Hotwire Hotel: Nice hotel in Rome

BM123
By BM123,
in

Hi

I'm new to this board and appreciate any help and apologize if i am asking questions for which replies have already been posted.

I'm travelling to Italy for 8 days with my gf. We've booked flights and are now looking for hotels. I'd like to book a nice hotel in Rome from May 15th to May 17th. The main objective will be sightseeing so thought Central or Vatican area would be a good area to stay in.

The Intercontinental De La Ville looks like a good one for us and have heard it mentioned a number of times reading through this Board. What should i try ( on Priceline or Hotwire) to get the best price for this hotel? If there is a better hotel or better value moving down to 4 or 4 1/2 star i'd appreciate the insight.

I'll post what i get as I do my search....

Thanks

BM

How much money can you spend? You can probably get the Intercontinental on Priceline or Hotwire for around $260, much higher than what it's going for on bids for this month (March 2009). I tried to book get it on Priceline for May to no avail. I just booked a 4* on Hotwire for May 5-12 for $164 per night at the Golden Tulip Ambra, which mostly received good reviews on TripAdvisor but it's in the Termini area, which is centrally located but certainly isn't the Spanish Steps.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

PRICELINE is usually cheaper than HOTWIRE, but with hotwire you can take an eduated guess before your purchase as to the hotel you may likely receive based upon the ameniities shown... with PRICELINE you're subject to any hotel in the zone rated 5 stars. So it comes down to what your objective is for this stay... the least expensive 5* hotel OR specifically trying to target the Inter-Continental.

Likewise, whether you lower your star rating for a better value depends upon your budget and what your needs are from a hotel this trip.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let su know your thoughts regarding the above and how you'd like to proceed or any questions you may have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I dont mind spending $150 - 300 depending on the place. I read about the Golden Tulip on trip adviser and seems like a bit of a sketchy area. Any thoughts on what the 4 star in the Vatican city area is? (comp breakfast, resto, business, hi speed). thanks for your help so far....

Unfortuantely the 4* HOTWIRE property has not yet been identified... and while here in the States it would be fairly unique for a 4* hotel to offer complimentary breakfast, it appears to be somewhat common in this area, so not too much insight can be gained from the amenity combination. :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

How much money can you spend? You can probably get the Intercontinental on Priceline or Hotwire for around $260, much higher than what it's going for on bids for this month (March 2009). I tried to book get it on Priceline for May to no avail. I just booked a 4* on Hotwire for May 5-12 for $164 per night at the Golden Tulip Ambra, which mostly received good reviews on TripAdvisor but it's in the Termini area, which is centrally located but certainly isn't the Spanish Steps.

Geoff:

I have stayed at the Ambra Palace, it was a very nice hotel. We booked thru Priceline 3 years ago and were upgraded to a superior room. The area is a working class ethnic area, we felt totally safe walking back to our hotel at night. There were a few acceptible restaurants in the area. Across the street is a produce market that seems to attract police presence during the day. A metro stop is located one block behind the hotel. We walked thru nice neighborhoods south of the hotel taking a short cut to the colosseum.

On the downside there are no memorable views from the hotel nor roof garden/terrace to enjoy an evening drink. Breakfast was very good also.

Have a great trip. I'm searching for rooms in May also and would consider staying at the Ambra Palace again. The Mecenate Palace is also very good, we were fortunate to have a view of the basilica from our room.

JR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]