Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hilton Palmer House

Scooter55
By Scooter55,
in

My husband and I will be traveling to Chicago by van April 30 and returning May 2. I believe I understand the Priceline rebidding strategy, but wanted to clarify a few things. A four star in the south loop or River North area will be fine. But what I'm really leaning toward is the Lincoln Park area. I believe the 2.5* listed there is the Days Inn, and I think I would enjoy staying in the same neighborhood as my sons. The problem is I don't quite know how to go about bidding on two fairly opposite star levels without paying way too much for a lower star rating in another area. (I hope that made sense) Also does anyone know for sure what these hotels are in Lincoln Park?

The issue with Lincoln Park hotels is that there are VERY few of them (which is really rather surprising). The primary hotel is the Days Inn in Lincoln Park, and there is a Best Western by Wrigley Field. There are a couple of other properties in the area (the Majestic and Willows, two independent properties) but they are also rather expensive at times (if there's a Cubs game, etc) and prices downtown are often a bit cheaper. So, there are literally only 4 hotels of note in this area.

Additionally, keep in mind that the Best Western gets VERY busy (often sold out) during the Spring/Summer and can be quite expensive, as given how close it is to Wrigley, that's where people stay who come to town primarily to see their team play the Cubs.

There was another, quite old Days Inn in Lincoln Park that was in the midst of being completely renovated into a new hotel called the Park View, but that has turned into a strange situation - 2-3 years later, and that hotel still has not yet opened and shows no sign of opening. Their website has also been taken down.

The other issue is that, given the extremely limited inventory, the price floor (or discounting) for a 2*/2.5* hotel in Lincoln Park on PRICELINE is likely not going to be that great compared to downtown, where there's quite a bit of inventory. That's if there's actually inventory in the Lincoln Park zone (which there may not be, given how few hotels there are) and you could probably get a better value bidding for a 4* in the downtown areas instead. Overall, just don't think you're going to see much discounting from the Lincoln Park hotels.

There is a 3.5* on HOTWIRE for these dates with the amenities: fitness, business, internet and restaurant for $79. This may be the Ambassador East, which is in the Gold Coast area. If this listing is that hotel, then it would be about a 10 minute walk North from that hotel to Lincoln Park/Lincoln Park Zoo area. HOTWIRE doesn't show any availability in the Lake View/Lincoln Park area.

It's probably not necessary to do so this time around given the cheap prices downtown, but the North suburbs are quite nice, and would provide free parking and easy access to transit to get downtown.

Please ask any questions, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's HOTWIRE link.

The Ambassador sounded great so went to their website to check out the parking situation. I would love to stay there but my husband smokes a bit and their rooms are 100% non smoking. Parking is a bit of an issue as we will be going in and out helping with the move. I appreciate the little tidbits of information you give me in your replies, for some reason it makes me feel a little closer to my boys. I will put some more thought into this and hope to hear any suggestions you have, Joette

I'm happy that my comments were of help! :) I hope your sons were able to get a good deal on an apartment - rents have gotten so high downtown over the last few years. Here's a tip for your sons: try to negotiate when they renew their lease. Worst the apartment company can say is no. When I lived downtown for four years, I successfully negotiated the rent for years two, three and four. Rents in the city go up (or at least they have for the last bunch of years) a lot, and it's worth trying, especially if there is an on-site office.

Additionally, tell them to try to find out what the company is going to do about next year's rent a few months before the year is up. From my experience, the company tries to drop rent changes for the next year at the last minute so you don't have time to find something else. Thankfully, I was able to negotiate, but if I wasn't, the rent boost was otherwise going to be steep and they didn't give people much notice.

They should also definitely consider putting to use the savings programs available at CVS (Extra Care), Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/store/rebateclub.jsp) and Jewel Grocery Stores (jewelosco.com), as well. All three together save so much.

Back to the hotel:

The 3.5* HOTWIRE NMA/Gold Coast/Water Tower with fitness, business, restaurant, internet for $79 is likely (not guaranteed, but likely) the Ambassador East.

The parking situation is going to be a little difficult.

The hotels in the downtown area will charge for parking (and will charge a ridiculous amount for parking, as most hotels are $40-50 for parking) and some do not offer in/out privileges (essentially, once you're parked, you're parked and that's it.) On Expedia.com's listing for the Ambassador East, I see: "Valet parking: $45 per 24-hour period; underground, secure garage with in/out privilege". I would strongly suggest calling the hotel to confirm that the $45 parking fee includes in/out privilege, as I'm really to surprised to see it.

Additionally, I just realized when reading this this morning that when you said van in the original post, you likely meant moving van, which may cost more to park at some downtown hotels, depending on the size of the van.

There is also a 4* on HOTWIRE in the Loop zone for $79 with the amenities: fitness, business, internet, pool, restaurant. This is likely (not guaranteed) the Palmer House Hilton, which, on the hotel website says $51 for parking with "in/out privilege available" (not sure if "available" means, "costs more".)

Otherwise, another option would be to stay in the suburbs, which would offer free self-parking in the lots (so, no concern over extra charges for van, etc.). However, the price for the room wouldn't be vastly different.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Additionally, there is the option of PRICELINE, as well, although then you can't try to figure out which hotel is showing, like HOTWIRE.

In terms of the 'burbs, the Staybridge Suites Glenview is $75 on Expedia.com, and you can use coupon code 10APR for $10 off each night - $65 for a suite with free breakfast and free parking. That hotel is just down the road from the nearest Metra station and is also not far from the expressway, which you could take on the way to Lincoln Park (and there's also some nice "non-expressway" routes, too.) That hotel is 16 miles (N/NW) from Lincoln Park Zoo, to give you an idea of distance.

The suburbs just to the North of the city (Skokie, Glenview, Northbrook are examples) are really quite nice, and offer a lot of shopping and restaurant options. As I mentioned earlier, they are a good option if downtown hotels are expensive. However, downtown hotels are not that bad price-wise during these dates, it's just that parking a big van may become a little tricky or a little more costly in the city.

There are other suburban ideas, but please use the site's Expedia.com link if this Staybridge idea is of interest.

Palmer House Hilton April 30 to May 3 (added an extra day at same price) 75.00. Might have been able to get it for a few dollars less because I started with the North Michigan Ave/River North area added a few rebid zones and didn't add the Loop until I reached 75.00. All in all very happy. My husband and son stayed there last year and had a very nice double with two bathrooms. I'll put in my request with them Monday and see what happens. As for the van...no it's not a moving van but our old Chevy Astro may as well be as that is the only reason we still have her.

Thank You for all the help and support. And yes I used the PRICELINE link.

Joette

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]