Priceline Hotel: 2 1/2* Amerisuites $33@ Mystic on 6/6

ufauxreal
By ufauxreal,
in

Bid what I figured was a low-ball offer.... and it was accepted... Woo Hoo!

Your Offer Price: $33.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $33.00

Taxes: $3.96

Processing Fee: $5.95

Total Charges: $42.91

Can anyone tell from the taxes (c. 12% in CT) what priceline paid??? I'm mathematically challenged :)

JB (A happy camper)

Based on my good fortune on this bid, I tried bidding for this same hotel for four nights at the end of August.... but was rejected. Of course, the four nights also include part of Labor Day weekend.

I then tried the same four nights on Hotwire (a previous Hotwire search seemed to bring up the same hotel, judging from the amenities).... they show NO availability for the last four nights in August.

Any advice on how to proceed with Priceline for those four nights. It is still a long way from now, but has anyone else had experience getting availability on a major holiday weekend??? Mystic IS a 'resort' destination.

Thanks!

JB

Well, from the AmeriSuites website the rate for your successful bid date is $165, while Labor Day weekend is $229 ($119 for AAA discount).

I would continue to monitor their website for any reductions in the above rates, and book a cancellable back-up in the meantime. I also checked Hotwire for each of your dates individually (and for 2 consecutive nites), and all showed no availability.

Remember, Priceline and Hotwire each get excess inventory, and at this early stage of the game, the hotels can only guess what the demand will actually be like. Based upon the rates they're quoting above, they're probably expecting to sell out, but IF they have rooms available as the date draws closer i think you'll see the rates drop at which point you'll have a better chance of success with Priceline/Hotwire.

Since their website's rate is about 30% more than the rate during your June stay, you could consider increasing your $33 bid by 30%, although i don't know if that is such a good idea and if you'd be anymore successful by doing so. Assuming your math skills didn't get any better in the last 24 hours, that's $44 to you and me :).

I think the best advice is to just book a cancellable back-up, be patient, and continue to monitor the rates from the AmeriSuites website.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

btw, I have been able to obtain $33 AmeriSuites for various locations like Mt Laurel, NJ and Princeton, NJ and Richmond (Innsbrook) VA ...etc but not able to for months ever since Hyatt acquired it ... so this is a great news for me ... and I am bidding it now as well to see if I can duplicate your luck ... Thanks a lot!

also, I was able to verify from AmeriSuites that, in fact, $33 has been the magic minimum ... Website of AmeriSuite was several that left to be able to compromised ...

btw, I have been able to obtain $33 AmeriSuites for various locations like Mt Laurel, NJ and Princeton, NJ and Richmond (Innsbrook) VA ...etc but not able to for months ever since Hyatt acquired it ... so this is a great news for me ... and I am bidding it now as well to see if I can duplicate your luck ... Thanks a lot!

I hate to burst your bubble, but check the date on my previous post... it was 2003! I haven't seen those kind of rates in a while. I tried to get the Amerisuites in Mt. Laurel last year (2004) and was totally unsuccessful.. and I'll probably be trying again this year.

Please let us know if you've been successful on the Mystic Amerisuites.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops! You are right; no wonder I kept on being rejected on 2.5* Mystic...

As far as Mt Laural NJ 2.5* goes, I either got AmeriSuites at $33 or I did not. Why? Because there is a Ramada Inn [ok, I stayed there ...] that will take $35 min, so even if I willing to bid more for AmeriSuites, I was afraid of hitting that Ramada. Otherwise, at $38 you may hit Summerfield Suites which is terrific!!! But you have to bid just one day in advance on this one. It's tricky and seldom occured.

So, if AmeriSuites ever raised its min [remember, it is under Hyatt now... yes, the same Hyatt does not give you $37 for Jersey City], then you would better to make sure Ramada Inn sold out before bidding Mt Laurel 2.5* ...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]