Priceline Hotel: 4* Minneapolis-St Paul (Airport MSP-MofA) Sofitel

beckes
By beckes,
in

Well, I simply refused to stay at that Le Bourget Aero Suites this time. Again, I don't know why I hate that place so much. I think it might be that a hotel that is "SUPPOSEDLY" 3.5 stars might actually put ice machines on every floor. Most likely it is that a 2 star hotel should not be rated as 3, and then upgraded to 3.5.

This is my first time at this hotel. 4 stars?? We shall see. I did notice that the restaurant is French, so I am off to a bad start already! The last time I was in France, I ordered "Horse Meat" without knowing it!!!!!!!!!

I used the PRICELINE link in appreciation for this web site.

Cheers!

By the way, these hotels claiming they are MSP airport is getting rediculous. This sucker is about 12 miles away. The airport is as close to downtown Minneapolis for Heaven Sakes!!!

Congratulations on your success!

Hope this hotel works better for you than your prior stay at the Le Bourget. In terms of hotels being far away from the airport, I would contact PRICELINE and politely complain to them that the Sofitel is a bit too far to be considered in the airport zone. They may not do anything, but they may take it into consideration.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using the site's PRICELINE link. Enjoy your stay.

By the way, these hotels claiming they are MSP airport is getting rediculous. This sucker is about 12 miles away. The airport is as close to downtown Minneapolis for Heaven Sakes!!!

The Sheraton is even farther from the airport than the Sofitel, by a few blocks.

The big issue with the Sofitel, at least for some travellers, is that Sofitel doesn't have an airport shuttle and one-way cabfare is $20-25. Most Priceline bidders assume any 4* hotel in an airport zone will have a shuttle. Not true.

Priceline's enormous Airport-Mall of America zone is divided into three zones on Hotwire.

Well, I simply refused to stay at that Le Bourget Aero Suites this time. Again, I don't know why I hate that place so much.

Le Bourget seems to elicit strong reactions, one way or the other. Personally I prefer Le Bourget over the Sheraton, although I agree it's overrated at 3.5*. I'd rate Le Bourget 3*. Generally I prefer small hotels like Le Bourget over enormous convention/business hotels like Sheraton. To me the Shearton is generic and bland, like any Sheraton anywhere, while Le Bourget is intimate and has personality. You can't beat the views from a high floor at the Sheraton though.

The Sofitel is a beautiful, elegant hotel. I think you will be happy with it.

I was surprised though that it didn't have shuttle service. The cab fare sounded steep until I checked Supershuttle. On them, it would be $38 if you got a round trip, $20 each way. You usually can poke around the web and find a $3 off coupon which helps a little.

Downtown Minneapolis is almost 20 miles away.

Romelle

I expect Priceline will be getting a lot of complaints from stranded travelers after the Sheraton drops their shuttle service in May. No shuttle to the Sheraton will affect more people than no shuttle to the Sofitel, as 3* and 3.5* bidding are much more common in MSP zone than 4*.

Sofitel is the only 4* in the zone. And because Sofitel's Priceline rate is consistently higher than the 3.5* and 3* people rarely win the Sofitel on an upgrade. Bidders who get the Sofitel are mostly those who were targeting it and knew what they'd be getting in advance.

3.5* and 3* bidding in MSP zone are much more common. There are nine reported hotels at those ratings, and as far as I know the 3.5* Sheraton will be the only one without a shuttle. And 3* bids do get upgraded to 3.5*. Until now bidding 3.5* or 3* meant you were guaranteed a hotel with a shuttle.

Maybe the complaints I'm anticipating will convince Priceline to finally split the zone in two---Bloomington East and Bloomington West. Both of the "no shuttle" hotels will be in Bloomington West and bidders who require a shuttle will stick to Bloomington East.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]