Priceline Hotel: NYC 10/11-14

dook3
By dook3,
in

New to PL and am hoping for a bidding strategy to help secure a 4* room for 10/11-14 in Times Square area (MTW). I'm willing to go to MTE or other suggested areas not too far from others in my group in Times Square. I have a backup reservation, but am hoping to get a better deal or better hotel than my $225/night at the Crowne Plaza. Appreciate the assistance.

Without going too much into the technicalities... try this:

Select MTW as the area, and 4 stars, start at $150...

if rejected go to $160 and add UM/CPS...

if rejected, go to $170 while adding MTS(a free re-bid zone, as there are no 4 stars there)...

if rejected, then go to $180 and add UES(free re-bid zone)

if rejected, add MTE and stay at $180

Wow, I am sounding like thereuare now... lol!

Too bad, i was hoping you could get it for $180 or less.

Have you thought about a 3 star hotel? If so, check the list of 3 star hotels in the areas that you want, and if they are generally acceptable, then you could add that star level.

If you do, then repeat the same process, except like this:

Start a new bid with the 3 star level, at say, $135 a nite, starting with UM/CPS, then

if rejected, add MTW and go to $145

if rejected add MTE and go to $155

Just remember, you should be willing to stay at any of the 3 star places, as there is no guarantee which one you will get. I just stayed at the Park Central, and it was pretty nice. The Hudson in the UM/CPS area has very small rooms, I hear.

If you really want to get a 4 star, then i suggest waiting 72 hours, then repeat what you did the first time, but start at $165, then raise $10 each try with a max of $195

Sorry, just to add, if the quality of the hotel room is slightly more important than saving around $40 per night or so, then I would wait and try the 4 stars again later. But, the 3 star places are not that far behind the 4 star places in terms of quality, but it just depends on the place you get. Good luck!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Be careful... MTS is not a re-bid zone when bidding 4* as there are indeed 4 star hotels there.

Am i correct that the first two nites of your Crowne Plaza stay are less expensive than the last nite? Are you willing to change hotels at all during your stay?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your insight Mr. Drew. I think I will re-try in 72 hours, taking into account thereuare's MTS 4* condition.

thereuare - you obviously know your stuff as I do have a cheaper rate at the Crowne Plaza for nights first two nights with a bump up to $260 for the third night. I don't really want to switch hotels. Let me know if there are any other strategies to consider.

The Crown Plaza is fairly easily identifiable thru Hotwire... you can try searching for your dates, as well as 10/11-10/13, and just for 10/14. If you can find this hotel for any of the above, you can then keep select dates of your current reservation and 'replace' them with the cheaper Hotwire selection. However, i tried a few searches and couldn't find the Crowne Plaza to appear for any of the above combinations. With this stay rapidly approaching i don't put much faith in it suddenly appearing, but it's at least an approach worth looking at once a day or so.

You could try bidding 3* in an attempt to beat your current rate at the Crowne Plaza, but although you may get a better rate you may or may not like the 3* hotel better than the Crowne Plaza.

I did find QUICKBOOK has the Park Central Hotel for $199/nite. You can read recent HOTEL REVIEWS of this property from users of this board as well as those HERE and compare them to those for the Crowne Plaza.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, thanks! I didn't know there was a 4* in MTS. Good to know for my next trip there.

Dook, since the time is short, on your next bid you may want to bump the 4* level up to $205 or $210, since you will get only one more shot at it, so try this:

Start your new bid with UM/CPS(this is the best area in NY, imo) at $210 a night for 4 stars,

if rejected, then add MTW and lower the bid amount to $170,

if rejected, then add MTE and raise the bid amount to $185

if rejected, then add UES(free re-bid zone) and raise to $195

If all these are rejected, you might consider the 3 star places. If Quickbook has the Park Central for $199, then based on what I have seen in the past, you can probably get it for less on Priceline(it is in the UM/CPS area) for maye $145-150. I just stayed there, and is a nice enough hotel, with a great location.

Good luck!! Thereuare, thanks also.. you are the man!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]