Priceline Hotel: 3* DC (Bethesda-Silver Spring) Crowne Plaza Silver Spring

klouwer
By klouwer,
in

Hi Guys,

I'm quite experienced with priceline I have to say :) , but now I don't know what to do.

I'm trying to find a 3.5 and preferably a 4 star hotel within the Washington DC regions:

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

White House - Downtown

Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill area

for 10/04/09 until 10/07/09 - 3 days

In the forum I see all kinds of win for around $80 a night for a 4 start hotel.

I tried bidding up to $110 for the regions above. But still no luck. Is there some conference in town or is it just the peak season? Parhaps waiting util the date gets closer might lower the prices? but they could also go trough the roof!

Please advice.

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

DC is an event driven market... conferences, rallies, and government meetings have a dramatic effect on hotel prices. If there is an event taking place in can quickly spike hotel rates... go doing no events and rates are very affordable (as per the $80 wins at 4* properties you reference)

Rates do seem a little on the high side at the moment, but given the timeframe before your stay, i wouldn't be inclined to chase this one at the moment.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable 4* hotel for these dates thru traditional booking channels? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search) Are any of these rates fully cancellable?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For help with your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC... and indicate how you would intend on traveling between each city, as it's almost an 8 hours trip, which may not be worth the time cutting a day short from one leg of your trip, where you're already spending a short time in each city.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One more point.... Oct is over 3 months away and Priceline may not even have gotten inventory for hotels yet. They usually get inventory (with good prices) within 3 weeks of travel. Crystal City is only 3 metro stops away from the Museums in Downtown DC and they always seem to have great rates...

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that your stay includes weeknights -- Monday-Wednesday nights are the most expensive nights in DC. Hotels tend to drop on Thursdays, and drop even more so for weekend nights. I'd recommend waiting until closer to the date to bid. Right now, I'm sure the hotels would rather not Priceline rooms that can be filled by business travelers paying full price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads-up - that was a question I was about to ask. I guessed it would be pointless booking months in advance but I wasn't sure what the timeframe was when hotels would be looking to fill unsold inventory. I haven't used Priceline yet and my US trip is in 2010 - I'm just hanging around here to pick up tips and tricks and get a feel for how it works.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the follow-up.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]