Priceline Hotel: Help for Ramsey, NJ - 10/20-22

heinous
By heinous,
in

Hi! I've been loving Priceline (and this board) so much lately that I thought I'd try bidding for my hotel on my regular trips to Ramsey for business. I normally stay at the Wellesley Inn in Ramsey, and I get an Entertainment rate of $50. I don't know if I can beat this using Priceline, but if I can get something a little better for the price (like with high-speed internet), then it would be great.

I do want to stay in the Ramsey area since I'm there to meet with a company located in Ramsey, but I will have a car, so I can drive a few miles.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Slightly off topic, but when you're in the area a must do is to go to KINCHLEY'S TAVERN for pizza (full details and a description in that prior thread)

Are you looking to spend less for a similar quality hotel or spend the same for a higher quality hotel... or either is fine?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Either is fine... the Wellesley Inn is ok, but slightly depressing. But I'd still stay somewhere equivalent for less. But I guess I'd rather get something better for the same price.

Thanks for the restaurant tip! I'm a food lover, and I can never find anywhere to eat! I don't know the area well, so all I can find are the chain restaurants on the highway. I'll definitely check it out next month!

Oh, also off topic... I stopped by Bottle King last time I was there. It looked (and sounded) from the street like a low-rent liquor store, but I was so pleasantly surprised! It was a really lovely wine shop with a great cheese counter and a lot of interesting bottles. That was a great find right on the highway.

Thanks for your help! :)

I would try bidding your limit for a 3* in the area. Since you don't want to pay more than your Wellesley Inn rate i assume that would be about $45 or so (this will probably put you over your WI rate by a $1 or $2). I know the Sheraton Crossroads is in this zone and 3* rated, but i think it goes for a bit more than $45.

If 3* is rejected i would try for 2.5* at $37.

If that is rejected and you wanted to take a chance to save some money then you could try 2* at $30... but realize although you may save money you may not like the hotel more than the Wellesley Inn.

Don't know how you weigh the decision of a nicer hotel vs. a longer commute, but the Woodcliff Lake zone isn't too far away and does have 3* hotels (i know of at least the Woodcliff Lake Hilton) which sometimes can be had for under $50/nite.

Other Restaurants in the area:

Grand Buffet- actually an excellent chinese buffet. Dinner is only $11 or $12 and is well worth the money (i occaisionally make the trip there from Hoboken, 35 minutes, because it's such a good deal and the food is good). As with any buffet, best to go during a busy time so that the food is replaced often and the food in the trays is fresh. They use small serving trays here so as long as it's not really quiet the food is indeed replaced frequently. I'm not a crab eater but if you are, on the buffet are crab legs (every nite except Friday i believe) and lots of people go there just for the crab legs. It is on the Southbound side of Route 17, just before Lake St, across from the Pathmark shopping center.

Allendale Bar and Grille (aka- AB&G)

67 W. Allendale Avenue

Allendale, NJ 07401

(201) 327-3197

I've been a few times and found it's ok pub food, but the place is a local institution and where the local young crowd hang out. If in the area i'd sooner go to Kinchley's or the Chinese Buffet, but if you're in the mood for a burger or sandwich it's likely a better choice than the cookie-cutter chain restaurants.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Just wanted to post my unsuccessful bids. :)

I bid on 10/16 for a hotel for 10/20-10/22, in the Mahwah-Ramsey-Allendale area only:

Bid $45 for 3*, rejected

Bid $37 for 2.5*, rejected

Bid $30 for 2*, rejected.

I tried to bid again today, but it wouldn't let me, saying that I had to wait 72 hours. Today should be 72 hours, right?

Thanks for your help, though! I will definitely try the pizza place and the Chinese buffet. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]