Priceline Hotel: any* Napa-Sonoma (Santa Rosa-Rohnert Park-Petaluma) Bidding Strategy.

SpaceSquirrel
By SpaceSquirrel,
in

Greetings!

I've gotta go to the dentist in Petaluma this afternoon and anticipate not wanting to drive home afterwards (is almost 2 hour drive for me), so I'm trying to formulate a bidding strategy on PRICELINE. Wanted to post for feedback since I haven't tried to do this in a while.

This is for 1 person, 1 night, tonight 3/20 - 3/21 (I know options may be somewhat limited since it's same-day).

There are 4 zones in the area.

Zone 1 = Fairfield = 3* and below

Zone 2 = Napa = 4* and beow

Zone 3 = Santa Rosa - Rohnert Park - Petaluma = 3.5* and below

Zone 4 = Sonoma = 4* and below

I want Zone 3, so Zones 2 and 4 are useless to me. I'm not sure yet if I care what star level I get or how much I'm willing to pay (plan to check on rates at the 2 places closest to my destination soon). See below for pricing info.

It seems I should be able to bid:

1. Zone 3 @ 4 star

2. Zone 3 @ 3.5 star

3. Zone 1+3 @ 4 star

4. Zone 1+3 @ 3.5 star

5. Zone 3 @ 3 star

6. Zone 3 @ 2 star

7. Zone 3 @ 1 star

Am I understanding the bidding process correctly? I know I may have to close the browser to re-try under certain circumstances (I have 2 different computers with 3 different browsers each if needed ;). Any advice on what price to start at?

The non-opaque section of Priceline is starting around $60. Hotwire (which I might actually prefer based on prior experience) has a 2 star for $32, 3.5* for $58 or 4* for $65 (haven't tried to match those to actual hotels others have seen yet). The local Motel 6 is $46 + tax but it has some pretty horrible reviews at TripAdvisor.

Thanks!

I can get a room at the Petaluma Americas Best Value Inn & Suites (used to be Dollar Inn) at 5135 Montero Way for about $55 through Expedia, so think I'm going to use $50 as my max bid. When I was there before it wasn't a great hotel, but wasn't too terrible (maybe a 2 or 2.5 by Priceline's standards? ... I really don't know from hotel * ratings). It's in the perfect location for me, so am willing to forgo some comforts. It is under new management somewhat recently, and think it's gotten better reviews since the switch than it did before. The Quality Inn next door was much nicer when I was there, but it's booking for $95+tax, so I'm likely to opt for the cheaper one to see how the new management is doing.

Hi SpaceSquirrel - If HOTWIRE has a 3.5* and a 4* for $58 or $65, you should be able to get a hotel of that level at approximately your limit on PRICELINE before fees. You seem well informed, so I'd go for it and treat yourself. And if you don't get what you want from PL, go for one of the Hotwire listings. You can probably identify the HW hotels easily through the list on this site or through the HW Vacation packages. Good luck!

BTW SS: I did a little sleuthing and the 3.5* is almost certainly the Hilton in Santa Rosa. The amenities list matches exactly.

The 4* is a bit of a puzzle. The amenities list matches the Sheraton Petaluma, but that is listed as a 3.5* in the BB list. On the vacation packages, the 4* properties are the Hyatt and the Doubletree. So that one is a mystery, but I'm guessing the Sheraton.

Again, hope this helped.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]