Priceline Hotel: Las Vegas Dec 3 to 5

ontheroad97
By ontheroad97,
in

Hello,

I've used Priceline quite a bit in the past, and was happy to discover your site. I am planning a two-night trip to Vegas on December 3 and 4th, and looking for a place on the strip.

I'm certain this question must have been asked before, but here goes again: If I'm looking for say a 4* hotel, and I'm trying for a nice one (New York, New York for instance), is it better to start with a slightly higher bid? Another way to ask is if my initial bid is lower, will I be more likely to end up in a "lesser" hotel (like the Westin)?

This is a question I always had and would love to know the answer to!

Thanks for the great site!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We too are glad you found this site. :)

Regarding bidding higher for a 'better' hotel, here is a thread on that subject: DON'T BID HIGHER FOR A SPECIFIC HOTEL.

You mention the Westin... if you were get that hotel, would it be acceptable to you? (as it's not directly on the strip, which you say you want, but is a possibility when bidding Priceline's 'strip area' zone). If it's not acceptable, Hotwire may be a viable alternative.

With the above noted, here is another thread with my personal thoughts on Priceline and Hotwire in Vegas: Las Vegs One Exception I Don't Use Priceline.

Fortunately the time you are going is a slow time and deals should be fairly prevalent. What is your expected budget? We'll then take a look and see what the best case scenario is for Priceline vs. Hotwire vs. Non-Opaque Booking.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow, you're quick to reply!

Thanks for the link to the thread about higher bidding. This is what I suspected but never actually heard it said. I have read all the threads you directed me to as well. This site is a wealth of information!

Regarding the stay in Vegas, I spoke with the other party, and we both think a four-star will be fine, and our upper limit is $100 to $120 per night. Although we'd prefer to stay on the Strip, it's not a big deal either way if we were to end up with the Westin.

So, my guess is Priceline might work for us. What do you feel would be the best strategy?

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks for the compliments on the site... we try our best.

I think the best strategy would be to wait another month and take a look at this as the end of October... the hotel market in Vegas is unlike and any other and prices can change in the blink of an eye (or the roll of the dice).

I would suggest locking in a price now with a refundable reservation. Depending upon your tastes/needs/budget i found for your dates (all directly at the hotel's website, which usually allows full refunds up until 2-3 days before arrival, but double-check the terms of whatever reservation you make):

Flamingo $95/nite

Bally's $129/nite

NYNY $139/nite

Personally i prefer the mid-strip location of the Flamingo and Bally's to the Four Corner's of NYNY, so i would sooner go with one of the first two choices, but it's up to you depending upon your tastes.

I would then continue to monitor rates for the next month, make other cancellable reservations if/when better values presented themselves, and then take a closer look at Priceline in the last month in an attempt to beat the best rate you have reserved at that time.

The above would be my advice but if you'd rather bid immediately and not have to check rates for the next month we'll be happy to suggest a strategy to beat whatever you believe your best alternative currently is.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it doesn't seem like the Venetian is going to happen in my price range for the times of my trip.

I've got the (refundable) Flamingo reserved as a backup, but am willing to bid on a 4* hotel on the strip, knowing I might end up at the Westin. I'd like to keep it under $95/night, which is what I've got at the Flamingo, but would be willing to go up to $110/night for a good deal. Can anyone suggest a bidding strategy/starting price?

Thanks!

Dec 3rd is the first day of the rodeo... the only 'big' event that can increase prices in the month of December.

I don't think you'll be successful on Priceline for a 4* at $95 or less, but if you want to try it, you have four re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding you can learn more about it in PRICELINE BIDDING 72 HOURS, feel free to ask any questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board. I would proceed as follows:

Select 4* Strip and...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone and....

Bid $95

Rates have gone up since you reserved (which is why we recommended booking a cancellable back-up) and i think the Flamingo is going to be your best deal/value.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delay in responding...internet problems occurred and I hadn't mean to leave this post open!

Everyone was correct--it was difficult to find good deals in Vegas at the time I was going due to the rodeo.

The Flamingo ended up being the best deal at $95/night (booked directly through the Flamingo website), and was perfect for our needs. Location was great, and although it was no Venetian, it was clean and comfy. We also did have the ability to cancel for a full refund if we found a great deal, but the Venetian ended up being sky-high at this time on Hotwire.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]