Priceline Hotel: 4* Soho 6/3-6/7 (unsuccessful bids)

Flockster
By Flockster,
in

Hi all,

I've searched both PL itself and this board, but couldn't find an explanation of what "$ Best deal" would indicate when selecting the star level at PL. Any idea appreciated.

To give a concrete example, for my travel date, NYC, 06/03-06/07, Downtown/Soho 4* has a median of $332 and 3,5* has one of $317. Yet, 3,5* is indicated as "Best deal"...

And to follow-up the question, how do I get my bid right to match the "best deal"?!?

Thanks, Flockster

Just started a new round for the above dates at $100, and then, adding Chelsea $110 - still no luck.

does anyone know, if Brooklyn, Bronx, or LI really have no 4*, then I could add one of them as a second dummy...

Also starting to seriously contemplate UWS (and MTE)...

Thanks, Flockster

you should read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Before each bidding session, check and unchheck the box for each zone and note the highest rated hotel for each zone. If the highest rated property has a lower star rating than the star rating that you are bidding for, then this is a rebid zone. Zones can change at any time so you should check for rebid zones before you bid.

Bronx is not a bidding zone in the NYC area, it is a stand alone zone with 1* properties like Econo Lodge and Howard Johnson.

There's 5 rebid zones for your example, can you list these all?

Thanks!

I think I understand the re-bidding; was rather wondering, how safe zones like Brooklyn, LI, the airports are to re-bid for a 4*. There are no properties listed as 4*, but they might find something at, say, JFK, and then you're stuck.

Do you know of cases, when PL finds you hotels that are not listed in the fixed price section?

Thanks again, Flockster

It appears that you don't have an understanding of how to determine your re-bid zones... you DON'T want to use the 'retail' version of PRICELINE to determine the star levels in each zone.

If you go to PRICELINE, do a search for your dates and on the page with the zones listed, select the first zone (BROOKLYN) and then scroll down and see which star levels are able to be selected... make a note of the highest star level available in this zone.

Next, UNCHECK the box next to Brooklyn and place a checkmark in the box of the next zone (CENTRAL PARK SOUTH) and note the highest star level in this zone.

repeat the process for each zone, making sure that only ONE zone is selected each time you look at the star ratings.

List each NYC zone and the highest star rating you've found and we'll confirm you have everything correct up to this point, then we'll proceed.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for this, but don't I get the whole information by selecting Matrix view of the results for my travel dates?!?

No... the "name your own price" and the "retail" version of PRICELINE each use a different universe of hotels. As well, they use different zone name and boundaries, which is why you keep referencing areas such as Long Island, Airports, etc which aren't an option if you use the method outlined above :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again, I know they use different zones - that's where the original problem was, not being sure to get Soho, beacuse of the grouping with Wallstreet... But didn't know, it was independent from the "retail" version...

Do you know, how they come up with the "$ Best Deal" designation?

Soho is still grouped with Wall Street in both the "name your own price" and "retail" sections of PRICELINE.

Ignore the "best value" designation, it's not meaningful to your bidding strategy.

If you'd still like help with the above please confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]