Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Trumbull-Milford (Trumbul-Shelton) Holiday Inn Express Shelton

relaxing41
By relaxing41,
in

I knew this hotel was won at $45 and $55 in the past. based on that info and the fact that this was the only 2.5 star available and the fact that price for the median hotel in the area matched this hotel meant that I was dealing with exactly this hotel only at this point. (Priceline states it post the median price of all participating hotels separated by star level) Median means the middle number so if one hotel used it is that price; if three hotels used then it is the price in the middle of the three etc. difficult to figure with even number listed hotel though!)

I then began bidding as follows:

I started bidding for 2/20 - 2/28 at $40 and bid increments of $2 up to $49 and was denied; I changed the dates each time by one day decreasing amount of stay each time.

I closed browser and started bid at $47 and got an offer to increase bid by $17 and i declined.

I closed browser and changed dates again to 3/4 to 3/5 attempting to get this hotel on a date a week in the future to make sure it was available.

I started at $50; was declined - I added an extra day ending up with 3/4 - 3/6 and bid $55 which was accepted. This was going to be my maximum bid since the median price was $75. I was going to go to other site and purchase at $75/night if I didn't get this.

I then started bidding on my original date of 2/20 - 2/28 which is posted next; - won at $53/night for one room.

I wanted to stay in Shelton at this hotel because it offers suites and i hope to get a suite with the living area. will post tomorrow on how i made out. I read other post which others who won this property did get the suite with living area so I hope this will apply for me! ON other site it is the same price for living area or standard room suite. I checked site pictures which have pictures of a room with one king or two double beds with a kitchen area and a separate picture of living area. If i don't get living area will attempt to rebid for this property.

Other things I kept in mind were as follows: every time I bid for thur - sunday 2.5 or 3 stars; I got Hilton garden INN, shelton;

2 stars gets you Homestead suites which I do not want to stay in and pay $20 extra for a King bed. Also, .When I bid for mon - wed dates the Hilton Garden Inn was not offering rooms and I got the 3.5 star hotel - Trumbull Marriott. I decided to use dates that included both set of days ie. wed-thur; wed-fri; sun - thurs etc. never bidding for thur - sun or mon -wed. At one point I almost bid for sat, sun, monday with check out on tuesday and based on rates offered i couldn't tell which hotel was being used for the median numbers so I decided not to bid and take the chance of NOT getting this hotel and being switched up to Hilton Garden INN; THe rates for monday night equaled $89 which is unusually low for this property.

I am glad I did my research and paid attention to my bids and others to make a more intelligent decision and purchase; minimizing, although not eliminating the chance of getting a hotel I do not want to stay in. This is important for me especially now when I do care where I am staying.

Relaxing41

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like you've put together a well thought out plan and for the most part have been receiving the hotels you've been expecting... a good example of a little knowledge going a long way.

Thanks for sharing your latest PRICELINE win with the board.

Good luck with the suite room assignment.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've stayed at this hotel twice, both times through PRICELINE. I'm pretty sure this hotel was built as an Amerisuites hotel and all the rooms are suites. Both times we stayed there we had a suite. It's more of a mini-suite, because while there is a separate bedroom area, it is not a closed room such as found in Embassy Suite Hotels.

The hotel is very nice, and includes free breakfast (or it did when we were there).

JB

yes, you are right from what I have researched This used to be the amerisuites hotel.

there is a chair and a couch in the room!

Also there is a small kitchenette includes a small refrigerator and tiny microwave.

Also a free breakfast and free internet in your room. there is both a wired hook up and wireless available. Fits up to four people nicely; (two adults and two children) . I had a choice of either two double beds or king size bed.

relaxing41

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]