Hotwire Hotel: 3* Baltimore (Columbia-Jessup) La Quinta Inn Jessup

trflyer
By trflyer,
in

Using forum links, originally bid PRICELINE Columbia-Jessup 3-1/2 and 3 stars from $40 all the way up to $65 with no wins...how disappointing.

Next using forum links, went to HOTWIRE and saw 3*s at $65 so I went for it and was given the Jessup La Quinta, ugh! In my view, Jessup La Quinta is a 2 star at best. I contacted Hotwire customer service and they refused to cancel their booking claiming that even though they show La Quinta as 2 stars in their "Ratings Guide", the Jessup La Quinta they gave me is 3 stars. They said Travelocity and Expedia rates it 3 stars as justification. I checked and Expedia rates it only 2.5 stars while Travelocity does give it 3.

Despite Travelocity's rating, due to the location and the facility itself, this is a 2 star hotel. I feel Hotwire did a bait and switch, will be wary of Hotwire's promise in the future. I will need to look beyond the Ratings Guide and check out specific property ratings before trusting Hotwire again.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the results of this purchase.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view these by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

I would contact HOTWIRE again, let them know that you 'accepted' their answer previously that this property is rated 3* given that Expedia also rates it 3*, but you've since done some research and in fact Expedia rates the property 2.5* (i'd also add any others major booking services that rate this property 2.5*) Of course if your previous contact was with email i would continue to use that email and quote the part where they stated the property was 3* and consistent with Expedia's rating.

Let us know if you make any headway.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

EDIT: i see your stay has already began? If so this makes it a bit tougher, but if you're at the hotel and can find tangible things that are 'wrong' with the property you should call HOTWIRE and let them know the hotel doesn't meet the standards of a 3 star. Hope you're stay is going better than expected.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here are the amenities for the LaQuinta in Jessup:

3-star hotel in Columbia - Jessup - Elkridge

This hotel features the following amenities:

Complimentary Breakfast

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

My comments are that the alleged Breakfasts and Fitness Center are 2 star at best; there is no business center, a pc in the corner of the lobby does not a business center make; the laundry is par; and the internet service is good. BTW, I have contacted Hotwire about the rating of this property.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding my dispute with Hotwire, I first disputed what I called their fraudulent charge with my credit card company. The card company replied with "no refund" on the basis that Hotwire said I stayed there (true) which implicitly means that I accepted their service.

Next, I called the hotel and paid the bill directly with my own credit card (the same one used for Hotwire) and I then replied to the card company saying that the Hotel was paid direct and I continue to request they refund my fraudulent Hotwire charge.

I have no reply yet but will let you know how it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...

Chase Visa did not credit my Hotwire charge. BEWARE-do not request 3* in Columbia, Maryland from Hotwire or you may end up with this 2 star hotel. Unfortunately, regardless of how nice they may say they are, being sandwiched in a blind alley between a prison (Jessup State Pen) and a truck stop does not a 3 star make!

Next, I called the hotel and paid the bill directly with my own credit card (the same one used for Hotwire) and I then replied to the card company saying that the Hotel was paid direct and I continue to request they refund my fraudulent Hotwire charge.

Your HOTWIRE reservation was pre-paid so not sure why you would have given the hotel your credit card to pay for the room, but if this is the case, the charge made by the hotel is the one you should be looking to reverse, not the charge by HOTWIRE.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 5 weeks later...
Your HOTWIRE reservation was pre-paid so not sure why you would have given the hotel your credit card to pay for the room, but if this is the case, the charge made by the hotel is the one you should be looking to reverse, not the charge by HOTWIRE.

I gave my credit card to the Hotel in order to assure the credit card company that I was not trying to avoid paying for the hotel. After all, I did stay there even if it was in duress. I requested a credit from Hotwire because they did not deliver the 3 star as per the terms of their website. I want the hotel to keep the hotel's charge and for Hotwire to refund Hotwire's charge.

Latest news: The credit card company sent me a letter on April 20th denying my refund request. On 5/11 I made an official complaint to the San Francisco Bay Area Better Business Bureau (the one closest to Hotwire's HQ). On 5/14 Hotwire replied that all sales are final and offered to help me recover the Hotel's charge. In my rebuttal on May 15, I declined their offer and requested they refund their charges in full. I also said if they refuse, I would escalate the matter to the Attorney General's office. I have not received a reply to my rebuttal. I'll keep you posted.

Today, May 21, I received an email from Hotwire Support crediting my account with $125 Hotwire HotDollars. There is no mention of my complaint and I don't know if its related to my complaint.

Does anyone know if Hotwire HotDollars is a regular promotion? Has anyone ever received this before?

FYI the Hotdollars email came with a link to HOTWIRE's T&Cs with the following language:

"No Warranties

Unless a Provider has agreed otherwise, all products, services, advice, merchandise and information available through this Site are provided on an "as is," "as available" basis without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, other than those imposed by law, including but not limited to, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability, satisfactory quality or fitness for a particular purpose. Without limiting the above, no warranty or guarantee is made (i) regarding the acceptance of any Request; (ii) that a User will receive the lowest available price for goods and/or services available through this Site; (iii) regarding the availability of products and/or services through this Site or, where applicable, at any participating retailer or retailer location; (iv) that use of this Site and all software, products or services associated with this Site will be error-free; (v) regarding the results that may be obtained from the use of this Site; (vi) regarding the completeness, accuracy, reliability or quality of any information, Content, data, service, advice or merchandise provided or available through this Site; or, (vii) regarding the performance or non-performance of this Site including, but not limited to, any performance or non-performance in connection with or as a consequence of the passage of time. You expressly agree that the use of this Site is at your sole risk."

I'm not sure how the above T&C squares with the site statements that if you ask for a certain star level you will get it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]