Priceline Hotel: Advice for bidding during convention time

heinous
By heinous,
in

Hi! I'm a Priceline newbie - only used it once before. I'm looking for a room in Chicago during a convention - 10/8-10/12. First of all, is it too early to bid now? When should I start? Does anyone know how much I might expect to pay?

I appreciate any help! Thanks so much! :)

Christine

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Convention Bidding: Bid early, bid often, monitor conventional rates, be open to multiple zones, be willing to SPLIT YOUR BID, are all things that can increase your chances.

What zones, star rating, and maximm bid do you have in mind? Is splitting the bid an option?

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi! Thanks for your help!

I'd be open to splitting my bid if it's going to save me over $30/night. Otherwise, it won't be worth it because I'll be really busy at that time.

I'm looking for either a 3* or 4* for $70-$80. Looking at the other posts for Chicago, that seems doable. I don't know how much conventions change things. The convention will host around 40,000 people, but I'm sure there are more than enough hotel rooms in Chicago for all of those people.

I'd like to stay in either greater Chicago (since this includes the McCormick Place Hyatt), Loop, or North Michigan area.

Thanks again for your advice!

Christine

Prices for those other dates aren't likely to be relevant for your dates... 40,000 extra people in town will likely fill a LOT of otherwise vacant rooms. Sure the city can handle that many.... but it certainly disrupts the supply vs. demand relationship. From the hotel's point of view, why should they offer rooms to Priceline/Hotwire at deeply discounted rates when they have a good chance of selling out their property those nites and gettng near-rack rates?

Just as an exercise, find a recent win around the $80 range in Chicago for dates in the future. Then go to that hotel's website and see their best available rate. Then check that same website for your dates. What are the rates?

Let me know the figures from the above 'exercise'. Is $80 your maximum bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Maybe the website of the Graph Expo is offering some advice that needs to be heeded:

ALERT: Book Early, Chicago Marathon Taking Place During Show

-----

We want to alert you that the yearly Chicago Marathon kicks off on Sunday, October 10, which is also the first day of GRAPH EXPO and CONVERTING EXPO 2004. The Graphic Arts Show Company (GASC) has made every effort to protect hotel rooms at last year's rate or with only a slight increase. It is more important than ever that you take advantage of these rates we have negotiated on your behalf. Book your rooms before the cut-off date of September 10, 2004. Please know that due to the demand of the Chicago Marathon, which is a very popular activity in Chicago, hotel rooms will quickly become unavailable.

------

In addition, the Graph Expo is not the only show in Chicago during your dates - there is also a Remodeling industry show that ends on the 9th, and a number of other, smaller shows. My advice is to have one or more cancellable backups in hand.

Booking via PL around the time of a moderate/major convention is not impossible, but you also need to carefully analyze the entire situation before making your lodging decision. As you may have read in the NY threads, some NYC hotels released unsold rooms not claimed by Republican Convention delegates. Again, with a cancellable backup in place, you could position yourself to try to take advantage of this potential opportunity (but again playing devil's advocate, those marathon runners are the exactly the type of group that rarely changes its plans (since they've trained so long to qualify for entry into thj marathon itself)..

Good luck and best wishes in your quest!

Thanks for all your suggestions and the information about the marathon. What terrible convention planning - the city's going to be crowded and locked up by the marathon for the first day of the convention! I hope transportation isn't a nightmare.

OK, so I've made my cancellable reservation, and I actually found one for pretty cheap. So I may try bidding, but $80 will be my max bid.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I'll post it if I get anything!

Christine

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]