Priceline Hotel: NY 4* 11/11-14 Midtown Preferred

jeff
By jeff,
in

Any bidding advice as to when I should start bidding on rooms? In July, I stayed at the Sofitel for $179 and bid a couple of weeks before my trip. Would prefer MT but not MTE.

Basically, does your luck increase as you get closer to the day or is there a real chance that most hotels will fill up.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It's not that all the hotels will completely sold-out, but their occupancy is high enough that there is no need to give discounted inventory to Priceline or Hotwire.

July is also very different than the fall... summer is one of the slowest times in NYC while the fall is one of the busiest.

Do you consider UM/CPS part of midtown? What is your bidding limit?

I always favor bidding earlier rather than last minute, but here are some other thoughts on the subject: BID PRICELINE EARLY or LATE.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

First of all, GO BLUE!

I am up for CPS MS or MTW. Don't really want to get stuck too far East MTE (assuming the 4 stars go past 3rd Ave.) I would like to stay under 180ish but can go a bit higher if need be.

Also, can I expect that the 4 star hotels will have High Speed Internet? I know that The Helmsley doesn't but according to other travel sites it's only a 3.5* so even if it's a Priceline hotel, perhaps it wouldn't show up?

I am open to your suggestions. The logic of bidding early sounds pretty good to me. Where would you suggest starting price wise?

Before moving forward, i don't think that you can guarnatee hi-speed internet use at a 4* hotel... many do, but it's not a certainty. There are work arounds for just about everything in NYC, so you could always find an internet cafe to use if you were in a jam, but this may not be the most convenient if you needed access in the middle of the nite OR the most cost effective if you need hours and hours of use.

If you can accept the risk of no hi-speed internet then we can proceed with a Priceline strategy, otherwise you may want to consider Hotwire and only choosing a hotel with the hi-speed internet amenity icons shown. We can try to help you identify a Hotwire hotel if you decide to go that route.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Given current prices I don't think a 4* at $180 is going to be successful. But since you have time you can try the following:

At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones, if you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE REBIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask any questions that you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Select 4* MTW and...

Bid $150, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $160, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $180.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes.

No, re-bidding is adding zones that only contain star levels lower than the star level you are bidding.

It is explained in more detail in the link above, but if you're still confused after reading (some are) there is an exercise at the end of the thread that you should begin and will help us explain it to you further.

Two good things about quickbook:

1) Only their 'pre-pay' rates have a $10 cancellation fee... their 'pay when you stay' rates are fully refundable

2) This board is an affiliate of QUICKBOOK so you can support the board with your purchases

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this property, but the REVIEWS make it seem as if the property has taken a turn for the better.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]