Priceline Hotel: Help with Cambridge (MIT) - June 2-5, 2005

joe123457
By joe123457,
in

Hi,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong (without flaming :) ).

I need a hotel that is very close to MIT from June 2nd to the 5th, 2005. I have looked at the Hotel list and it looks like 2 out of the 3 in Cambridge are good.

3* Hyatt Regency Cambridge

3* Marriott Cambridge

2.5* Residence Inn

But I don't want to be stuck with one thats not really close to MIT. Is there any strategy I can use to try and get one of those two hotels. I have a refundable booking at a hotel right on MIT campus that is not on this list, though it is VERY expensive ($200+). The reason why it is so expensive and most of the hotels around that area are booked up already is that, that weekend is MIT graduation.

Any help that you can give is great.

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I don't think you would be able to avoid the Marriott. Even if you only bid for a 2.5* hotel, that is the minimum that you are willing to accept, and Priceline can always opt to upgrade you to a 3 star.

How close is the Royal Sonesta to where you would need to be?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

I've been bidding quite a bit in Cambridge over the past 3 months.

For a long streak, I got the Hyatt (3***) for $47-50. Its very nice, but if you have a car, its an extra $23 per day for parking (although there is limited street parking). Unfortunate, perhaps due to remodeling, the Hyatt no longer wins.

Instead, I have been getting the Doubletree acrosss the river. Its not even in Cambridge, but Priceline counts gives it anyway. There is NO street parking at all here, so its an extra $20.

I have been here in hotels for the past 2.5 months:

- Hyatt Cambridge $50 Parking is $23 but there is some street parking. (Priceline)

- Doubletree (Cambridge) $55 plus $20 parking (no choice) (Priceline)

- Doubletree Downtown $55 plus $32 parking (no choice) (Priceline)

- Summerfield Suites Waltham $55-65 Nice Suites but 30-45 min drive (Hotwire)

- Holiday Inn Newton $60 Least nice (equal to Tage Inn) 30 min drive (Hotwire)

- Tage Inn Somerville $60 Least nice 10 minute drive (Hotwire)

I noticed your posting about finding a hotel close to MIT's commencement and you may want to reconsider avoiding the Cambridge Marriott. If MIT's commencement this year is on Kilian Court like it used to be, the Cambridge Marriott may actually be the closest Hotel (probably a 10-20 minute walk) and is much closer to subway access. The Cambridge Marriott is in Kendall Square which is on the north-east edge of MIT's campus and is I think right near the Residence Inn in Cambridge.

The Cambridge Hyatt is probably the next closest Hotel but I would guess it's at least a 20-30 minute walk from Kilian Court and is very far from the closest subway station if you want to get around town (I think I offer a shuttle bus to the closest subway station).

Hope this helps!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]