Priceline Hotel: seeking 4* in downtown Victoria B.C.

bama
By bama,
in

Hi Everyone,

I have been bidding on Priceline for a 4* in downtown Victoria B.C. for about a week in the $90-$100 range.

So far, no luck.

Since there are no 3.5* hotels in this area, can I add the 3.5 level as a "free re-bid" for the 4* level?

Since there are no 3.5* hotels in this area, can I add the 3.5 level as a "free re-bid" for the 4* level?

PRICELINE offers 3.5* bidding in this area... what makes you believe that there are no 3.5* hotels available in this zone?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The user of the thread above never purchased the hotel, but the user of this thread won the Hotel Grand Pacific with the amenities above:

Hotwire Hotel Grand Pacific

There are never any guarantees as there is always a chacne of another hotel in the same zone having the same exact star rating and amenity combination as this property, and the above could be something other than the Grand Pacific, but all the pieces of the puzzle seem to point in that direction so the Grand Pacific would be our best guess.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After bidding unsuccessfully in the $80-$115 range for the last 10 days, I broke down and bid $125.

I got the "Counter Offer" for the first time (see below).

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Try Again Right Now

We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we can't accept your offer of $125 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number X. If you are willing to raise your price by $22, you can try the same request again right now.

Normally you are required to change additional items (add zones, star level, or dates) in order to try your request again. However we are able to extend this one-time opportunity to you because of the zone, quality level and dates you requested.

You basically know that you will very likely be successful between $126-$147...

When was this bid made and was this your first bid in the zone? (if not, how many re-bid zones had you used) How high are you willing to bid for a 4* hotel for this stay?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

As far as I can tell, I have 1 initial bid and 3 "free rebids" available for a 4* in downtown Victoria:

- 4* Victoria

- 4* Victoria + Airport

(exit and start a new bid)

- 3.5* Victoria

- 3.5* Victoria + Airport

Yesterday, I started at $95 and increased each bid by $10 until the 4th bid got me to $125.

Previously, I started lower and incremented by smaller amounts, so I never reached $125 before.

You can't use the "retail" version of PRICELINE to determine your re-bid zones when bidding. See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ and ask any question you may have.

The correct (and only) way to determine your re-bid zones is explained here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Unless you are willing to accept a 3.5* in Victoria it would NOT be recommended to use that as a re-bid zone.

How high are you willing to bid for a 4* property?

So you've already bid up to your limit for a 4* and not willing to go any higher?

Not much else you can do than continue to wait it out and hope lower priced inventory becomes available between now and your travel dates.

What are the date(s) of your stay?

The Delta Ocean Pointe Resort is available for $137/night from several travel websites, so stopping at $125 on Priceline is sensible, I think. However, it is possible that rates at 4* properties will go up, not down, in the next month (July is peak tourist season in Victoria). If you really want a 4* property, you may want to consider locking in at $137, especially since you've already bid $125.

If you thought that $125 was already too high (which I'm inferring from your "broke down" comment) and you want to wait for a better deal to come up, then I recommend that you make a backup reservation in case one doesn't. Make absolutely sure that you can cancel your backup reservation without penalty.

You can find the $137/nite rate at Orbitz where you can use coupon code deal0hotel for 10% off... bringing your cost down to ~$124/nite, just under the $125 price you have already bid. As well, doublecheck the cancellation terms yourself, but it appears to be cancellable up until a day before check-in for a $25 charge (which would be better than if your PRICELINE bid was accepted above), you know the hotel you'll receive, and you can enter your bed type preference.

Does this work for your needs?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Orbitz link if you go with the above)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]