Hotwire Hotel: Considering my first trip to london.

GeorgeAD4
By GeorgeAD4,
in

With the help of the good people, I planned a very successful first trip to hawaii.

I have seen some great price on airfares (ie. 350 round trip to london, 220 round trip to ireland) and am considering one of the options.

Someone suggested NOT renting a car for london as there is good public transportation and that americans are best not learning to drive on the left in a big city.

I noticed several choices that appeared reasonably priced, which could cause this trip to go together.

I am not sure which areas are safe and convienent. also which gives the best bang for the buck.

Im seeing docklands 56.00 and heathrow airport 39.00. someone found chelsea for 39.00 for three days which seems an unbelievable price.

My first question is, should i go to london or ireland?

2nd. Is that 39.00 for three days (like 13 a day) real? and if so, is that a good area to go? If that can be gotten, Im fairly confident im going to go to london :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

George

Both London and Dublin are amazing cities. You have a tough choice. I usually go to a library and check out an armload of guide books and start reading them, when faced with such a decision. Pencil in hand, and paper handy, I make lists of things I'd REALLY like to do in the candidate cities. Pretty soon one list just gets longer and more interesting and compulsive than the other. I like the Lonely Planet series to actually take with me (great maps and directions), but for this research process you want maybe 3 or 4 other ones, including those mostly picture ones.

London - The Wheel, The British Museum, pint of ale and darts in a pub, pub grub, changing of the guard, various castles, .....

Dublin - Guinness brewery tour, Jamisson distillery tour, the Book of Kells, scones, that wonderful lilting speech pattern, ......

Your list will be different, but I think it will get you to a decision.

Nail that airfare quickly, as this fare war won't last forever. You can sort out a place to stay after that. Along with the low airfares, hotels are feeling the economy problems also and their rates are also lower than they've been in quite a while.

Other than maybe 1st night with a late arrival and/or last night for an early departure, Heathrow is too far out to stay.

I agree with your advice about not renting a car. Public transportation works well, and just gives you one more view of a city and its people. You isolate yourself in a car. And you have to park it and gas it and worry about dents.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]