Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* DC (Bethesda-Silver Spring) Hilton Silver Spring

DisneyFan5
By DisneyFan5,
in

Howdy.

I'm trying to plan a trip to DC for my family....mom, dad, and three boys, ages 13, 11 and 6.

Our dates are May 30-June 6.

Right now I have a regular reservation at a suite hotel for what I think is a good rate....$183 a night. It usually goes for $260 a night, but I had a friend who hooked me up. It is near a metro, has an indoor pool, and a sleeper sofa so no one has to sleep on the floor.

My husband, on the other hand, thinks we can do better and is looking at staying somewhere farther out and renting a car, parking at the metro and taking that in. One advantage is that we can have more freedom on where we eat. He also has a friend at work that is telling him about priceline. I really don't want to end up with the boys sleeping on the floor.

Any recommendations would greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site.

The issue with PRICELINE is that you are only guaranteed 1 bed. While people have successfully negotiated two beds upon arrival, the hotel is within their rights to say no - this is especially true in major city like DC.

HOTWIRE is the best choice in this situation, as you can search for 2 adults and 2 beds (which guarantees some sort of bedding for 4.) The only issue is can the three kids share a bed?

However, with 5 in your party, I wouldn't make it obvious - don't have everyone at the desk at check-in.

When searching for your dates for 2 adults/2 children, there is a 3* in the Bethesda/Silver Spring area for $53 (the price you see may vary slightly.) for your dates, with the amenities Restaurants, Pool, Fitness, Business, Golf, Laundry. This is likely the Crowne Plaza. That would be a significant savings over your current reservation - the subtotal (prior to tax/fees) for all six nights at $53 per night is $371.

There are also some 4* rates for around what you paid in the main DC area/s on HOTWIRE.

Additionally, on Expedia.com there's the Eldon Luxury Suites, which appears to be a condo property that rents. That is $197 per night, on sale from $304. Plus, use coupon code 10APR for $10 off each night. Looks like a very nice property and gets good reviews. Given that the price is fairly similar, you can look to see if this suite property has more to offer than the one you are booked at.

Please use the site's Expedia.com, HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links and please ask any questions you may have.

Although i think the ideas AaronJB mentions above are better, i'll just add that if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, you could get 2 rooms for 2adults/2children for the first two nites of your stay directly in the city and for less than the price of your current back-up... then move to the outskirts of the city for the balance of your stay OR go with your current suite property.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for all the great info.

We looked at what was available for our dates and we went with a 3.5 star in Bethesda/Silver Spring for $63 a night. We were hoping to get Hyatt Regency Bethesda.

What we got was the Hilton Silver Spring. We are pretty happy with that, because they have an indoor pool, which is what we really wanted by didn't expect to afford. Also, it says that they are two blocks away from the Silver Spring Metro.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase; you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

We're glad the board was helpful with your purchase... it would be appreciated if you used the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The amenities show for this hotel were...

Fitness center, pools, restaurants, business center, laundry facilities.

The pool is indoor and I called to request a non-smoking room and they said the room will have two double beds.

Thanks again. I'm so glad I found this site....it really helped us save a lot on our hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]