Priceline Hotel: Where to stay outside central NYC and is it worth the saving?

blahdog
By blahdog,
in

Hi all,

I'm due to arrive in NYC (JFK) very early on 15/09/09 and leave late evening 17/09/09, so I need a hotel for two nights.

Originally, I wanted to stay somewhere very central and was willing to pay whatever - but since then I've extended my trip to the US and need to cut down on the expenditure!

When I visit London with the wife, I sometimes stay ~40 minutes on the tube away from central London and make our way in and out, once a day. I'm thinking of applying this to when we're in NYC as it saves us lots of money in London.

Is it worth trying to save money on staying outside the centre of NYC and if so, where would you recommend? I prefer to stay in Marriott/ICH/Hilton and 3.5/4* upwards so I need to bear that in mind. I don't want to be travelling for too long each day but if the savings are there, I need to consider it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the site.

I'll let those more familiar with the areas around NYC chime in on alternate suggestions and details on getting in from areas outside the city, but in terms of NYC, it certainly seems a tad expensive on these dates. While I would usually suggest staying in Midtown NYC rather than staying outside the city...

...I'm seeing 3.5*-4* properties on HOTWIRE in Midtown for $240-300+, as well as a 3* for $149 in Midtown Central (likely the Holiday Inn on 57th; wouldn't be a huge discount off what you can get it for on Orbitz with a coupon), whereas a 3* in the JFK area (shuttle breakfast fitness 'net - likely the Best Western) is $83. HOTWIRE doesn't offer above a 3* in the JFK area.

While you could do better with PRICELINE, the above gives you at least a general idea of the price differences in terms of staying in NYC vs. JFK.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links when you do decide to book this trip, and please ask any questions you may have.

Thanks Aaron.

Would you say the HI on 57th is a good enough hotel (location wise)? I'd love to stay there so long as it's well placed to get the subway or even walk to places. $149 is definitely a price I'm willing to pay; as you say, NYC is very expensive over my dates!

The location of the Holiday Inn on 57th St should work well for your needs... you're near the Columbus Circle subway station which gives you access to 3 different subway lines (the A, B, C, D, and 1 trains all stop there).

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Orbitz if you go that route)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks very much guys. Looks like I'll not have to stay in a dusty 2* behind JFK then!

At the current exchange rate, $298 is not too bad so I may consider this one. With 13 weeks to go until I go, is it worth me holding out for better rates elsewhere do you think?

Thanks again

You could bid on PRICELINE for a comparable hotel (a 3* or 3.5*) in one of the Midtown zones and see if you are accepted at a lower rate than what HOTWIRE is offering for the HI.

However, when you bid on PRICELINE, while you will very likely pay less, you have less control over where you end up than on HOTWIRE. For example, when you bid for a 3* in the Midtown West area on PRICELINE, you could end up at any of the possible 3*'s in that zone.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]