Priceline Hotel: 4* Santa Monica rejected

tigers
By tigers,
in

I'm posting my rejected bid because there's no 4* activity reported for Santa Monica in recent months. I will be in LAX in June so I thought I would try bidding in this zone. I used the PRICELINE link from the Better Bidding site and started at $110

I used (free) rebids at the 4* level adding the Lawndale, Culver City, and Redondo Beach zones. None of those zones offer a hotel at the 4* level.

My highest bid was $146 (per night) for my Fri-Sat-Sun stay and it was rejected.

Priceline does currently let you make an initial 4* bid for Santa Monica, which at least implies that it has a participating hotel in this zone (on the opaque side).

Who knows how high one has to bid at the 4* level in this zone to win? Hopefully, my unsuccessful experience gives some clue to others.

I'm still working on my plans for Los Angeles and I'm mainly looking at the following zones: Santa Monica/Marina del Rey; Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach; and possibly Brentwood/Westwood.

Since I have a Monday MORNING flight, I don't want to be too far from LAX. The first 2 zones I mentioned also let you avoid the 24 hour traffic nightmare that is the 405 freeway. Is it ever not very busy near the airport?

Once I tighten up my plans, I will bid using the Better Bidding PRICELINE link, and I'll let people know what happens.

Bottom line: 4* in Santa Monica remains a mystery.

I'm still working on my plans for Los Angeles and I'm mainly looking at the following zones: Santa Monica/Marina del Rey; Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach; and possibly Brentwood/Westwood.

FYI, also take a look at HOTWIRE for your stay. I did a search for your stay and i see some 4* in the zones you're willing to stay in within your price range.

Just post if you need any further help with your stay.

Thanx for using boards PRICELINE link to begin your bidding :)

Yellowdog.

I could use help with the identity of 3 hotels in the Redondo/Manhattan Beach Zone.

3*: Shuttle, Breakfast, Pool, Laundry & Internet (I would guess it is an updated description for the BW Sunrise in Redondo Beach, but I don't think they offer breakfast; the Quality Inn Hermosa Beach has a whirlpool but no pool)

2.5*: Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool, Laundry. Trip Advisor Rating: 4 bullets

2*: Breakfast. Trip Advisor Rating: 3 bullets

Please include the date(s) of your stay and we'll have a look.

Check in: June 26, 2009 for three nights.

I have noted a posting indicating a Hotwire reservation for the Quality Inn & Suites Hermosa Beach. The amenities listed in NCC1701DATA's posting are Breakfast, Fitness, Pool, Laundry.

I might be interested in this location, since Hermosa Beach would be a good location for my family, and the Quality Inn seems nice.

My understanding, from reviewing the web site for that hotel, is that it has a whirlpool, but not a swimming pool. Does Hotwire consider a whirlpool to be a "pool"? I would be disappointed to bite on this expecting the Quality Inn Hermosa, and end up with something else, with the "pool" being an issue. :)

Any thoughts?

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

HOTWIRE defines the Pool icon as "having at least one pool area", so this would be in a 'grey' area, imo. I would think that if you argued the point to HOTWIRE they would take care of it, but no guarantees, and unless you'd ultimately be happy staying there i woudln't choose that property. As a side note, the hotel does have a 'pool area' as they do have chairs and an area to take in some sun around the hottub, and speaking with the front desk clerk (who was very nice) said they have a sister property 2 miles away and i could use the pool there.

However, on my own search for your dates, there is a 4* hotel for just $6 more than the 2.5* you're asking about (as well a 3* for $6 more as well), which would seem like an easy upgrade and not making the 2.5* such a value... is there something in particular you're looking for.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry- I am considering either the Santa Monica Zone or the Redondo Beach zone, and I am looking both on Hotwire and Priceline. As you mentioned, though, it is for the same dates.

I will keep all the updates together on the Priceline page, if that is what you suggest. I did not realize that I was not following the guidlines. Thanks for the heads-up.

:) Wow! I didn't expect anyone would give my question this much attention. I'm really grateful, and I hope it helps others on BetterBidding.

I'm not trying to quibble with Hotwire or complain concerning the "pool at the Q.I. Hermosa Beach. I mainly brought it up because it confused me in identifying the property. I don't think anyone is trying to fool people. I just wanted to be on the same page as Hotwire. This property seems quite nice for the price.

I did see what is likely the 4* Belamar Hotel was available, but that property has gotten several postings on Trip Advisor that are somewhat uncomplimentary on the same issue. Who knows if they are true, so I won't repeat it here. The price ($102) is tempting, though. It is only $13 more that what appears to be the Quality Inn Hermosa Beach ($89). I would have to pay a fair amount more up the road in Santa Monica for a 4*

The Belamar is a Hotwire 4* and the Quality Inn is a Hotwire 2.5*; TripAdvisor says the Belamar is a 4* hotel class and the Q.I. is 2* hotel class. But TripAdvisor also gives Traveler Rating of 3.5 (bullets) to the Belamar and 4(bullets) to the Q.I. Hermosa Beach.

Obviously, this is something for me to figure out. I would probably be satisfied with either property.

Any thoughts on the ID of the 3* in the Redondo Beach zone? As I mentioned, I don't think the Best Western offers breakfast, so, again, I'm confused. Maybe it is the H.I Express in Manhattan Beach. It would fit the amenities, But HI Express is usually 2.5*. Hotwire does not give a TripAdvisor Traveler Rating for the 3* property.

The Belamar is a Hotwire 4* and the Quality Inn is a Hotwire 2.5*; TripAdvisor says the Belamar is a 4* hotel class and the Q.I. is 2* hotel class. But TripAdvisor also gives Traveler Rating of 3.5 (bullets) to the Belamar and 4(bullets) to the Q.I. Hermosa Beach.
Generally speaking reviews are often based upon expectations and price the price paid... when guests pay a lot of money they expect more and can find fault with small details (this isn't about the Belamar in particular but more general in nature)... when they pay less at a more budget hotel they have lower expectations and may overlook any 'issues'.

In light of the above, i'd rather stay at a poorly reviewed Ritz Carlton then a well rated Super 8 :)

Let us know what you decide and how you'd like to proceed and how we can be of further help.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]