Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Westin

fabianhdz
By fabianhdz,
in

I'm trying to find a decent hotel in NYC. I've been reading tons of messages regarding NY and I learned that staying in New Jersey is pretty reasonable and its not that far from Manhattan (40 minutes according to google) That's okay for me. I did a research in hotwire and a *** hotel in Secaucus is 62 dollars which I think is a very good deal. So, now my strategy is trying get it even a bit cheaper from Priceline. I don't really need a specific brand hotel, all i care is that is CLEAN room and bathroom, I'm going by bus, so, i need something which is reachable by public transit.

So, what are the most convenient areas to stay according to my budget (50 - 80)? 3 stars, 2 nights...maybe 3 if I find a great price....and easily reachable by public transportation. Are 2 stars hotels recommendable in Jersey City?

I just started using this webpage and as well as Hotwire and Priceline and I'm loving it :)

thanks for your advices

I'm going by bus, so, i need something which is reachable by public transit.
This is one of the issues with using PRICELINE in this area as a NYC substitute... you could receive a hotel that is not convenient (ie- walkable) to a bus to NYC. HOTWIRE is an option if you can reasonably ID the hotel before your purchase and therefore have a reasonable idea of the location.

However, given your budget i would sooner first try for a 4* hotel in jersey city (may be success at under $80, but if not, likely another $10 should do it)... all the 'known' hotels are convenient to a PATH station, provides 24/7 access to the city, have things to do in the immediate area, and overall will provide a nicer experience, imo.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks a lot for your advises...they are very helpful

Well, i would like to identify these ones from Hotwire first, so i can find out if they are located in the path or not.

aug 5-7

1)Three star hotel in secaucus Medowlands

-Complimentary Breakfast

-high speed internet access

in hotwire was at $ 59

2)Three and a half starts hotel in secaucus Medowlands

fitness center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

this one was at $69

Thanks for your help!

The 3* property has not yet been identified, but the 3.5* is a match for the Sheraton Meadowlands and that woud be my best guess.

The Sheraton is not walkable to nearby transportation, but they provide limited shuttle service (not 'on demand' but runs on a fixed schedule) to a bus stop or secaucus train station (if you're considering this option doublecheck that the shuttle is still offered as i haven't checked on it in quite some time).

However, i'll re-iterate that the Jersey City Waterfront area would provide a much better overall experience and would be worth up to $20+ more per nite, imo.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks!

I was reading about that Sheraton Hotel, and im definitely not going there, even with the shuttle...The other 3 star hotel seems to be in the same area I think.

I was just hoping to be able to target the area of secaucus, which happens to have more decent location, but that's not possible with Hotwire.

I'm going to try to make a bid in Jersey City through PRICELINE

Just one question, in Priceline, the areas are divided differently, they put "Secaucus/North Bergen" apart from Medowlands. Do you think is more probably that a hotel within this specific area has easy access to transport? These are the two areas i think i will be bidding (Secaucus and Jersey City/waterfront)

Thanks again for your help!

Do you think is more probably that a hotel within this specific area has easy access to transport?
As i've noted above, if you're looking for easy transport to/from Manhattan, your best PRICELINE zone is going to be Jersey City and i would not bid the other zones until having first tried for Jersey City/Hoboken... your stay will be much more enjoyable than the other areas, which aren't bad per se, but are distant second choices to Jersey City.

yes, for sure i'll be trying Jersey City, i have that in mind :). my questions was mainly because secaucus seems very close to manhattan as well, so before i started bidding, i want to know my second option. I'm definitely not bidding in meadowlands or any other region....my question was specifically about secaucus regions according to priceline. (priceline and secaucus regions divided differently in hotwire compared to priceline)

Secaucus is close to Manhattan, but your transporation options are not nearly as flexible or convenient as the Jersey City Waterfront.

I do think you have a good chance as $90 or under, so if you're willing to bid that high, there may be little point in going thru your second choice options, so best to just cross that bridge when you get there.

ok, so i will be bidding later today, but i just made a quick search, i found this in Hoboken/Jersey City in Hotwire

2.5 star hotel in Hoboken / Jersey City

-Restaurant

-Laundry

-Internet

rated 3.5/5 in tripadvisor with +60 reviews

Can anyone tell which one is this?

If you look at the zone boundaries on PRICELINE vs. hotwire you'll see that the zones are different... currently the PRICELINE zone stretches along the jersey city waterfront, thru hoboken, and crosses into Weehawken (so that it includes the Sheraton Suites). The HOTWIRE zone includes an area west whcih includes Routes 1&9, and this is not an area you want to stay.

Essentially in Jersey City you want:

Hyatt

Westin

Courtyard

Candlewood Suites

The above is neither of the above and likely one of the hotels along Rte 1&9.

thanks for all the tips, i finally booked my trip

4* Westin Jersey City Newport

Started bidding from 67, 70, 73, 77, 80, and finally 85 dollars was the winner.

I'm loving the rebidding strategy!

I'm satisfied with the price since its a 4 star hotel in new york.

Dates 5 - 8 August,2009

I'm very excited about this trip!

Cheers

Fabian

Congratulations on your success!

This should work quite well for your plans as the nearby PATH train will provide you easy, and 24/7, access to Manhattan. As well, there are stores (the hotel is attached to a mall), restaurants, and bars all within a short walk if you're looking to eat on the 'jersey side' or want something quick after leaveing the hotel or returning at nite.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]