Successfully cancelled Priceline trip?

suze312
By suze312,
in

Has anyone ever successfully cancelled a Priceline offer you've won? :)

I've used priceline on a few occassions, but I feel this time I was really deceived! Granted, it's been awhile, they probably changed their rules, and I think there's definitely some deceptive advertising now. I even did my homework by reading these threads first...what I got was totally unexpected.

I bid on a 3* hotel, in the Hawaii/Maui-Kaanapali/Lahaina area. I got the Aston Kaanapali Shores. This is why I think I was deceived, please tell me if I'm wrong:

1. The examples provided, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, led me to believe that Priceline's 3-star was actually a 4-5 star. Aston Kaanapali Shores is a real 3 star.

2. The Aston Kaanapali Shores is a CONDOMINIUM RESORT, not a hotel. I did not select Resort as a possibility, only 3-star hotel.

3. I had selected Kaanapali-Lahaina area, this place is WAY north of Kaanapali. But the customer service rep pointed out that there was a detailed view of what the boundary is, and now I do see that. But still, I don't think they should call it Kaanapali-Lahaina when there's hotels/resorts included that are not in Kaanapali or Lahaina.

OK, based on reasons 1 and 2, do I have any recourse here? The customer service rep just kept saying there's no refunds. She said I could call back tomorrow and talk with someone higher up, but I'm not feeling optimistic.

I don't think you have any recourse based upon the reasons you mentioned:

1) Unfortunately ratings are subjective. Priceline will state that their opinion is that the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, and yes, even the Aston Kaanapali Shores should all be rated 3 stars. The problem with ratings in general is that not all hotels within the same chain are equal. There are some Hyatts (for example) that are 3* and some are 4*.

2) When you select a star rating on Priceline it is for the minimum quality that you are willing to accept. So although you did indeed win a 3* property (according to Priceline), it is possible that you could have been upgraded to a 4* or even a true Resort level property.

3) Customer service rep already explained.

You can be persistent and also take the approach that you didn't realize all of the above and if they'll cut you a break (this at least shows them that you take some responsibility for the 'misunderstanding').

I realize (from your posted win) that you didn't get a great deal on this property but the REVIEWS of this property seem pretty good.

If you can't get Priceline to budge, at least get them to refund the difference between what you paid and the hotels rate, since your accepted bid was for more than the hotel's prevailing rate.

Good Luck and let us know if you make any progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]