Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Juan Hotel El Convento

Marius
By Marius,
in

I've been trying to bid for a one night pre-cruise stay in San Juan for two weeks now and still don't have a room.

My first bid was $45 and today I've reached $85 without receiving at least one counteroffer.

As I learned from this Priceline Hotel Win there was a successful $70 bid for the same night and star level.

I believe that all my bids were rejected because the available hotels prefer guests staying the whole weekend.

Yesterday, user hellyea reported a successful $51 bid for several nights including my stay.

Based on this knowledge I'm not sure if it's better to wait and try again or bid higher.

What is your recommendation?

Thx in advance!

The Courtyard Isla Verde thread linked above was just a one nite stay so puts a little less likelihood that you're seeing a minimum stay requirement here.

More likely is that rates have gone up since that user won their win (nearly a month ago) and it now requires a higher bid as well. Also, if you look at hellyea's dates, the first two nites are generally much cheaper at San Juan hotels for those two nites than the last nite (your date). Lastly, the Courtyard Miramar can't be booked for that Saturday nite arrival, but this is only for your specific weekend as the following weekend they are allowing Saturday check-in for just one nite... so all of this indicates that demand is a bit heavier than usual (and stronger than it had been previously) for your nite.

Do you have a back-up reservation anyplace? What is your maximum bid for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I don't have a backup reservation yet and hope to find a room at max. $100.

If 3* rates are too high for this night I will also accept some lower quality level hotels.

Today I found a 2,5* hotel for $88 at HOTWIRE (amenities: Near Beach, Complimentary Breakfast, Restaurant, High Speed Internet):

<image removed>

Could this be a match for the Holiday Inn Express San Juan?

Please do not hyperlink to HOTWIRE screenshots as some of the images are copyrighted, as well as in the future the image will likely appear broken on the board, and future users will be left wondering what information it contained.

This property has not yet been identified, but i don't think this is the Holiday Inn Express as they don't have a Restaurant (afaik)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for posting the screenshot. I didn't know there might be a copyright issue.

Today I tried Price,line up to $100 without any success. :)

I'm not sure how to proceed. I considered bidding for 2,5* but found conflicting statements about which hotels are available in this zone.

The Normandie hotel seems to be ok but by no means I want to stay at San Juan Beach Hotel (which is in your list only 2*).

Both hotels don't appear in the regular Priceline results for my date.

Do you have newer information regarding the 2,5* properties at San Juan?

If I have questions about Hotwire hotels for my stay should I use this thread or open a new one in the HOTWIRE forum?

I considered bidding for 2,5* but found conflicting statements about which hotels are available in this zone.... by no means I want to stay at San Juan Beach Hotel (which is in your list only 2*). Do you have newer information regarding the 2,5* properties at San Juan?
Rating changes can occur at any time, and we update the hotel lists whenver new information is reported to the board or discovered, but THIS LINK appears to confirm that the hotel list is correct and the San Juan Beach Hotel is currently rated 2*.
If I have questions about HOTWIRE hotels for my stay should I use this thread or open a new one in the Hotwire forum?
Please conitnue this thread... keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

You are sort of running out of time.

You are right.

I think I will reserve the HI Express San Juan with a refundable rate.

There is a 2* hotel on Hotwire for $99.

Amenities: Near Beach, Compimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, High-Speed Internet Access

Any idea?

On Priceline I posted my first bids for 2,5* ($40, $45, $50, $55) but all were rejected. Will keep trying tomorrow.

If I don't get a room again I will have to try 2*.

When checking regular Priceline rates for my stay the San Juan Beach Hotel is not listed. Is this kind of guarantee that this property is not in the "name your own price" section for my dates either?

Thank you for your help. I place all my bids through your PRICELINE links.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Please also note from our support page that we're an affiliate of the Holiday Inn Express too, please use the links there for your back-up reservation. (or use BackUpBooking.com but always doublecheck the terms of your reservation to make sure it's fully refundable)

Keep us updated as to what you ultimately do for this stay.

Keep us updated as to what you ultimately do for this stay.

No problem.

Do you still have any clue regarding the Hotwire 2* hotel I mentioned above?

Amenities: Near Beach, Compimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, High-Speed Internet Access

Today's rate: $102

Do you still have any clue regarding the Hotwire 2* hotel I mentioned above?

At the moment is this really an option... it not only has a lower star rating than you're currently trying for on PRICELINE, but is also nearly twice the price :)

With the above noted, the 2* proerty is a match for the Howard Johnson so that would be our best guess for that one.

it not only has a lower star rating than you're currently trying for on PRICELINE, but is also nearly twice the price :)

You're right.

But my 2,5* bids up to $75 have been rejected yesterday.

As there is only the Normandie available in this zone I have only a slight hope for a successful bid significantly less than $100.

The Howard Johnson has a refundable AAA rate for a double room at $97.75 + tax. I think this is going to be my backup reservation.

Today things went haywire.

As every evening I checked HOTWIRE and was totally surprised being offered a 4* hotel at $114 + tax.

I checked the amenities with your list and booked immediately.

As predicted I received the El Convento in Old San Juan for a total price of $152 which is actually a bargain for my date.

Thank you again for your help.

Will you edit my thread title and move it to the HOTWIRE forum (for winning bid calendar) or should I post my winning bid in a new thread?

Do you know if there are any additional charges (resort fee, municipal tax, ...)?

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board!

This hotel is on my "want to try" list... the pictures look GREAT and so relaxing.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase. You can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Enjoy your stay.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase.

Amenities:

Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

As mentioned throughout the thread I always used your links for booking.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]