Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Loop) La Quinta Inn

jjeff
By jjeff,
in

Hi! Newbie here. I found this forum after mysteriously being banned from TOBB (don't really know why... I did not do anything bad, as far as I know). I will henceforth always bid via BB.

Anyway, here's my question: I am purchasing a room for 4 (3 adults, one child) for Chicago from 5/15-17. Got nowhere on Priceline, but I hear that there is a large convention going on in town. This room is for my wife, her mother, and my two daughters (girls weekend out), and they actually want just one room for all, hence my move to Hotwire. They also want to be near downtown, within walking distance of the Art Institute.

Hotwire gives me 3 possibilities:

3.5* at $236 and 4.5* at $262 in Magnificent Mile - Streeterville.

3* in Loop.

I am guessing the 4.5* is the Intercontinental (and probably worth the extra $ over the 3.5* choice). What I am really curious about is the 3* in the Loop. There does not seem to be a listing for any 3* hotels in the Loop.

Advice? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site. :)

The issue with bidding on PRICELINE is that you would not be guaranteed 2 beds, which may be problematic with 4 people.

Not sure if the group is driving or not, but I'll toss out this suggestion: if you are driving, there are some very nice suburban hotels in great areas that can be had on these dates for far less. The group would have to take the Metra Train (metrarail.com) into downtown, but the savings might be worth it.

For example, there's a 3.5* in Northbrook for $59 on these dates. You would have to drive to the nearest Metra station and it's about a 45 minute ride. Trains also come less often on Saturday/Sunday. However, $59 versus $236/$262 - saving as much as $200 a night can go towards a lot of other things (a nice meal, shopping, etc.) If they stayed in Northbrook, there is quite a bit of shopping and the Chicago Botanic Garden (chicagobotanic.org), which is beautiful this time of year (the Chicago Botanic is in the suburbs near Northbrook.)

Let me go look on HOTWIRE to see what the downtown properties are showing.

You're exactly correct on the Priceline/beds issue. They are driving. Your idea is an interesting one, which I'll propose to the group. On the other hand, I think they are pretty set on a truly urban weekend, kicking around on foot as early or as late as they want.

When searching for 2 adults/2 kids on HOTWIRE for downtown, I see a 4.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville for $222, which would appear to be either the Intercontinental or the Conrad.

The 3* Loop has not yet been reported to the board, but my best guess would be the new La Quinta downtown. I'm not seeing a 3.5* downtown showing.

The Loop 3* for $129 wouldn't be bad (considering how bad this particular weekend is in terms of hotel prices), but I still think the suburban idea is worth considering if the group is driving.

If the group is flying in, I'd stay downtown.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE link to start your purchase, and let us know if you have any questions before booking.

The reasons I suggested the suburban option are - the suburban upscale malls (such as Old Orchard and Northbrook Court in the North burbs ) offer many of the same stores as Michigan Ave with a lesser sales tax rate. The Botanic is also absolutely beautiful, as well. The towns in the North Suburbs are also quite nice, and have some fun stores/shops to browse around, as well as a lot of restaurant options. Plus, free parking at the suburban hotels.

The Metra trains from the suburbs into the city are also quite a bit nicer than the "L" trains.

I definitely understand wanting to be downtown. It's just a question of is a bit of a trek into the city worth saving $70 (versus the 3* Loop) and whatever parking costs are that can be put towards other things.

Hey Aaron! After conferring with the girls about downtown hotel, I was just about to pull the trigger, when, lo and behold, another option presented itself on Hotwire:

4-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast for $262

Amenities are:

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Any ideas on the identity of this one?

Thanks a bunch for your attention and time!

Decided on the 3*, La Quinta it is! We are quite satisfied!

Thanks for the help. Booked via BB link.

Man I wish I saw this post earlier -- I have a special discount code for "friends and family" to stay at the Fairmont downtown. PM me next time you need it!

Rates go as low as 129/night or at minimum 20% off any best available rate.

If you get useful information from this site (which I'm sure is why you're here) be sure to use the links in the support section to book your room!!!

Man I wish I saw this post earlier -- I have a special discount code for "friends and family" to stay at the Fairmont downtown. PM me next time you need it!

Rates go as low as 129/night or at minimum 20% off any best available rate.

Thank you for your generous offer. We will both feel better, though, 'cause I checked the Fairmont for those dates and they are completely booked. I have stayed there before, though, and highly enjoyed the stay! I'll keep you in mind for the future, since I go to Chicago quite often.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]