Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) Hilton Garden Inn

HHP
By HHP,
in

I am new to this forum and also to Hotwire. I am planning a family trip to Chicago. We will be arriving at Union Station and would like to stay downtown near all the attractions. We are family that typically stays at hotels like Embassy Suites/Homewood Suites. A pool is very important to my daughter. I would appreciate your best guesses and recommendations for these hotels and any other recommendations that you would offer for our upcoming trip. So here are the details:

trip date 4/5/09-4/10/09

2 adults, 1 child (6)

Options on Hotwire today:

4 star hotel in Chicago loop $78

fitness center

pool

restaurant

business center

internet

Palmer, maybe?? The reviews on this hotel make me nervous.

4 star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast $109

fitness center

restaurant

business center

internet

4 star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville $99

no smoking

fitness center

pool

restaurant

business center

internet

3 star hotel in Magnificant Mile Area - Streeterville $139

fitness center

pool

restaurant

business center

laundry

internet

2.5 star hotel in Lake View - Lincoln Park - Wrigleyville $79

no smoking

breakfast

laundry

internet

4.5 star hotel in Magnificant Mile Area - Streeterville $163

finess center

restaurant

business center

internet

3.5 star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Cost $139

boutique

fitness center

restaurant

business center

internet

golf nearby

tennis nearby

SPA

2.5 star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville $139

fitness center

restaurant

business center

laundry

internet

Thank you!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please realize that identifying HOTWIRE hotels can be a time consuming process... please try to narrow your focus of what you're really looking for from this stay, rather than post (i'm assuming) every hotel that appears in the zones you're willing to consider.

For example, you mention that a pool is important to your family... yet less than half of the eight hotels you've requested help with above show a pool icon?? As well, it's not common that somebody who would be seriously considering a 2.5* property is also seriously considering a 4.5* property (with a nearly $100 spread between the two)... usually the person is more likely a customer of one of the other.

I'd suggest a good palce to start would be with the hotels which show a Pool icon and see if any of them meet your needs. Have you tried to identify any of these on your own by comparing what is shown to what has previously been reported in the Hotwire Hotel List... let us know what you find and we can then confirm what you believe you're being offered.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please help me identify this hotel:

Trip date 4/5-4/10/09

4* hotel on Mag Mile

fitness facilities

restaurant

business center

internet

$102/night

I'm comparing this to the

4* on the Loop

fitness facilities

pool

restaurant

business center

internet

$78/night (which I assume is the Palmer)

Thank you.

The amenities for the Mag Mile property are very common for a city hotel, especially in this zone, and match the Sheraton, Westin River North, Hard Rock, Hyatt, and Sofitel, so any of these would be considered possibilities.

Note that in the same zone and for for the same price there is also a 4.5* property with a 4.0/5.0 Tripadvisor rating which is a match for the Inter-Continental so that would be my best guess for that one.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know which you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Palmer House is in the Loop. During the day, that has some benefits: State St. shopping, closer to museums/millennium park. However, at night (and when I say "at night", I mean 8/9pm and onwards), that area is likely going to be very quiet. The Mag Mile area is more active later into the night.

I think the Palmer is a fine hotel - it's an gigantic older property that was recently renovated/remodeled. It does offer one of the most classically/"old school" gorgeous hotel lobbies in the city and possibly the country. It seems to get mixed reviews, but I think a lot of people just aren't into historic hotels. Room size can be a bit small too, due to how old the property is.

It's difficult to know what the Mag Mile hotel is, so it's hard to compare. However, I think the Westin River North is one of the nicest properties in the city at the 4* level.

Thank you both for your help. I've had a death in my family; so it may delay my trip. I'll put in my bid when I have a better of idea of when I'm able to leave for this trip. I've read up more about the Palmer and it certainly is beautiful. I also think that manage some of the negative aspects.

I would love to stay Intercontinental. I do see the 4.5 star hotel on Mag mile with the fitness, restaurant, business center and internet access, for $95 a night (same dates). Based on your comments, this is probably a good match for that hotel.

I'll use your HOTWIRE link and let you know what win.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

I thought that I'd give you an update. We are leaving for Chicago, but a day late. I was excited at the option of staying at the Intercontinental, but I could only get a reservation for 2 (I assume they had just one bed as an option). After reading your comments, I decided that I did want to stay on the Mag Mile. An indoor pool was also important to us. I ended up booking the Hilton Garden Inn, Chicago, Downtown North, using your HOTWIRE link. The listing on HOTWIRE was:

3*

fitness center

pool

restaurant

business center

internet

$59 a night (for each day of the week)

You probably know this, but my travel dates are April 6th to the 10th.

I am happy with this option and I really appreciate your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]