Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

FMR100
By FMR100,
in

On my maiden voyage to Priceline.com, I got the HILTON NEW YORK for $98 per night over labor day weekend 2004. Thanks for the bidding tips:

1st bid -- 4* + MTW + $94

2nd Bid -- 4* + MTW + UES + $96

3rd Bid -- 4* + MTW + UES + UEW + $98 = HILTON NEW YORK

Now I am a little worried as this Hotel has received horrible reviews at TripAdvisor.com and I learned I was assigned a guest room that is only 230 sq. ft. with a "full" size bed. Sounds like a closet -- only with more stuff to trip over. Any tips on what to ask for or how to obtain an upgrade at this hotel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for sharing your winning bid with the board. Although i can understand your aprehension at this point, i can tell you that you got a very good deal.

The first two REVIEWS aren't good but the rest i think are typical for any hotel.... some good and some bad.

With your rate being so low i would assume that occupancy is very low so there should be other rooms for them to switch you to if you're not happy with the first one they give you... just be nice but persistent if you're not happy with your room assignment.

You could also call the hotel now and put in a request for the bed type you want (king, 2 beds, smoking, non-smoking, etc). This is just a request and the room will be assigned at check-in but if you can get a clerk to input your preferences it may help your situation.

As well, checking in early in the afternoon (after rooms have had a chance to be cleaned but before other guests have checked-in) will increase your chances of getting the room you want.

Joining the Hilton Honors program wouldn't be a bad idea either (it's free).

You can also try the bturner strategy of tipping $20 as described in this thread: TIPPING AT HOTELS.

Here is another thread you may be interested in: AFTER BIDDING INSTRUCTIONS

My guess is that you'll have a perfectly fine stay. However, keep in mind that NYC hotels rooms are notoriously small. I'm not sure where 230 sq. ft. fits into the realm of things but i'd guess it's not far from average for NYC.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding any of the above, and please do follow-up with us after your stay... i'm interested in hearing how your experience works out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks much for all the advice. It is very helpful. And I am aware that, thanks to all the tips at this forum, I got a good rate. I go to NYC 2 to 3 times a year and generally the standard for accomodations in NYC is low compared to the other major U.S. cities. I just expect a clean, reasonably-sized room -- and this takes some doing in NYC. So hopefully with all the tips you gave me I will have a pleasant stay.

Thanks again.

I've stayed at the Hilton and it is a clean, comfortable hotel in a great location. I second what Thereuare said, check-in as early as possible, be very nice to the check-in clerk and tell him/her exactly what you want. It took me a couple tries but the clerk finally gave us the room types we wanted.

I also got the Hilton New York, via Priceline, on a trip to Manhattan last October. I read the terrible reviews, which really got me down about staying in the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised, however, once we actually got there. Everything about the stay was very good ... and the room was quite big by New York standards. My only complaint might be that it was a big and busy convention-type hotel.

It's not the Ritz, but it is a great buy for $100. Your trip there will be just fine.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]