Hotwire Hotel: Jersey City Hotel for visting NYC

Gary Lewis
By Gary Lewis,
in

Hi everyone... I used this site a few years ago to help me secure an excellent price for the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson for a visit to New York City. A great location as the PATH was right outside. We had such a great time, that we're coming back and I would really like to stay at the Hudson again although I am open to alternatives. At the time, due to a combination of area, features and star rating, I was almost able to guarantee that it was indeed the Hudson that I was booking... However, I notice now that the Westin Jersey City seems to have the same features. Does this mean that it's pot luck as to which I'd get?.... From the map, it appears not to far away from the PATH at Exchange Place. Is it a long walk? If not, I guess it's a good alternative?

We arrive 5/28/2009 for 5 nights. I would appreciate advice on the best time to start searching (probably a bit early now?). I remember paying about $75 a night 2 years ago, I guess it's going to be more now. Would $100 a night be about right?

One last thing... this time I'm bringing a friend and to keep costs down we would like to share a room. Is it possible to specify a twin room instead of a double?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Gary (England, UK)

Given that the prices have come down in NYC this year, I think you may be able to swing a 3* or 3.5* in the city for $100 for these dates. I see a 4* in Hoboken/Jersey City on HOTWIRE for $106, which leads me to think a winning bid on Priceline is going to probably be in the $75-85 neighborhood.

Jersey City will be cheaper, but I think it's worth considering seeing if you can get something in the city in your budget, which I think may be possible.

You cannot specify bed type with HOTWIRE or PRICELINE.

Please use the site's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Hey Gary,

Check out my post in this forum, I just won on Priceline for $85 a night including all of the time you are there. I reckon you can't go past this deal.

I also wouldn't mind checking out the baseball (I saw your other thread) because I'm all up for NY experiences. Also would love going to an NBA game at the garden - and the person I'm staying with has zero interest in sports so send me a message and maybe we can organise something together?

Let me know if you end up staying there or somewhere else, we can meet up and discuss who is going to win the Ashes this year. Both our sides seem like are having a bad time at the moment so it's definitely up for grabs. Also, I saw this on TV the other week - some major league baseball star named Manny Ramirez trying to learn to play cricket, absolutely hilarious, especially when he goes to run to first base!!!! Of course I have as much idea who he is as most Americans would know Ponting or Warnie.

Cheers Mate

Thanks AaronJB....

I take your point regarding a place in NYC itself and it's certainly something I'd consider, but to be honest, having had such a good experience at the Hyatt Regency, I wouldn't hesitate to book it again if I had high confidence via Hotwire or Priceline (through the links provided of course) that it was indeed that particular hotel.

Regarding the bed situation.... if I book a room for 2 people, what's the standard in America.... I can't remember from last time? Is it two double size beds or one king size?

Thanks again.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Check out my post in this forum, I just won on Priceline for $85 a night including all of the time you are there. I reckon you can't go past this deal.

I also wouldn't mind checking out the baseball (I saw your other thread) because I'm all up for NY experiences. Also would love going to an NBA game at the garden - and the person I'm staying with has zero interest in sports so send me a message and maybe we can organise something together?

Let me know if you end up staying there or somewhere else, we can meet up and discuss who is going to win the Ashes this year. Both our sides seem like are having a bad time at the moment so it's definitely up for grabs. Also, I saw this on TV the other week - some major league baseball star named Manny Ramirez trying to learn to play cricket, absolutely hilarious, especially when he goes to run to first base!!!! Of course I have as much idea who he is as most Americans would know Ponting or Warnie.

Cheers Mate

Hey Zanshin....

Looks like a good price you got at the Westin. How are you planning to get in to the city from there? PATH from Exchange Place or is there a better/quicker way? I'd like to know how far it is to walk and if it's safe to do so late at night. PATH still runs 24 hours a day I presume? I'm sure we'd be good to meet up.

Cheers, Gaz

With HOTWIRE, if you search for two people, you are only guaranteed one bed (might be a king bed, might be a queen bed - there is no standard.) If you want two beds, that is something you have to work out with the hotel.

WIth PRICELINE, you are only guaranteed one bed, and you have to work out two with the hotel.

NYC is notorious about small rooms with one bed.

Unfortunately, the Westin and Hyatt have both been reported as 4*'s in the same zone on PRICELINE and both come up with the same amenities on HOTWIRE. Given that they both have the same amenities, you could possibly get either.

You could get the Hyatt but seeming I got the Westin chances are good you will too? I need a room with 2 Queen beds and I think I will be accomodated because I'm staying for 2 weeks, maybe first night it won't happen if we're extremely unlucky but I'm sure it will be OK. They wouldn't want guests annoying them three times a day asking when our room will be ready, which is what I'll be doing if we don't get 2 Queens.

According to my research the trip from JFK will take quite a while but not a lot of walking: http://www.hopstop.com?action=route&ro...2aff80bdb18x0af

For daily travel to Manhattan and beyond the PATH system which is 24 hours is the best way to go. I 'virtually' walked from the PATH station to the hotel on google maps and it seems easy enough distance with one bag of luggage even in the evening. It's literally a 3 minute walk from the station so even at night when I'm doing it I think we will be ok as long as I don't wave my iphone or laptop around. If you get the Westin I can meet you at the station when you arrive beacuse I'll be a pro on the transport system by the 28th of May :)

I was planning on taking the subway to the Westin but for the $15 per person for the shuttle and the PATH and Subway that day, might as well pay the $60 (hopefully) or so dollars for a taxi direct there from JFK. Note that the drivers at JFK don't have to take you New Jersey and it's not on the meter, it's an agreed rate.

I will also purchase a weekly unlimited metropass at JFK for $23.50 giving unlimited transport on trains (maybe buses too?). Then because we'll be going to Manhattan everyday, I will also get a PATH SmartLink weekly unlimited pass for $18 (plus $5 for the physical card I think).

Gary I'd like to talk further, I'm on Skype my username is Zan5hin.

When I stayed at the Hyatt Jersey City a few months ago I used the Metrocard(per ride card) for the PATH train- the $1.75 PATH fee was deducted from the card. So if you are in NYC for just a few days you can use one transit card -Metrocard- for PATH and NYC Transit.The PATH line doesn't accept the weekly (or daily) unlimited card which is the best deal for you since you're staying a week.The unlimited allows you unlimited bus and subway rides .

The regular Metrocard ( for ex: $10 or $20 card which give you rides plus bonus$)allow you a free transfer within 2 hours ( subway to bus, bus to subway, or bus to different bus line) .So if you want to save transit$ plan trips with that in mind.So for example: if you want to get a quick breakfast in one area (ex:Soho)- take a subway- and then if you want to go to the Metropolitan Museum- hop a bus within the 2 hour limit and the trip is free.Hope my explanation makes sense....

Aaron JB- I am looking at a day in NYC on my way back from a Philly/Atlantic City trip.......I will be driving and was looking at staying in Jersey City for the night......I would rather stay right in NYC for the 100$ range BUT seeing as I will be DRIVING, what would be my better choice?

We would be arriving on a Saturday morning and leaving on a Sunday morning......would NYC be hard to navigate (I have a GPS) and find parking or would I be better off to stay in Jersey city and take the subway?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]