Need Help! LAX 4/26-4/30 car rentals

nahtg
By nahtg,
in

For over two weeks now I have been linking thru this board to Priceline and Hotwire, and I can't catch a break for getting a rental car for my upcoming visit to LA next weekend. Last year I went to PL and got a midsize for $13 a day for a seven days. Now I can't even get an economy for like $21 a day. Did the prices go up in one year so high? I though the recent recession would make it even cheaper or at least the same to rent a car. But no luck. I have been bidding every 24 hours, changing my bid as I go up a size car, and nothing. I can't get a break. Hell, my airfare, is waaaaaaaaaay chaper than last year, so I thought I car rentals would be the same.

DOES anyone have any ideas?

So far I have,

1. Used "name your own price" at Priceline

2. Checked Hotwire every day

3. Googled car rental discount codes and then tried to use them at each individual car rental website

Cheapest I can find is like $ 130 for the 4 days, and that's crazy!! I won't use the places like Deluxe , and Payless. I am sticking with the majors....

Help please!!

I tried some things I usually try, and seemed to run into pretty much the same ugly numbers you have been seeing.

I've no idea what your plans are, but have you even thought of just using public transportation? It is a well concealed secret, but LA actually has a pretty functional network of trains and buses. It takes some advanced planning, some study, and some adjustment, but is at least worth considering IMHO.

And then combine it with a few cab rides to close any gaps you can't fill with the trains and buses.

When you are doing the math, by the time you add in gas and insurance and the extras those rental places always add, the total for car rental would support quite a few cab rides.

LA is tough to drive in, and there is something very liberating about just stepping off public transportation and not having to find a parking place.

Romelle

I would except where I am going to be staying after I get out of the airport is more than 20 miles away ( SF valley)

SO here's a little update,

I have been hammering away with promo/discount codes all day to see what I can get. I realize now that I have 3 strikes against me. 1. I am not staying over a Sat night. 2. I am not renting for 5 or more days 3. I am cheap, but I won't go to the off-brand car rental places because of their business practices. So anyways , I was on the Dollar site , with my dates checking the rates when I noticed this little "check city specials" button, and wham!!! I found a deal. I now see that I was going to paying over $100 for those 4 days, no matter what brand I used, but now I feel like I am getting a better car for the money. Most places I found were like $140-$200 and up for just the economy class, but I can get a compact ( next size up) for $121 or a midsize for $ 137. I am going to book it tonight or tomorrow.................

Last year I got a compact in LA in May for a week for $13 a day. Then in July I got compact out of Hou from a Fri to a SUn for $10 a day.... I guess those days are gone now....

I'm glad it finally worked out for you.

Thanks for reporting back. Beyond the fact that I really like to hear the ends of stories, there are undoubtedly other other people reading this thread that now will know to try that little "city specials" button.

Hope you have a great visit.

Romelle

You mentioned using the links here for PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, but did you also know there were links to the various auto rental companies under the "support page Links" tab? Just making sure you've found them....

Including DOLLAR :)

Hey there! You might want to check out your links. When I clicked it, it says this

"The link you clicked on has expired. It pointed to a Web site that was a member of the Commission Junction network and has since been deactivated or temporarily suspended. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Thanks... here's a working link: Dollar Rent a Car

Thanks, and here is the difference between this year and last year, as well as the published rates right now. Like I said, I have been trying to get something different since the 31st of March, with no luck. Oh well, prices have really gone up in my opinion.

Last year... My deal was this..... from PRICELINE

Your Rental Car Reservation

Mid-Size Car (Unlimited Mileage)

Pick-Up Location:

Avis Rent a Car

LOS ANGELES AP CA

9217 Airport Blvd

Los Angeles,CA 90045

1-800-230-4898

Drop-Off Location:

Same as above Pick-Up Date: May 23, 2008 - 2:00 PM

Drop-Off Date: May 30, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price: $13.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 7 days(6 days and 22 hours)

Subtotal: $91.00

Taxes and Fees: $40.69

Total Charges: $131.69

Lowest Published Price: $310.99

Total Savings:* $179.30 (You saved 58%)

This is what I got this tonight...

Time and Place Pickup Los Angeles Intl Airport

In-terminal

5630 ARBOR VITAE STREET

LOS ANGELES, CA 90045

866-434-2226

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Return Same as Pick-up

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Promo Code: 490

Estimated Charges Rental Time: 4 Days at $25.63 per day. Unlimited mileage.

Rate Code: RWXD3 Total Base Rate $102.52 U.S. Dollar (USD) Apt Conc Recov Fee $11.39

Facility Charge $10.00 State Tax $10.54 Tourism Surcharge $2.56 Total Est. Mandatory Charges $34.49

Est. Grand Total $137.01 Your Car Choice

Mid-size

Chrysler Sebring (or similar)

Here is the best rates I could find on PL

DOLLAR

Mid-size

$36/day x 4

$191 total

SO, going to Dollar directly saves me more than any of the other "brand name" car rental paces. As I said before, I won't use the off brand ones, no matter what the prices are. Too many horror stories...

And yes, Thrity has the same rates too, with the button for "check city specials". Thrity owns Dollar, or is it the other way around?

Good luck all, I am off to Cali. After working my tail off for 8 months staight with no time away, I really need this break!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]