Priceline Hotel: Need Guidance From Seasoned Bidders for Trip to Rome

ca_gold
By ca_gold,
in

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Rome in May and am coming across a number of challenges. Please chip in for any of the following points

1) I have to book two rooms (4) people, but one for 6 night and one for 4 nights (also arriving different days). We all have to be at the same hotel. As I can not change stay duration when bidding on more then one room I was thinking of the following option: What are your thoughts

- I bid for two rooms for 5 nights. Then I bid for 1 room for one more night using the same criteria, hoping I get the same hotel for my party. This way I've paid extra for the one night for the one empty room, but is that better then just book staright through and losing two nights. If I have to my move my party out the last day and check into another hotel, that would be ok.

Is there any other way around this?

2) Is it resonable to get a 4* hotel in central rome for 120-140 range which includes airport shuttle?

3) Can anyone confirm that I can input the names of the guests checking prior to my bid? As this being paid on my credit card, and the other party has to show confirmation of accomodation in their name for visa purposes.

Thanks for your help!

I would bid two rooms for 4 nights. Then I'd bid 1 room for 2 nights. That's the cheapest approach.

With Priceline, you cannot specify an airport shuttle. For most hotels in central Rome, this will not be a free service. They'll have different services for getting you to the airport, most likely including hotel cars. Or you could take a taxi.

You can enter one name for one room, and another name for the other room, while doing a PRICELINE bid for two rooms.

Make sure you are happy with Priceline's zones, because they are quite large and include areas that aren't the most favored.

Will thats a great tip. I didnt think of it like that. Ill bid on the rooms together for the duration both parties are in the city at the same time.

Ill bid seperately for the other two nights.

When you say that the areas not the most favored, is that in regards to them being dodgy, shady areas, or just location wise not the most favored? Any tips on how to ensure I can get the best area given pricelines map (only bid for 5 star? )

WillTravel, knows Rome much better than i do so i'll leave it up to her or anyone else to dicuss zones/locations.

But in regards to the names on the reservation, PRICELINE first asks for the name of one guest for each room and in this part your can enter the names of your friends... later in the bidding procedure it asks for billing information and the name of the person on the credit card.

Just an FYI, HOTWIRE works similairly but you don't give a name for each person... they only ask for one person in the entire group and put all rooms in that person's name.

Each service (PRICELINE and HOTWIRE) does allow you to put the room in a different name than the person whose credit card is being used, so for example, if i wanted to give a gift of a hotel room to somebody, i could use their name as the guest even though all the billing information would be in my name.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You most likely will get a better location if you bid for a 5* hotel. However, as always, there could be a wildcard hotel show up. Almost all of the 4* hotels that have shown up so far are near Termini, which is not typically considered a favored area. However, looking at the reviews, it seems many guests are happy enough with the location. Take a look at the reviews for all the 4* hotels that have come up so far. I think I'd rather have one of the 4* hotels near Termini than one of the Vatican-area hotels, in terms of convenience. Even with a 4* hotel, I would not expect anything luxurious, and I think the reviews confirm that.

The non-Priceline hotel I stayed at in Rome, Hotel Julia, has a great location and I liked it, but is definitely only a 3* hotel. But you might also want to take a look at what they offer at the next door Domus Julia, which is sort of an apartment residence.

May tends to be a pretty expensive month, so I would also book a backup hotel right away if you decide not to book with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE now.

There is good train service from the Rome airports to central Rome. Assuming you land at FCO, the train is the Leonardo Express, and is a wonderful bright yellow. It runs every 1/2 hour from about 6:30am to almost midnight directly from the airport to Termini. Termini is a huge interesting place in it's own right. And then there are cabs lining up right outside it to take you the rest of the way to your hotel.

Or - cab fare was 40 euros from FCO to central Rome the last time I checked.

Romelle

And think of changing hotels for the last two days as just adding another interesting element to your trip. Slightly different neighborhood, etc.

Thanks for the tips guys.

So far have Priceline has rejected my bids from 120 - 190 bidding on a four and five stars for central rome.

im a little wary on booking the Hotwire 3 star as it has not been identified yet.

My other option is to book a furnished apartment. Here is the one I like the most. http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Fontana-IV.html. ive gotten in touch with the agent, and it seems the price will come to about 2100 USD. which is quite good for 6 nights. Does this site look legit to you guys?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

I have also been bidding up to 190 for 4* and 5* for May 23-25 with no luck. I think I'm going to book the NH or the Raddison. I'm really surprised i can't get a 4* for $190. Do you think the hotles are holding out on giving inventory away to priceline?

yah its really suprising. reading through this board, people have won the InterCon and such at 160 or so! heopfully something works out, keep us posted of your winning bid though.

thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]