Priceline Hotel: Hotel for 12/3--one night NJ or NY?

Southern Belle
By Southern Belle,
in

I'm new to this board, and really need some information before deciding what to do.

I need a room for 3 people (2 adults, one teenager), and I've noticed that the rates in NYC are through the roof! I think budget wise it would be best to stay in the Jersey City area, but the NE Corrider train may not connect to the PATH train to get us there. We don't want to carry luggage around in NYC all day, but at this point I'm just totally unsure of what to do. Could we get a connection at the Newark station and switch to the PATH train? If so, that would help me decide which hotels to bid for. If not, should I look into hotels at Weehawken, as it looks like the train passes right by there. I would love to try for the Hyatt Regency at $37, and it looks like I will have to bid on 2 rooms to make sure we have the right bedding for everyone.

Any advice?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Depending upon where you train stops, you can connect to the PATH from Newark Penn Station. If your train goes direct into New York Penn Station, the PATH train is an easy one block walk away (and i would go to the hotel first to drop off your bags and then head back into the city).

I wouldn't consider Weehawken, the zone is very large and the train does not pass thru there. The best case scenario in Weehawken would be the Sheraton Suites, but even then you could need to get on the PATH to Hoboken and then take the Light Rail from Hoboken to Weekhawken... Jersey City would be much easier.

I would recommend trying the $37 rate for a 3* hotel in Jersey City.

Let us know how it goes and/or what you decide to do.

I'm quite familiar with the area so any additional questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, I just found out from my niece that we will be on the Northeast Corridor Line which does not pass through Penn Sta. as I earlier had thought. Our line goes directly into Penn Sta. in NYC, so we would not be able to get a hotel there as I had looked in to earlier today. I don't know this area at all, and I do have a back-up for about $179 night in lower Manhattan.

I'm still looking at my map of the NJ Transit, and it still looks to me as if the NE Corridor line runs through Penn Sta. in Newark, but my niece tells me this is not so. I'm really confused now. I had looked at the Hilton in Newark at the Penn Sta. location earlier today, and thought just as you mentioned that we could drop off our bags, then continue on into the city.

Can you help me clarify this?

Sorry, but I did try the $37 bid for the 3* Jersey City hotel already with no acceptance.

THIS MAP certainly makes it appear that the NE Corridor does pass thru Newark. Some trains may operate Express and not actually stop there, but HERE is a timetable and you can see all the stops depending upon the time you intend on leaving/arriving.

Even if the train does not stop at Newark, as i said above, you could easily take a quick run to your hotel (via PATH), check-in and drop off your bags, and then return to the city.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

BTW, I should add to this that I checked, and the Hyatt Regency, Doubletree, and Courtyard all show availability for this date. The rates are---

Hyatt---$239 (prepay)

Courtyard ---$129

Doubletree --- $184

I think the Hilton at the Newark Penn Sta. was about $119. These rates all came from the hotel's web sites. Most of NYC shows up as sold out for this date, so I'm starting to wonder if there is a good deal to be had anywhere.

As I understand you (thereuare), we could ride the train all the way out to Penn Sta. in NYC, then get on the PATH train and take it back to Jersey City to drop off our bags. Is that correct? How much time does that involve? About 40 minutes or so?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to make a game plan, and get an idea of what I'll need to do.

Thanks so much for your help!

If you could accept that Courtyard rate and it's cancellable i would book that as a back-up. Based upon rated at the Hyatt i think you could ultimately have success there... but better have a cancellable back-up just in case. Note this user whose JERSEY CITY HYATT bid was rejected about 1 months out... 3 days later the exact same bid was accepted.

Yes, i'm suggesting that you could take the train into New York Penn Station, then PATH to hotel in NJ to check-in and drop off bags, then PATH back to NYC. PATH fare is $1.50 (or less with multiple ride cards) and the travel time on the train should take 17 minutes or so... so add a little time to account for waiting for the train (5 minutes?) and time to check-in at the hotel.

Yes, I think the rate at the Courtyard is cancellable. I think I've messed my PL bidding up, though. I first tried this a few days ago (mostly out of curiousity, and hoping to get a cheap hotel!), then I thought my 72 hrs. were up, but PL is telling me it is a duplicate bid. I read your message about how the PL clock gets started over when you do that, and I think it must be true!

Thanks for your patience with me, and my attempts at figuring out the transportation system and hotels!

Well, my lockout time expired today, so I decided to try for the Hyatt Regency again, or at least Jersey City. I bid $38 for a 3* in the Jersey City area, but was not accepted.

Should I just keep trying this every 72 hrs., and stay around that amount, and if so is there a free rebid zone for this area? It looks like all the others have 3*also, so maybe not. Hotwire shows what I think to be this property at $208/night, and on Hyatt's website the rate is $239.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]