A newbie from Australia

GrumpySmurf
By GrumpySmurf,
in

Never been to the USA, and have only just heard of Priceline. We are a family of 4 that will be landing in Loas Angeles for a 1 month holiday. The plan is to drive a car, look around, and also get a RV and try that for a bit. Some "Must Do's" for us are: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite.

A few questions for starters please;

1. Does Priceline work for 1-way car rental? I am thinking we want a car for LAX (Airport) all the way to San Francisco (estimate 10 days)

2. Similarly, does Priceline work for RV rentals - is it worth the hassle as this part is complicated and will involve 1 way rental as well?

3. I know it on guarantees occupancy for 2. But we are a young family (9YO & 6 YO kids). Would most 3.5* & 4* allow kids? And how could we be confident to book?

4. I assume if we need a room from 9am onwards (after a long haul flight), booking for the previous day is the best way to go?

5. Lastly, does anyone know of any Forum style webpage where I can ask many simple stupid questions like "when and where in California does it start snowing?" etc etc.

TIA

Welcome to BetterBidding!

1. Does Priceline work for 1-way car rental? I am thinking we want a car for LAX (Airport) all the way to San Francisco (estimate 10 days)
One-way rentals are available in a few select city pairs, but currently LAX-->SFO is not one of them.
2. Similarly, does Priceline work for RV rentals - is it worth the hassle as this part is complicated and will involve 1 way rental as well?
RV is not a selectable car class via PRICELINE, and most "major" car rental companies in the US don't offer these... they're more of a specialty rental which are done thru companies which only rent these type of vehicles.
3. I know it on guarantees occupancy for 2. But we are a young family (9YO & 6 YO kids). Would most 3.5* & 4* allow kids? And how could we be confident to book?
Usually the issue is not if the hotel allows chidlren, it's more so if you can get a room which accomodates quad occupancy. Since PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy you could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may be unable, or unwilling, to change your room to one with two beds. Depeding upon the city this can be a small or a big risk. If this is a 'dealbreaker' for you then HOTWIRE may be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensures sleeping accomodations for everyone you include in your search. (althugh the "second bed" could be a pullout sofabed or a rollaway brought into the room)
4. I assume if we need a room from 9am onwards (after a long haul flight), booking for the previous day is the best way to go?
Yes, if you wanted to be sure that you didn't have to wait for a room upon arrival... but not sure if most here would be willing to spend the money for the extra nite to check-in 3-5 hours early, but it's up to you. HOWEVER, if you do book in this manner be sure to contact the hotel before your arrival and let them know when you'll be arriving so they don't treat your reservation as a "no show" and cancel the remainder of the booking.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]