the shuttle), and it seems as if there would be hassle involved, something i didn't think you would likely want to do based upon the limited length of time of your stay.

But if you think that is a viable option for you then let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I did not get back to respond, but my schld got a bit hectic and time caught up with me. My problem was solved when a friend from NY who had been travelling arrived home & offered use of their place to me. They live in Manhatten and it all worked out well. I just dropped my things at their apt, spent the day in the city and then returned to get my things and headed back to the airport. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. This website is a gem!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]