Hotwire Hotel: Hotel for family of 5 in Washington DC

brendazimmerman
By brendazimmerman,
in

We are probably taking our kids to Washington DC June 14-18th after we suffer through my husbands family reunion in Richmond, VA. There are five of us two adults and three kids (8, 8, 5). I am new to this board and have never used priceline or hotwire before. I would appreciate any suggestion as to how to find a deal for five people since my husband is not wanting to spend an arm and a leg ($150nt if possible). I guess I would love some help on the best way to get a room or do we need to get two rooms? Also with three kids what would be the best areas to try and find said room? We will have our car but will probably just park it and use the Metro. We live in St. Louis, MO so we're used to it taking 30 minutes to get just about anywhere so the suburbs would be ok if that's the only place we can afford though closer in would be better I think. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Brenda

Welcome to BetterBidding :)

PRICELINE is no option for you since the only guarantee a room for 2 adults.

HOTWIRE would be the way to go for you. But you can only book a quad room on HOTWIRE. Can the "little" one share bed?

Take a look at the diffrent zones on HOTWIRE for Washington DC and decide what zone you want to stay in.

I hope this helps to get you started. also read this link: I've never used Priceline or Hotwire

Yellowdog.

www.dcducks.com is great fun for kids.

A sleeping bag for third kid?

I think they will love the metro. When I've had kids there, after I explained the logic of the thing (routes marked with names of end points, etc.) they were mapping far faster than I could. I gave up and let them lead.

Romelle

....after we suffer through my husbands family reunion in Richmond, VA

Hopefully it won't be quite so bad. :)

As mentioned, HOTWIRE is the best course of action for this trip, since you can book for 4. Technically, you can use PRICELINE, but you run a major risk (especially in a city like DC) of the hotel only giving you one bed.

I do see a 3* in the White House-Capitol Hill area on HOTWIRE for $109 (the price you see may vary slightly) with the amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Laundry, which would be a match for the Four Points Downtown.

We can definitely just have one of the kids sleep on the floor in either a sleeping bag or a small inflatable bed, just wasn't sure if the hotels would let us do that.

Usually best not to be too "known" about this fact... just have one parent check-in with 2 of the kids while the other parent does something else (nearby Starbucks or walk around the block with the other child).

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just got a 3.5 star in Bethesda/Silver Spring for $63 a night. We got the Hilton Silver Springs.

It has an indoor pool and the room has two double beds. We have three boys, so we will probably just bring an air mattress for them to take turns sleeping on. It looks really nice and the info I've read said they rooms have been recently renovated. Also, it's two blocks from the Silver Spring metro station.

Good luck.

This is not a PRICELINE or HOTWIRE recommendation, I hope that I won't be kicked off because of it. We have stayed at the Washington Suites two times and they are ideal for families. You have a kitchen (we usually have dinner "at home"), bedrooms and even a breakfast (they might have changed it but it was too starchy/sugary for me). They take you for free to the Metra (or whatever they call it) station so you can get in to D.C. I think it is in Arlington VA. Go to Legal Seafood for the best clam chowder in the world and the very best fish. Expect to pay for it though. Lunches are the best value.

I've never used HOTWIRE before and am not sure how to do it with a family of five. We have no problem with one of the kids sleeping on the floor or on a couch but I wasn't sure how you got about getting something with at least two beds. We want to be within walking distance of a Metro station and in an area that will be safe for two parents to be walking around with three kids. Is there any way to get one room? I am trying to get the in's and out's of this before I bid. I'm also trying to research the best zone to try to get. Thanks for any tips.

Brenda

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

As mentioned above, if you search HOTWIRE for quad occupancy you will receive a room with separate sleeping accomodations (which basically means two beds, although the 'second bed' could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc)

The most frequently purchased HOTWIRE zones are the (Dupont Circle-Embassy Row) and (White House - Capitol Hill), but you should check these to make sure that they'll work for your own plans/needs.

What is the age of your youngest child?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]