Hotwire Hotel: Chicago in August! :)

AngS1967
By AngS1967,
in

I thought I should start a new topic as I now have somewhat specific dates for our second trip to beautiful Chicago. :)

We are looking for July 1st or 2nd to July 5th (3 or 4 nights, depending upon deals/costs) available.

It is for my daughter and I at this point, but we may have friends join us, so best to look for 2 adults, 2 children.

We would be interested in either the Mag Mile or State Street areas.

Thanks as always to BB!

Angela :)

p.s. AaronB have you made it to Dominick's for the carrot cake yet? :o

No carrot cake yet - I wish, as carrot cake sounds awfully good right now. I just haven't been near a Dominicks. :) :)

As I noted in your other thread:

Taste of Chicago is going on around that time, which is immensely popular. However, to me it's a "try it once" kind of thing - it's crowded, hot and not cheap - it's more about the "experience", because you can get the same food for less and be more comfortable sitting in a restaurant rather than trying to eat it under direct sun in the middle of a crowd in Grant Park. If you were to go to Taste, I'd go early.

Fourth of July fireworks downtown are impressive, but the crowds are insane. If you're not a "crowd" person (and I am absolutely not), I wouldn't recommend it. My suggestion in terms of fireworks would be to consider one of the suburbs along the lake (Evanston and Wilmette are options) to the North of the city. Less crowds, a little more small town/suburb atmosphere and the fireworks are, in some cases, still along the lake. If you ever do want to drive here, I'd recommend consideration of staying in the suburbs - cheaper hotels (generally around 30-50% less than the city), free parking and most hotels in the burbs are not far from Metra stations (metrarail.com)

Things will be crowded around 4th of July weekend - museums will be crowded because school is out, so if you were to go to the Shedd, for example, I'd go early.

If you stayed in the suburbs, you could also see a concert at Ravinia (ravinia.org). Pavilion seats are pricey, but the cheaper lawn seats are available and you can take a picnic - one of the rare concert halls that actually allows outside food (http://ravinia.org/PicnicRavinia.aspx) There are plenty of big name (Carrie Underwood, Elvis Costello, Tony Bennett, Bonnie Raitt, Indigo Girls, Tom Jones, etc.) acts playing there throughout the Summer. Ravinia is something you could also do if you stayed downtown - the Metra train from downtown does stop there. There's not really anything much going on at Ravinia from 7/1-5, but it's worth considering for future visits.

Other suburban sites include the Chicago Botanic Garden (chicagobotanic.org) and the historic town of Long Grove (http://www.longgroveonline.com/). There's also plenty of shopping.

July 1-5:

HOTWIRE:

4* Mag Mile/Streeterville; no-smoking, fitness, internet, restaurant, pool, business. $109. Likely the Sheraton

4* Loop - fitness, business, internet, restaurant, pool. $94. Palmer House Hilton.

However, rather than those two options, I'd rather suggest a "Stay 2 Nights, Get 1 Free" deal at the Westin River North, which will work for 7/2-5.

Click on the link below

Stay 2 nights, get 1 free

And search for Chicago for your dates. The Westin River North should be one of the options. Select that, and 2 adults in the room.

A regular room should be $179 x 2 nights, 3rd night free = $119 per night average.

A river view room is $219 x 2 nights, 3rd night free = $146 per night average.

A club floor room is $239 x 2 nights, 3rd night free = $159.33 per night average.

While certainly more expensive, if you are interested in the upgrade, I would go with the Club Floor, as it offers breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres for about $13 more per night.

However, I'd highly recommend the property with or without upgrades - it's a very nice 4* (the nicer of the two Westins in the city) with a beautiful, Japanese-style lobby (it was formerly the Hotel Nikko).

Also worth considering for 7/1-5:

The Hilton Suites ($119, Expedia, non-refundable)

Please use the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia or the Westin link above.

Hello AngS.

I just thought I'd chime in about the Sofitel deal I posted about before. It seems that the special price of $128/night on quikbook.com (another third party booking site a la Expedia.com, Travelocity, etc.) is still available for either of the dates you posted (1-5 or 2-5). I also see the Sofitel appearing on HOTWIRE.com for both sets of dates at $166/night.

i will now paste the Double the Difference Low Price Guarantee details straight from the hotwire website:

Because we work with our hotel partners to negotiate the cheapest hot Rates

Thanks for the info, Pickles. It sounds like a great possibility but since I am still new at this I worry that if I book the hotel I think is the Sofitel and it isn't then I could end up not being able to do the double the difference and then I would be way over budget, which I just can not risk this time. Also, it does look like 2 beds is what we need. Thank you for the info though, and it definitely may be something I could consider for furture purchases.

Aaron, you really have to get to a Dominicks, their carrot cake is sooo worth it! :)

Thanks for your info re: the dates picked. We would have preferred to have picked dates the 2 weeks following but my daughter is unable to get time off work those 2 following weeks. We really wanted to go in July as we have other vacation plans for August, so it left either the first or the last week of July as our options. Then when I looked at my work schedule I was unable to take the last week of July, so the first week it is. We do appreciate your info re: less crowded ways to watch the fireworks and will definitely take that into consideration, although my daughter is excited about the crowds. :)

I do like your option of the Westin as I have read their reviews, however, I really am wanting to use Hotwire if possible as I have a credit from my previous Chicago trip to use.

When I just looked I did not see the Sheraton option (which sounds good), but I did see what I think is the Hyatt Regency (exercise, restaurant, bussiness centre, internet & spa plus a 3.5/5 tripadvisor with 500+ reviews) for $79/ night if I do the 4 nights, it was higher for the 3 nights ($102/ night) to the point that it would cost me only $10 more to do the 4 nights at the lesser rate. I know from what I have read that it is a huge impersonal hotel, but for us a hotel is just a place to sleep. Really we just want it to be clean and in a safe location. The price just seems too good to not consider. However, Aaron, I really do value your opinion and thoughts on this, so what can you tell me about the Hyatt?

In addition, I do see what I think is the Palmer House Hilton (exercise, pool, restaurant, business centre, internet plus a 3.5/5 tripadvisor with 600+ reviews) for $89/night for either the 3 or 4 nights. For the 4 nights with taxes/fees etc it works out to $48 more in total, so not a significant amount, and if the Hilton is a much better choice, than it would be worth doing. However, if we were to do the 3 nights, then the Hilton would be the better choice cost wise. What can you tell me about the Hilton?

As always, thanks to BB for all your help and to Aaron for your vast knowledge that led us to a wonderful first Chicago trip in March. :o

Before discussing the Hyatt/Palmer, here's a couple of other ideas.

IDEA 1:

7/1-3, search for 2 adults/2 children on HOTWIRE:

There is a 4* Mag Mile/Streeterville for $84 with fitness, business, restaurant and internet. This could be a few different possibilities, including the Westin, Hard Rock or possibly the Hyatt showing with an alternate set of amenities (although I don't think the Hyatt is a very likely possibility.)

Search for 7/3-5:

There is a 4* Mag Mile/Streeterville for $112 with Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business Center. This would likely be the Sheraton. Not my favorite hotel, but I like the area and quite a few of the rooms at the Sheraton have views of either the lake, river or surrounding area.

Additionally, if you search for 7/1-3, what appears to be the Intercontinental (a 4.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville with fitness, business, restaurant and internet) is showing for $123, if you wanted to stay at the Intercontinental again.

These would be options if you wanted to explore the idea of staying in two properties over the course of the 7/1-5 period.

________________________________________________________________________________

IDEA 2:

There is a 4* Mag Mile/Streeterville for $84 with fitness, business, restaurant and internet. This could be a few different possibilities, including the Westin, Hard Rock or possibly the Hyatt showing with an alternate set of amenities (although I don't think the Hyatt is a very likely possibility.) You would use your HOTWIRE credit towards this stay.

7/3-5.

The Fairmont Hotel has a non-refundable special for $132 for a "Deluxe View" room with two double beds. If you decide to purchase this, I would HIGHLY recommend joining their loyalty program (the President's Club - free to join at http://www.fairmont.com/fpc/) before booking. After joining the President's Club program, I would recommend calling the hotel directly to book, and asking for either: a room with a view of Navy Pier or a high floor room facing Millennium Park. The idea would be to get a room with a view for either a:) the fireworks in Grant Park on July 3 or b:) the Navy Pier fireworks on July 4. Mention your President's Club membership when booking.

Maybe if the hotel is feeling particularly nice they would let you move from a room facing Millennium Park to a room facing Navy Pier on the second night. However, I would call the hotel directly (as if you book directly you *may* have a greater chance at getting requests granted) to book and let them know that you are looking for a room with a good view of one or both fireworks shows. This way, you could potentially see the fireworks in Grant Park without leaving your room. Again, I cannot guarantee what kind of views the hotel could be able to provide, but I know this hotel has the potential for offering views in either direction (towards Millennium Park or Navy Pier.) If they could move you from facing one direction to the other, that would be pretty amazing. Definitely mention your President's Club membership if you do book. The reason I suggest calling is that you could talk to someone directly and ask for specific views and then have the name of someone you talked to about getting those views.

________________________________________________________________________________

My feeling about the Hyatt is that, as I mentioned before, it's a giant (2,000+ rooms), impersonal convention hotel - a "boutique" it's not. However, it's a centrally located property and the rooms are fine. It's definitely not worth paying full price, but if you can get it at a steep discount via HOTWIRE or PRICELINE, it's not a bad option. Additionally, if - as you mentioned - you don't need detailed service and just want a place to sleep, it definitely works. I'd normally suggest using PRICELINE to try and get it as cheaply as possible, but HOTWIRE is the way to go if you need two beds. When I lived downtown, visiting friends stayed at the Hyatt most (because it's often the one available most cheaply on PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, given the hotel's need to try and fill 2,000 rooms), and they thought it was a fine hotel (nothing too fantastic, but it works as a place to sleep.)

The Hyatt is right by the Michigan Ave. bridge. You stayed at the Intercontinental on your last Chicago trip; the Hyatt is about 3 blocks away from the Intercontinental.

Personally, I'd rather recommend the Hyatt from a location standpoint. The Palmer is another huge hotel, and a very historic property (although the historic feel is mainly visible in the beautiful lobby, it doesn't really extend as much to the rest of the hotel.). It's in the middle of the Loop - fine during the day, but that area can be very quiet after sundown.

If you and your daughter do decide to go to the fireworks downtown, my suggestion would be to have a place to meet if you two get separated, or if you both have phones, you could call one another. The crowds can be pretty massive and again, while I don't mind crowds, I would never want to deal with a crowd that enormous.

Overall, you have a few different possibilities, but I think if you don't mind changing hotels, applying your HOTWIRE credit towards this:

There is a 4* Mag Mile/Streeterville for $84 with fitness, business, restaurant and internet. This could be a few different possibilities, including the Westin, Hard Rock or possibly the Hyatt showing with an alternate set of amenities (although I don't think the Hyatt is a very likely possibility.) You would use your HOTWIRE credit towards this stay

....and then trying to get fireworks views at the Fairmont for 7/3-5 could potentially turn out to be a really fun idea (I think.)

If you were able to get the HOTWIRE 4* for $84 for the first two nights and the Fairmont for $132 non-refundable for nights 3 & 4, the per night average would be $108.

Aaron, thank you for all the options to consider. The idea of splitting the stay is one I would not have thought about, but will definitely give some consideration. I love the idea of watching the fireworks from the quiet and safety of our room, however, I have a feeling my 15 year old will want to be in the thick of things somewhat. We do both have cell phones though. I know I was saying I'd like to use HOTWIRE to use my credit if possible, but I found another option that intrigues me if it is something I can support the site with. It is the Westin Michigan Avenue for $86.13 night on 1-800Hotel. The Westin looks like a nice hotel and I know exactly where it is located, and am very happy with the location. The price would keep me within budget even without using my HOTWIRE credit.

What are your thoughts on the Westin and if I chose that option is there a link from here you can post that I could link from to get the site credit?

Thanks again,

Before anything else, I wonder if the 1800hotels rate will work with Starwood's Best Rate Guarantee ---- see: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/index.html for details.

________

I've stayed at that Westin a couple of times, oddly enough once I actually stayed at that Westin once for free because I wrote parent company Starwood a fairly lengthy letter about the Sheraton downtown and that hotel never responded to the letter, so Starwood gave me enough points for one night at a comparable hotel. I never really expected anything, given that the letter was meant as "constructive criticism" and the Sheraton stay was via PRICELINE. While I don't ever expect that result from a letter to a hotel again, it did show that the chains do listen.

Anyways, the Michigan Ave. Westin is a nice/very nice hotel when taken on its own terms, but suffers in comparison to the River North location (which still stands out as one of my favorites) - both are rated 4*, but the River North location is a clear 4*, whereas the Michigan Ave. location is a little more very high 3*/3.5*. The building needs a bit of a face lift, and a re-think of the lobby is something they should consider. Rooms offer the Westin Heavenly Bed/Shower, but - and one can say this about a lot of hotels in the city - are a little on the small side and feel a little like generic 3.5*/4* business style. The nearby Wyndham does the similar 3.5*/4* business-oriented style and feel a little better - somewhat nicer, more open public areas and bigger rooms - but I've had a couple of issues with their customer service and they don't have the Heavenly amenities of the Westin.

In terms of being on Michigan Ave., the Westin is well-located, right by Water Tower Mall and the Hancock. The hotel offers Michigan Ave. view rooms, but I think a lot of these rooms are "partial view" (the one I got was) and don't offer a full view down Michigan Ave. I've never heard of 1800hotels.com, but that is certainly a low price.

Another hotel I'd strongly recommend for a future visit (if the price is a bit more reasonable) is the Indigo in the Gold Coast. I really like the Indigo concept, and given how many city hotels are "all-business" in style and presentation, the lovely colors and fun "beach-house" style of the Indigo is a nice change.

Hi Aaron,

I still haven't booked anything. Have decided to wait until we know for sure if our friends are coming with us or not. If they are not then I am tempted to try PRICELINE. Right now I am torn with the various great options you have presented. I won't book anything that doesn't give the site credit though, because I just don't feel right about that. We all benefit so much from the site and we should support it any time we can. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for asking,

If you search for 2 people (the price is $100 higher when searching when searching for 4) for 7/1-5:

Orbitz.com has the Swisssotel for these dates now for $79. If you use coupon code deal0hotel (the 0 in deal0hotel is the number, not the letter O), you get 10% off = $71.28.

That is a stunning deal for this hotel.

Please use the site's Orbitz.com link to start your purchase.

What an awesome deal and one I would have jumped on, but unfortunately I just saw your post and it is no longer available at that price. :) My girlfriend has stayed there a couple of times and loved it. Thanks for the suggestion though, Aaron. I appreciate it. :)

Just wanted to update that I am now waiting for my daughter's passport before I book anything, I somehow missed that passports are needed as of June 1st. As that is not far away at all, there likely will be delays with processing applications and may require us changing our dates. Thanks.

If July isn't possible, August 15/16 is the Chicago Air Show (to suggest another event you could build a trip around.)

Additionally, a picnic on the lawn at Ravinia (ravinia.org) is a lot of fun - that is another idea if there are any concerts there you're interested in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to close this post. We now won't be traveling to Chicago until August. I imagine it would be better to start a new post for that trip once I have confirmed dates? Thanks for all your help, I will be back. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I can just change this thread to August.

Aaron, thanks for all your help as always. It looks like Chicago is going to have to wait until the fall now. We are planning to do 4 days in Montreal now next w/e (around the time when we were originally planning to go to Chicago). I have posted a Montreal thread looking for hotel suggestions. I will definitely be looking for a Chicago hotel again.

Cheers,

p.s. Did you try the carrot cake yet?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]