Priceline Hotel: looking for 5* in London 3/8/2008

miaminemo
By miaminemo,
in

Guys -

Hotwire has a 5* in mayfair soho for 154 + 30.11 = 185.11 - from what Ive read this should end up being the Park Lane or Dorchester. Either isnt a horrible price.

However - in attempting to use PRICELINE (yes, I used the link from betterbidding!) , I am confused.

I bid 125 for a 5* in mayfair, expecting to be denied, but wanting to rebid at 135. My only option was to add a rebid zone; shouldnt I have had an opportunity to rebid 135 before having to add an additional zone?

I'd like to get a 5* for closer to 150 than 180, but is this hoping for too much?

PRICELINE 'rules' state that you may only place one bid per 24 hour period unless you're able to change something other than the price, that being:

-lower your star rating

-add an additional zone

-change your check-in or check-out date

Why do you think you should be able to bid again without chaning one of the items above? Do you have an example on the board where you thought somebody was able to bid again without chaning one of the criteria above?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do you have an example on the board where you thought somebody was able to bid again without chaning one of the criteria above?

I thought this one implied that, but based on your last comments, they make sense under that context. I read his post to mean he did these things right in order, but I now see he must have waited a day between steps.

London (Mayfair-Soho) Grosvenor House

I have been unable to find anything that seems much better than 180 for the 5* through Hotwire. Does anyone with experience staying London have advice on whether it is worth it to go for the 5*, or if I should lower expectations and go with a 3-4*?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Will

This is going to depend on your expectations for a hotel, whether you should get a 3*, 4*, or 5*. Of course your budget is important too.

Note that if you have in mind a "true" luxury hotel like the Dorchester, none of these will be satisfactory, but definitely not a 3* or 4*. How good a hotel do you want? If you aren't used to budget accommodations, then you probably should get at least a 4* hotel. If you read some of the reviews here and on TripAdvisor, that will give you an idea.

Given the current HOTWIRE rate, how high are you willing to bid for a 5* hotel thru PRICELINE? (assuming you decide it's worth the added expense) You do have re-bid zones available (five of them in fact) so you can slowing increase your bids each time, all within the same bidding cycle. See If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding. for more information regarding re-bidding if you're not sure of the concept or how to determine your re-bid zones.

What are the amenities associated with the 5* HOTWIRE hotel?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Let's backtrack a moment...

These amenities don't match previous reports for the Inter-Continental Park Lane so what is it that makes you think that this is the current property offered by HOTWIRE? (the amenities could have changed and as the Inter-Continental Park Lane does have a Restaurant this could be that property, but i don't see any evidence of such).

As well, in the Priceline Hotel List there are at least EIGHT 5* hotels reported in this zone, and there could be others too. If you're going to bid on PRICELINE i would, at the very least, determine which one would be your least favorite and bid accordingly so that if you received that one you'd still be happy for the price paid.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]