Weekend getaway suggestions

like2cruise
By like2cruise,
in

We have some free plane tickets that my husband earns with United fly 3 get 1 free promotions. Of course they are very capacity controlled and lots of black out dates. I hate to see them go to waste and we can't use them during time when we usually take our cruises etc. So we have decided to try for a weekend getaway with our daughter who has moved to college.

Las Vegas was my original choice, but there is no availability for the 11/5-11/7 dates we are wanting to go.

They work for many other areas however. We live near Des Moines, Iowa and are looking for suggestions

for a location that we will not spend all our time flying and one that you think would be easy to bid with priceline and get a hotel in an area with ability to walk to local areas of interest and reasonably priced restaurants.

Any suggestions appreciated. I know this may just be too general for a lot of help, but thought I would try!!!

I haven't considered Priceline availability yet, but personally i'm partial to big cities rather than beaches.

The first cities that comes to mind are NY and Chicago, but by the beginning of November you may already be trying to get away from the cold... which brings to mind New Orleans, LA, San Diego, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Phoenix (some great resorts).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Or, you could shoot for Denver or Colorado Springs. You could rent a car for a day and drive into the mountains to see the aspens change into their fall colors and then spend the rest of the weekend walking around the city. This is a nice time to visit because the snow bunnies aren't here for the slopes, and the weather is still pleasant.

Windy

Edited to note: I didn't see the 11/5-11/7 dates. :) However, I still think that Colorado would be pleasant at that time. :)

I kind of got excited about the Resort Phoenix (Scottsdale) Hyatt Regency Scttsdle post that I saw someone with a winning bid around our dates for a fabulous price. It was perfect...beach, golf, water park. However, sold out for that date according to the Hyatt web site. Darn :-) I have that Friday off so that weekend was a good choice.

My daughter would love the Denver option, but she is going to be a snowbunny there in December!

Thanks so much. I am open for any other suggestions. My daughter has always wanted to go to New York. Can you get good deals there? I will go visit that area. Thanks again! :)

Montreal, Quebec ... it's honestly like visiting Europe without actually going so far and spending that much. United and Air Canada partner for flights so you may have a better chance for availability. I would also suggest other Canadian cities like Toronto, Halifax, or beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Vancouver!!! Canadian hotel prices are very reseaonable too.

In the US ... I'd say Chicago ... we see great suburb hotels (Hyatt's) showing up in the high 20's low 30's.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]