Priceline Hotel: St. Kitts

CT-ref
By CT-ref,
in

First time bidder, looking for some suggestions, as this one is a little confusing to me how to proceed. I've read the bidding strategy general guidelines, but just checking this one to see what you think is the best way to proceed.

Destination is St. Kitts, arriving Mar 6, departing March 11, 2009, 2 adults.

Prefer to stay at the Marriott St. Kitts.

Priceline lists 3 hotels in St. Kitts, Marriott is 4*, Oualie is 2.5* and Hermitage is unrated. Oddly, Oualie and Hermitage are on the island of Nevis, and the Marriott is on St. Kitts. Map of the zone only covers St. Kitts, but zone is described as St. Kitts and Nevis, as it is all one country, 2 islands.

Marriott is wide open via their main reservations page, prepaid rate is $243 per night, AAA is $231, Sand Dollar special is $304 (includes breakfast and 5th night free, so roughly equal to $240 per night with free breakfast thrown in).

Please suggest an appropriate bidding procedure, as the unrated hotel is a factor I am unsure of.

I'd jump if I got this for $100 or less per night!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Priceline lists 3 hotels in St. Kitts, Marriott is 4*, Oualie is 2.5* and Hermitage is unrated. Oddly, Oualie and Hermitage are on the island of Nevis, and the Marriott is on St. Kitts. Map of the zone only covers St. Kitts, but zone is described as St. Kitts and Nevis, as it is all one country, 2 islands.
You're using the "retail" section to determine what you will get thru the "name your own price", but the two use a different pool of hotels, so it's not a safe assumption. See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Likewise, each section of their service uses different zone names and boundaries. If you name your own price (ie- bid for a hotel) it will be on the island with the shaded boundary in it (St Kitts and Nevis, the other island, is not shaded at all)

Any suggestions on price/strategy - thinking of $75 and follow this strategy for bidding:

4* - bid 75

3.5* - bid 80

3* - bid 85

If not successful at 85, try again tomorrow.

I don't think this is a good strategy as you're lowering your star rating and increasing your bids at the same time, you would want to lower your bid when you lower your star rating, or you run the risk of overbidding for a lower rated hotel. An example of this, and a more detailed explanation is provided here: If You Lower Your Star Rating Then Lower Your Price.

If you want the Marriott (which i've spent the day at a few years ago, a nice property, and some pics at Real Hotel Photos.com) i would stick with the 4* rating and re-try every 24 hours until you hit your limit, then try for the lower star rated hotels, but not sure, if based upon the above, you're trying to target the Marriott or not.

Let us know what you're ultimate goal (is it a 4* hotel up to your limit OR simply a good deal even if for a lower rated hotel), and your maximum bid, and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the feedback and guidance on bidding while lowering the star rating.

Goal is a low priced room at the Marriott - not interested in any other hotel, as I like this location best for the range of activities planned. Renting a car for several days there too. Platinum Elite status, but looking to save some money rather than have an upgrade or free bottle of wine and ice cream at check-in.

Any ideas on how to discover which hotels are in the "name your own price" pool? Only one listed in the hotel forum is the Marriott.

Thanks!

This is not a frequently bid zone so the Marriott is the only property that has been reported to the board as being won in this area.

In exchange for a 'good' price, are you willing to accept a different 4* property in this area? What would be the maximum bid for which you'd still be happy if you received a different 4* property?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ottley's appears to be the only other 4* property on St. Kitts, per Expedia. It is a hillside location, not on the beach or close to Basseterre, so this is not what I am seeking even at less than $100 per night. Ottley's is not even listed on TripAdvisor.

Unless I can gain some insight about what hotels are in the "Name Your Own Price" pool on St. Kitts, it is hard to bid with any confidence that I will win a beachside 4* location. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

HOTWIRE and Expedia don't necessarily assign the same star rating to the same hotel, so if Ottley's does participate with HOTWIRE, it may or may not be 4* rated, but more importanly your research indicates that there may be another 4* property in this region.

An opaque purchase isn't necessarily the method in every situation... if you're not flexible enough to receive a 4* hotel anywehre in the zone then PRICELINE may not be the right booking method for this situation.

HOTWIRE would be a good option in this instance since you can tell beforehand if the hotel is Beachfront and/or Near Beach, but unfortunately is not showing any availability for your dates at the moment.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]