Thailand Phuket JW Marriott

Chris26WI
By Chris26WI,
in

Stayed here for 3 nights in early December 2003 and for 3 nights in June 2004; it is really a very delightful beach resort in the Northern part of Phuket island, with direct access to the ocean (at beach usually only some hotel guests, almost nobody else).

The hotel wasn't fully booked at all, maybe only 1 third of all rooms occupied (according to the lights from the windows in the evening). I've got a room for 366HK$ a night (for Dec 2003) and even got an upgrade to a terrace room during check-in!! What a great deal (usual price for terrace room at this period: 300 USD/night). Some Marriott rewards points have been credited to my Marriott rewards account as well. That's really getting the most out of a priceline-booking! - For the stay in June I got a room for 41 USD (+PL-fees/taxes) - upgrade vom 4star to 5star - and got upgraded to an Ocean View room (well, you don't really see the ocean there..).

The rooms were in excellent condition, large bathroom with large tub, with sliding windows to the bedroom, an inside sala to the window and a nice terrace with longchairs and normal chairs/table. Every day, a fruit basked had been provided, and some chocolate for the night (turndown service). Rooms have DVD-players (Sony), you can rent DVDs in the health club (but they charge around 300Bt. rental fee per DVD per day - so you can buy these cheaper in Patong or bkk).

Two very nice pools, the main pool being very large, the Northern pool a bit more "private" but nice too.

They offer a shuttle van to Phuket Town and Patong around every 30 mins, but you have to book early as it's quickly fully booked. It takes more than one hour to Patong because they pass Phuket town before. But, the shuttle used to be COMPLIMENTARY during my stay (expected to be charged for it).

The food in the hotel restaurants is quite expensive, expect to pay b. ex. at least 1200-1500 Baht for two persons for dinner in the Sala Thai Restaurant. Cheapest solution is to order some food from the room service (from around 190Bt++ for main course). Next to the hotel (north of the hotel) is a small Thai open restaurant ("Linda's place"), which is much cheaper but the atmosphere is not too good.

1092260437.jpg

1092260323.jpg

1092260221.jpg

1092229748.jpg

1092229589.jpg

1092229662.jpg

1092260101.jpg

• 1 month later...

Stayed at JW early Oct. (4 nites). Got a ocean veiw room as Marriot Silver.Wonderful resort, but the Location is TERRIBLE.The rooms are true 5* and service was fine. IF YOU LIKE TO BE CONFINED TO THE RESORT AND BE OBLIGATED TO EAT THEIR FOOD THIS IS YOU KIND OF PLACE. The shuttle service has been cut back to 3 times a day and the charge is 100 bht(one way).The trip to town or to to patong is 45min - 1 hr. Busses leave at 9am noon 7pm.One day I took the bus to town at noon,arrived 1 pm and waited till 7PM for the return bus as this is the only one.Taxi from town want 500Bht $12. The bus on the way back went via patong beach and finally arrived at hotel at 8:30PM.So if you like to laze around the pool and do not much, this is you place .Any kind of Transportation starts 500BHT $12. Yes it is a great place but I must also say the beach is nothing special, I have seen much better in Thailand. The hotel grounds are wonderful as the pictures say. But I would not personaly stay here more than 2 nites again if if ever again. Yes I got the Bargain basement price but that doesn't matter LOCCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!!!!!BTW I spoke to other guests and they agreed with my sentiments.

• 5 months later...

Stayed March 18th to 25th, our second visit.

Wasn't sure what to expect after Dec 26th. Low occupancy but still plenty of tourists and disaster relief staff, inc. UK police, Aussies and USA workers and agents. Relaxed and respectful atmosphere anyway. As the northernmost hotel on Phuket, it's the base for some of the repatriation workers located in Khao Lak, a few miles to the north over the mainland bridge.

Minor damage from tsunami has all been repaired. Mai Khao beach is steep from the sea, so this protected the hotel from the waves, which is well set back anyway. The water reached the main pool deck and restaurant, but all vegatation's been replaced and you wouldn't know anything had happened here.

We didnt try as many of the hotel facilites this year, preferring to spread as much money as possible throughout the island.

Won't repeat the earlier points about the hotel and grounds, it's just a fabulous place with excellent service and sumptious rooms.

Only very minor gripe is that the daily complimentary sachets of ground Mocha coffee beans have been replaced with standard Nescafe tube sachets. A shame to lose such a nice touch especially for an American chain.

The location has always been a problem if you want the nightlife or shopping but it's a great place for relaxation and getting away from it all. We used it as a break between Chiang Mai and Bangkok and it was perfect, but you are restricted (we took chocolote, biscuits, all essentials to avoid paying the high prices onsite)

There are very cheap restaurants outside the hotel within 10-15mins drive and there are taxis outside the hotel gates, but expensive even for Phuket.

One gripe i had last year was that even with the premium prices, the hotel food wasn't as quite as good as it should have been.

The main restaurant seems to have improved since last year and the food was excellent, Marriott Cafe similarly great, but the Italian "Cucina" is still not great value. A daily special "mixed seafood" pasta had one king prawn, one piece of fish and was buffered out with squid, which was pretty dreadful. If you pay high prices, you expect the best food, not cost cutting.

Service however is immaculate, staff very very good and always smiling and helpful.

A bottle of Singha beer is currently 130 Baht throughout the hotel, roughly double the street price. Wine is very expensive, as it is everywhere in Thailand.

The Spa is one of the best in Asia, but very expensive. You pay for the ambience, not the treatment. 2800Baht for Thai massage as opposed to 300Baht (about $7) elsewhere. Depends what you want i guess.

Excellent sauna and jacuzzi area, split into sexes.. Mountain bike hire, gym, free classes every day from Yoga to Thai boxing and cookery..

There's an onsite deli / bakery /shop that bakes fresh Danish pastries, croissants and makes up sandwiches every day. Lots of good stuff you'd struggle to find elsewhere on Phuket.

The hotel is currently undergoing building work on land to one side (to balance up the "Vacation Club" timeshare apartments). It's big stuff, but unobtrusive noisewise at present, and well buffered from the main hotel grounds. I had a wander over one morning and caught the 100 strong building team doing their morning group Tai Chi session, can just imagine that happening in the UK...... :)

All in all, one of the best hotels you can ever hope to visit, but slightly let down by location and lack of choice outside the grounds if that's an issue.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]