Hotwire Hotel: HELP: NYC on 10/9

kashprandi
By kashprandi,
in

First of all, I wanted to say that this is a great site! I wanted to use either Priceline or Hotwire, and saw a recommendation for this site while looking through epinions.com. This is a perfect example of what the internet should be. (One note - when I registered as a user, the confirmation was sent back to the Bulk Mail folder in my yahoo mail account. I don't know of there is anything that can be done about this, but I normally don't even check the messages in the bulk folder).

Anyway, I am interested in a 4 star plus hotel in the theatre district for 10/9 to 10/10. I realize that this is Columbus Day weekend, so my choices may be limited. Hotwire shows a 4 star hotel with restaurant, pool, fitness ctr and business ctr for $307 a night. Could anyone give my a guess as to what hotel this is? Could you also give me others suggestions for this particular trip as to how much I should bid?

Thanks again for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There's not much we can do about the validation email getting sent to your BULK folders (unless you want to let Yahoo know :) ), although we try to mention it in threads such as WHY CAN'T I POST and GETTING STARTED.

At your suggestion <thanks> I have just added comments on the registration form, next to the email address text box, that email validation is required and that this email is often sent to your BULK Email folder. I have also added comments to check your 'BULK Email Folder' to the error messages that users receive if they try to post without first validating their account.

Regarding your spefic dates, i'm fairly certain we can figure out this property that you're looking at, but what zone is it in? (Midtown East, Midtown Central, etc).

It may just be what the market is demanding given the holiday weekend, but it does sound expensive, i'll take a look and see what i believe your options to be. In order to do so, can you clarify if this is a one nite stay (10/9-10/10) or a two nite stay (10/9-10/11)?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you compare the amenities listed to those in our HOTWIRE NYC HOTEL LIST it exactly matches the Crowne Plaza.

As i said above, that sounds like a LOT of money! I would sooner recommend the 4* Customer Favorite in Midtown East (Restaurant, Fitness, Business, Spa) which appears to be the Drake Swissotel.

A few of our board members had GOOD REVIEWS regarding this property, and the comments HERE are even more favorable.

Given the price difference and other offerings shown i think the the Drake is your best bet... unless you wanted to try Priceline in order to beat that rate, at which point let us know and we'll provide a suggested bidding strategy.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the above and, if you move forward, what you ultimately decide to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've never used Priceline, and I am looking for some suggestions. I pretty much would only like to book in a 4 star hotel, and would much prefer the MTW area. I have already booked a room at the Millennium (including free continental breakfast) at $319 per night (before tax), and the reservation is cancellable within 24 hours. If I could get something at around $250 (pre-tax) I would be happy.

One other question - since I can cancel the recervation I already have, should I also plan to re-bid as we get closer to the date of our stay?

Thanks.

How firm are you on only considering the MTW area? (you're only coming in for one nite so i assume you are familiar with the area and have been here before?)

The NYC zones are so close together, and mass transit inexpensive and readily available, that zone selection matters less than almost any other region. I think there is little difference between MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS... but bidding on all of those zones increases your chances dramatically and also allows you multiple bids for the same stay, enabling you to get the best price possible.

With the above said, i don't know what your plans are in the city and if the other zones don't work well for you for some reason or another.

You can try your bid every 72 hours, but we'll also utilize re-bids which are explained here: RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED. When bidding 4* in NYC you'll have two re-bids available... if you're unsure of your re-bid zones please read the previous link and ask any questions that you may have.

Let us know if MTW is still the only zone you want and we'll supply an appropriate strategy.

Unfortunately, I have to be pretty firm about the MTW zone. It's our anniversary, and my wife was a little hesitant about using the Priceline/Hotwire route in the first place. So I promised her that we would only use them if these criteria were met. We're seeing a show that night and want to make everything as simple as possible. Frankly, if we were staying for a longer period, it would not be as big of an issue, since we are fairly familiar with the city and wouldn't mind staying in another part of town.

You didn't say if you understood re-bidding so i'll assume you're fine on that topic, if not please post back and ask questions (or confirm your re-bid zones with the board if you're unsure).

You have 2 re-bid zones when bidding at the 4* level.

This is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTW and....

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone#1 and...

Bid $160.

If rejected close that browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone#2....

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zoen#1 and...

Bid $200.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. As always, if there are any questions feel free to ask before starting your bid.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]