Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Marriott Marquis

ezed
By ezed,
in

I'm new to the board and I'm impressed by the helpful info . I have followed the very interesting bidding info and so far, no acceptances my hotel bids.

We're looking for 2 rooms in Manhatten for 10/14-10/19 (6 nites). We want a 4* in MTW , UM/CPS, or MTE.

I just finished bidding for the 1st 3 niites using the "add zone" bit, starting at $152, adding $10 with every added zone. Then I added the 2 rebid zones, with +$4 at a time. Total of 5 bids with max of $180. No go.

I repeated the same bid sequence for last 3 nites, starting with same $, but used $5 boost for last 2 bids, final bid=$182. Still no go.

Kind of discouraging. Maybe I missed something?

Appreciate any help.

I don't think you miseed anything... it's just the beginning of a very busy time in NYC and therefore hotel rates get inflated. I'd assume you're not far from success, but i don't know if you want to raise you bid now or wait it out and hope that rates decline between now and then.

I would probably wait it out and book a cancellable back-up in the meantime. I found QUICKBOOK has the Millenium UN Plaze for $199/$209 (3nites/3nites) during your stay and given this isn't too far from your bids above this may be a good back-up. (i believe since it's a "Pay When you Stay Rate" it's cancellable without penalty... there other rates have a $10 cancellation fee which on a 6 nite stay amounts to an extra $1.50/nite if you have to cancel so not a big deal).

Also, do you want to split your bid or did you do so thinking it would improve your chances?

If you'd like to raise your bid now let us know your maximum bid amount and we'll be happy to supply a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire has the following 3.5*for $198 per room

Upper East Side Central Park - See map

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Business Center, Spa Services. View complete amenity list and description

I am not sure which hotel this is.

and this 4* for $224

Midtown East Midtown - See map

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Business Center, Tennis Nearby. View complete amenity list and description

Seems to be the Intercontinental Barclay.

(edit by thereuare: the InterContinental is a 4.5* hotel... this is more likely the Grand Hyatt)

Hope this helps

I want to thank all of you who added replies to my inquiry: "We're looking for 2 rooms in Manhatten for 10/14-10/19 (6 nites). We want a 4* in MTW , UM/CPS, or MTE. " At $180. with no luck, it's discouraging.. Your replies were helpful to my problem.

We'll try it again with our budget limit at $175 for a 3 *.

We split the dates in order to add to our number of bids.

Would appreciate any more ideas on bidding strategy. I do understand the re-bid deal.

Oh; We might be able to shift our trip to Nov. Would that help our bids and lower the prices ?

Are there specific dates in November that you are considering? It's not likely to be much better, but with exact dates we can analyze the situation and then advise a strategy for the better set of dates.

Part of the 'problem' is that your dates span from a Thur-Wed. With rates in NYC often less expensive on the weekends, the way your splitting your bid combines an expensive midweek stay with a less expensive weekend stay... thus requiring a higher bid for all nites. No way around this without splitting your bid 3 times (pre-weekend, weekend, post-weekend) OR trying to re-arrange your travel dates to cover dates that begin or end on a Friday. I'm not sure this is the problem, but it's just one more possible contributing factors making this more difficult... but don't fret, we'll help you work it all out. :)

I assume you don't currently have a back-up reserved?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again for the comments on our search: on 9/8 I wrote "We're looking for 2 rooms in Manhatten for 10/14-10/19 (6 nites). We want a 4* in MTW , UM/CPS, or MTE. " At $180. with no luck, it's discouraging." on 9/12, I wrote "We'll try it again with our budget limit at $175 for a 3 *". I did mention we might switch dates to Nov. if that helps but it means switching airline tix too. So, first, I would like to take another shot now at the 3* for our limit of $175, preferably in UMT/CPS or MTW or MTE.

Appreciate any strategy you can suggest.

I see that there is only one "re-bid" zone for 3*, and that is UWS for 2.5*.

We still don't have any back-up reserved.

Thanks,

ed

Did i miss something that caused you to quote yourself above? (it's no problem that you did, but i just didn't know if i didn't pay attention to something that you had said previously).

I'll supply a 3* strategy in just a moment, but first a couple of comments/suggestions:

-when was the last time you had bid for 4*? If it was on the 8th i would try for that again before trying for the 3* (you can bid for 4* hotels and then if rejected start over for 3* properties... the 72 hour rule doesn't apply if you lower your star rating)

-if you're eligible to bid again now for 4* hotels, i would consider raising your bid to $190 (or peferably $200/nite)... i realize it quickly adds up over the course of a 6 nite stay, but i believe it will greatly increase your chances and <depending upon your own thoughts> may be a lot easier than beginning to consider re-booking airfare and such (see next comment too)

-if you're considering moving your trip to November (for which prices may be just as bad or worse :) ), does changing your flight involve cancellation fees and such? If so i would sooner consider lowering your star rating (as you intend on doing) and then i'd re-consider splitting the bid. NYC is so compact, and with transportation relatively inexpensive and readily available, i don't think it's a big deal to change hotels in this town. Of course, you know your temperment and those you're traveling with better than i do so there is no right or wrong answer, but it's something that only you would know if it's right for you (and those your traveling with). As well, if there are fees invovled to change your flights, i would sooner keep your existing plans and add any money you would 'lose' (in cancelling) and add that to the maximum amount you are willig to bid.

So i guess first let us know if your eligible to bid for 4* hotels again, if so we'll supply a strategy for both 4* and 3* properties (if not we'll supply a 3* strategy only). Also, if you can bid immediately for 4* properties, let us know if you're willing to raise your maximum bid amount as suggested above.

Our last bids were on 9/7 at 10pm, when I bid in the 2 3-nite blocks.

OK; our plan is to try for 3* properties for a limit of $180, for UM/CPS preferable, but MTW and MTE are OK. We know NYC areas and don't really want to stay in other than these 3 areas. We are 2 couples and need 2 rooms (2 persons each room). We are willing to change hotels once, as in 3 nites in one and then 3 nites in another.

Our dates can be changed if need be, as our Jetblue Tix cost $25 each to change , if space available , of course. So that means $100/total-room equivalent.

I hope this is enough to let you provide a 3* strategy.

Thanks much.

This is what i would do based upon your parameters:

Select 4* MTE for 10/14-10/20

Bid $160, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $165, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $180.

If that is rejected close that browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously. I'm assuming it's ok with your to split the bid, however, keep in mind that you could get a hotel for one set of dates and then be stuck with higher prices than you want to pay for the remaining dates. Repeat the above cycle for the following dates (in this order):

10/14-10/19

10/15-10/20

10/14-10/18

10/16-10/20

10/14-10/17

10/17-10/20

If any sub-set of dates succeeds stop bidding and report back.

If all of that is rejected, close the browser and star over, once again re-accessing priceilne however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS for 10/14-10/20

Bid $150, if rejected add MTW zone and...

Bid $160, if rejected add MTE zone and...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $180 .

If the above is rejected repeat using the following dates:

10/14-10/19

10/15-10/20

10/14-10/18

10/16-10/20

10/14-10/17

10/17-10/20

If any sub-set of dates succeeds stop bidding and report back.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the above.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks much for your very clear strategy/bidding plan.

I followed thru with your bidding plan as follows:

on 9/14, 10pm PDT:

I went thru the entire 4* set, exactly as shown except I used $180 & $190 for last 2 bids for each date subset. Then I repeated the plan again for 3* using the $180 as max., except I didn't do the last 3 date subsets. Reason was that I didn't want to get stuck with 3 nites for maybe-hi-priced rooms.

today, 9/19, around 4 pm:

I started over with 4* for the full 6 nites, and then the 1st 5 nites. I started the bids at $160 and ended at $200 (5 bids, including 2 re-bid zones). I then tried the MTS at $190 (just to try that zone out). I repeated for the 3* set for the 6-nite and 5-nite subsets, starting at $150 and ending at $180.

So, on both efforts (9/14 & 9/19), I got rejected for all the combos we desire: 4* in UM/CPS, MTW, and MTE for max. of $200 for 6-nites and 5-nites ending 10/20 (checkout), and same for 3* for max. of $180 .

I was encouraged by the recent post for $145 for the 3* Park Central for 7-nites, although that was in mid-Nov. Are we getting too late for mid-Oct. ?

Did I miss any bid techniques?

I did all this bidding starting with the SavingsBarn.com.

Thanks again for all you help.

Thank you for using the SB link. Although so far unaccepted, we do appreciate the support. :)

I don't think it's too late for mid-October... we've seen many instances where bids are continuously rejected and then suddenly accepted just a few weeks/days before check-in date. If occupancy levels fall off or the hotels get a few more cancellations than expected, you'll likely see rates come dow a bit. Of course the opposite is also true and if occupancy picks up a bit then rates today will seem inexpensive compared to where they may go.

If these are your limits i would stick with the current strategy. I will add though that i think you are just shy of hitting these. Just so you can weigh the options, this is what i believe i see for your complete stay of 10/14-10/20 thru Hotwire:

3* Park Central @$188

4* Grand Hyatt @$218

3* Murray Hill suites @$209

You can also (if you have the time) continue the above bidding strategy... since you are so close it is possible to get accepted if a hotel in question lowers their rates somewhat.

Let us know if the above raises any additional question and please keep us updated regarding your progress.

Keeping you up-to-date. I started over on 9/20 with my bid sequence (all thru SB.com) as follows:

6-nites for 4* starting at $160 and adding $10 each re-bid for these zones; MTE, then added, MTW, then UM/CPS, then UES, then UWS (ending at $200, our max.). All rejects.

I repeated this for 5-nites, starting 10/14 (to see if availability was a factor); still all rejects.

I threw in 1 bid for 4* in MTS for $190; reject.

Then I repeated my bid sequence for 6-nites for 3* starting at $150 and $10 adds , except I left out UES rebid,(ending at $180). All rejects. Repeated this for 5-nites. All rejects.

I feel rejected.

I'm encouraged by JSiegelman post of 9/20 that he got 4* Marriott-MTW for $150 for within our dates on the same day as I was bidding.. How did that happen? 2 days instead of our 6 (and our 2 rooms)?

I have been tracking HW prices and I see 4* in MTE for $236 (your Grand Hyatt at $218?). I see 3* in MTS for 227, today 239 (your Murray Hill at $209). BTW, Orbitz shows it at $199 now.

Finally, we're curious about todays HW for 3* in MTC at $195. Do you know what hotel this is?

Thanks again for all the help, and any new ideas for us. Again, we'll be happy with a 4* in UM/CPS for under $200. Is our problem 6-nites and 2 rooms?

If you go to Marriott's website and search for rates for each nite of your stay (one nite at a time) you'll see that the Marriott is sold-out for the nite of the 16th. This easily explains why you are being rejected (at least by this hotel) for any bids you attempt which include the nite of the 16th. This is why splitting the bid could work to your advantage... you could (theoretically) get accepted at this hotel for for the 17th-20th and then stay elsewhere for the 14th-17th. As you know, the problem/risk in doing this is that you get accepted for part of your stay and then the other part of your stay is out of your price range.

However, in looking at this further....

If you look at Hotwire for 10/14-10/17 there is a 4* hotel in MTE for $225. If you were successful for the 4* above at $150 or less for 10/17-10/20 you could then take this Hotwire offering at $225, bringing your average price to $188/nite (if my math is correct :) ). Of course, you could (and should) try Priceline first for 10/14-10/17 to see if you could beat the Hotwire price.

However (yeah, more....) the 4* Hotwire hotel has yet to be identified. So if you changed the dates to 10/14-10/18 you get a different 4* hotel in MTE... a customer favorite for $222 which appears to be the Drake.

Therefore if you were able to book:

Priceline 10/18-10/20 4* MTW at $150/nite (or less) = $300

Hotwire 10/14-10/18 4* MTE at $222/nite = $888

Total cost per room: $1188 / 6 nites = $198/nite (below your $200 limit)

A little messy and as said above the risk is that you book one and then the other is no longer availalbe or offered. If the above is appealing (and you can assume any risk involved) i think these are the steps to take:

1) Do Hotwire search to make sure that the prices i mention above come up for your dates. Don't forget to search for the exact paramemters you'd be looking for (ie- 2 rooms, 4 adults). Since i get two different hotels for 10/14-10/17 and 10/14-10/18 yet the prices are so close together, you should do both searches as well since you may or may not get the same hotels to show up for searches on your computer.

2) If all appears 'status quo' with Hotwire, i would then bid for the Priceline 4* hotel.... we'll provide a new strategy for this since it's not for the same dates above and we now have some additional infomation regarding a previous win near your dates and the sold-out condition at the Marriott for the 16th.

3) If you're successful with the Priceline win, then you'd immediately try Priceline for the balance of the dates and if rejected take the Hotwire offering.

Are you having fun yet? :)

Questions/Comments?

Your info is really helpful.

The thing about the Marriott bid that bothers me is that my big bid sequence of 9/14 included a 4* MTE subset for 10/17-20, starting at $160 and ending at $190 with a reject. Maybe that was then and not now?

I think we'll be happy to get 4* Marriott for 10/17-20 for $150 and then go for 4* or 3* on PL for the 1st 3 days. Failing that, go for 4* or 3* on HW.

Appreciate any strategy you can provide.

That's why i would suguested first making sure the Hotwire hotel's are there/available (but don't buy them just yet).

Then see if you can find success with Priceline for the non-Hotwire dates. If so, then the rest 'should' fall into place (with either Priceline or Hotwire).

If you wan to try this is how i would proceed for the first Priceline part of the stay:

4* MTW (10/17-10/20 or 10/18-10/20 depending upon your Hotwire search results above)...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $150.

If you decide to go with this and have success, post back and then we'll take the next step.

Good Luck (and ask any questions this may have raised)

Thanks again for info.

I did check the HW for the 3-nite and 4-nite dates as you suggested. None of the 3-nite quotes look good to me. What stands out is the 4* in MTE for 4-nites at $201. It lists a spa. Any idea as to the hotel?

Also, HW shows $179 for 3* in MTC for 4-nites. It lists Rest.+fit.ctr.; any idea for this hotel?

Pending your answers, I'm ready to try PL for the 4* for last 2 nites?.

Assuming success (???) with 4* PL, should I wait on the HW buys for the 1 4-nites? That could change against me fast; right?

I'm standing by. :) :)

From the HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST:

The 3* may be the Park Central Hotel.

If the 4* has Restaurant, Fitness, Business, Spa and is a Customer Favorite i think that is the Drake.

The Hotwire selections could change fast, but i'd think you'd be ok quickly going thru Priceline for the balance and then going with Hotwire if not successful.

I'll be sure to stick around for at least a half hour to see your results and help if needed.

Good Luck.

Finally!

We did it (you mostly).

We nailed the HW 4* MTE at $201 for 10/14-18, and it did turn out to be the Drake (good for you).

Then, I went to PL and did your plan exactly for 10/18-10/20, EXCEPT I got chicken, having 4 rejects in a row, and for the last bid went to $160.

Would you believe; accepted at Marriott Marquis.

Thanks much and have a good night. :)

Congratulations!! That's great news!!

I'm really happy with the way this one turned out and that we used a little finesse to get it done! Have you told your friends yet or have you kept them in the dark as to your bidding adventures... i'm sure they'll be pleased with the outcome?

I'll edit this title to reflect the Priceline win but please add a new topic to reflect the Hotwire side of the purchase (this will allow each win to have its own thread and also reflect the winning hotel in each title). I'll also add a link to this thread to go to the Hotwire side of the purchase.

Congratulations once again. If you need help with any of your NYC itinerary feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

We have returned from our NYC trip and enjoyed it all. We especially enjoyed the Marriott Marquis hotel. The hotel is located very near Broadway and Times Square, a very busy area. But this is a huge building, the lobby is on the 8th floor, so the guests are somewhat insulated from the busy street scene. We asked for non-smoking rooms as high as possible and they put us on the 35th floor, with an outstanding view. Beds and all were very comfortable.

I got curious about the Priceline charges for "Taxes and Fees". This was a combined item and amounted to 15.6%. I have asked (e-mail) PL to breakout the taxes collected but they won't do that. I have to assume that the PL "service fee" is 2.3%. BTW, despite the PL claim that they collect all the taxes, the hotel collected an additional $2/night for occupancy tax.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel. (can you please copy/paste the review part of your post to the HOTEL REVIEWS part of the forum.

Priceline does not state that they colllect all taxes, the only collect sales and hotel taxes, and other charges, such as occupancy and tourism taxes are not included (from Priceline's website under 'Help' and searching for taxes):

Depending on the city and property you stay in, you may also be charged a "Hotel Occupancy Tax", resort fees, parking charges, room service, etc. as these costs are not included in the price you pay priceline. These charges, if applicable, will be payable to the hotel directly at checkout.

The forumula for breaking down the fees and taxes is somewhat complex, but the fees for this two nite stay probably amounts to about $11-$14.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]