Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark-Meadowlands (Jersey City) Westin

arnovdb
By arnovdb,
in

Hi

We (2 adults/1 kid) are coming from the north (Ithaca) by car and are staying 2 nights in New York.

We arrive July 29 in the afternoon

July 30 we are going to the Mets afternoon game and after the game we want to visit Manhattan by subway (We have been in Manhattan a few times).

Hotwire has 2 hotels both 99 usd a night.

3 star with amenities (I think this is the Holiday Inn La Guardia?)

shuttle

fitness

pool

restaurant

business center

high speed internet access

tripadvisor 4 (40+)

2,5 star with amenities ( I can't find which hotel this is)

shuttle

comp breakfast

fitness center

high speed internet access

tripadvisor 3 (20+)

Is it easy to reach Queens by car (we have GPS) from Ithaca?

Do you think this is a good deal or can we better give it a try on Priceline?

I saw that some people win the Holiday Inn at Priceline

We think about staying in Queens or in the New Jersey area, what do you advise us?

Thank you!!!

Arno, The Netherlands

Personally, I think the Newark/Jersey City area has quite a bit more in the way of hotel selection, but I'm not from the area, so I'm not sure regarding getting around.

While this would be a bit out of the way, if you didn't want to drive the whole way or have the car when you're in the NYC area, you could drive from Utica to Syracuse and then take the Amtrak train to NYC. Then, given the fact that you wouldn't have to pay for parking, you could attempt to stay in NYC. The train ride from Syracuse into NYC is absolutely gorgeous (especially the stretch from Albany into NYC, which goes along the Hudson River all the way into NYC.) Just a thought.

There are two HOTWIRE zones in Queens, LaGuardia-Flushing and Long Island City-Elmhurst. Which zone did these hotels appear in? What is your budget per night?

Is it easy to reach Queens by car (we have GPS) from Ithaca?

The drive from Ithaca to NJ is painless, once you make any of the bridge or tunnel crossings into NY do things get difficult. Having a GPS will make things easier.

Do you think this is a good deal or can we better give it a try on Priceline?

You can usually do better with PRICELINE, but you run the risk of getting sleeping accomodations for only 2.

We think about staying in Queens or in the New Jersey area, what do you advise us?

rates in NYC are at levels not seen for many years, so parking your car and taking the train or some form of public transportation into the city and staying there would be your best option if your budget would allow. Coming in From Ithaca, I guess its possible to park at the Middletown, NY train station and take NJ Transit's Port Jervis line into Hoboken, if you end up in Manhattan, you will transfer at Secaucus Junction. The daily parking fee is $3.50 per day and the Adult Off Peak fare is $22.00.

While the $22 off-peak fare (which i'm assuming is per adult and one way) i think wipes up a lot of the savings, i do think that staying in Manhattan is the right idea... this would give you a lot more time to enjoy the city and in effect 'extend' the value of your trip by giving you more time to explore Manhattan as well as an overall better NYC experience.

If you're willing to extend your budget just a bit ($20/nite??) i would think there would be cheaper mass transit options closer to NYC, or you can find a NJ Park N Ride option (via bus) where you can park overnite for 2 days and stay directly in the city. Jersey City would give you nicer hotels than Flushing for about the same price, but parking is expensive, as well as the trip to Shea for the game would be a bit on the long side to be considered 'convenient'.

Your thoughts?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Regarding our planning, I think it will be better for us to stay in Queens.

We arrive at about 4 pm in New York.

The next day we are going to the Mets at noon.

The following day we are driving to Baltimore.

Do you think that our guess voor Holiday inn La Guardia is a good guess?

The Holiday Inn La Guardia is in walking distance to both Citi Field and the subway

Thanks

yes, the 3* with the following amenities: Airport Shuttle, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access match those of the Holiday Inn. This is now $95 when searching for 2 Adults and 1 Child. This hotel offers free parking and its in a good location. I am surprised this is being offered on HOTWIRE with a Mets game scheduled. Good luck!

Please use the HOTWIRE links on the board if you proceed.

HOTWIRE uses a variable mark-up so the price offered may differ slightly from on user's search to another user's search. If you wait a full 24 hours and re-do your HOTWIRE search you may see a different rate than what you're currently seeing... but keep in mind it may also be higher than the $100 you're currently being offered.

It's generally good policy not to sweat the small price differences and focus more on the bigger savings you're seeing vs. a coventionally booked room. Also keep in mind that while you wait to see the hotel $5 cheaper, not only can it get $5 more expensive, but the offering can also disappear entirely... best advice is if you're seeing a good deal then take it, not worry if you potentially leave a few dollars on the table.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

My first time PRICELINE hotel!!! (using your link, of course)

First bid $85 and directly accepted thanks to your advice.

We are going with 2 adults and 1 kid of 8 years old.

We know that there is a chance that we get a room with 1 bed.

Do you advise us to contact the hotel directly for a room with two beds or an extra rollawaybed or can we better try it if we arrive in the hotel?

Can I contact the hotel only by phone or also by e-mail? E-mail is easier for us (writing english is easier than talking english)

By the way, we are going to stay in Jersey City and not in Queens. We are going to visit the Mets game by path train or bus and subway.

Thanks

Arno

Congrats on your success!

Glad to see you received a terrific deal for this hotel. I would recommend writing the hotel, then if you don't get a response within a couple of weeks, calling the hotel. While you would not get any rewards since this is a discounted PRICELINE reservation, you may want to try signing up for the Starwood Preferred Guest (spg.com) program, which is free. You would then include your SPG number when you write the hotel. Again, that may not get you any benefit, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using the site's PRICELINE link to start your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

By the way, we are going to stay in Jersey City and not in Queens. We are going to visit the Mets game by path train or bus and subway.
You have two options for this (depending upon time of day will determine which is better):

1) PATH train to 33rd St, then walk to Times Square and take the 7 subway train

2) PATH train to 33rd St, then take LIRR train to the stadium

Method #1 is cheaper but if requires a long walk from 33rd St to the 7 Train

Method #2 is a little more expensive, shorter walk to Penn Station, much quicker to the stadium (but then again you might like the 'commrodary' of everyone going to the game... you'll see a LOT of Mets shirts and hats on the subway)

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]