Priceline Hotel: Traveling to NY Sept. 8-12

stlkid23
By stlkid23,
in

Hello, would like to travel to New York Sept. 1 through 5 to do some apartment hunting (am moving to NY at the end of Sept!). Hotels seem to be sky-high during this period because of the convention and labor day.

What is an appropriate bidding strategy for this time? I'm open to staying in any part of Manhattan.

Thanks!

Doug

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This one will require some research as i haven't looked at rates recently for during the convention. I'll be back from vacation at the end of this week and will update then.

In the meantime, are you willing to split the bid at all (ie- stay at different hotels during your stay?) Have you booked a back-up yet? If so, where and how much; if not, i suggest you book a cancellable reservation as soon as possible as many hotels will likely sell-out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've had to switch this trip to Sept. 8 - 12, which I'm hoping will help me in the hotel prices. My limit per night is $130. I'm happy with a 3-star or 4-star hotel and would like to avoid splitting my bid if possible. Is this a realistic expectation for this time of year?

Thanks!

I don't think you have a chance for a 4* at $130, but you can give it a try and then try for a 3*. You have 2 re-bids at the 4* level and one at the 3* level. If you're not familiar you can read here about PRICELINE RE-BIDDING.

Select 4* MTW and...

Bid $100, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $130.

If the above is rejected re-access Priceline however you did previosly.

Select 3* MTE and...

Bid $110, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $115, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $130.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the bidding strategy. I bid through SavingsBarn and was rejected on all bids. Should I wait three days or try to include Midtown South? Not sure if that area is more or less expensive.

I'd book a backup at Super 8 for $98 a night, but some reviews on TripAdvisor claim there is a bedbug problem. Any truth to this?

Thanks!

If you want to add MTS you can bid again immediately.

You can try again in 72 hours, but as of now i just don't think your bidding high enough and your stay is just around the corner. If you're going to feel like raising your bid 2 days before your stay i would do that now rather than later. If you decide you want to raise your bid, hold off on bidding MTS and post back as we can also hit all of the above zones again (w/o waiting 72 hours).

I don't know anything about the Super 8. Personally i would lower my star rating or choose alternate zones.

Actually, I am not sure. I had this as a backup for my trip in mid-sept. and I also saw those reviews. To be safe I switched to the comfort inn midtown - the internet user's rates today for your dates are

Date Nightly Rate

September 8, 2004 for 1 night 119.99

September 9, 2004 for 1 night 139.99

September 10, 2004 for 2 nights 179.99 (per night)

the Clarion Park Avenue also has rooms for

September 8, 2004 for 2 nights 107.95 (per night)

September 10, 2004 for 2 nights 125.95 (per night)

Hotwire is showing a 3.5* in Midtown south for $139 per night of your stay right now. Does not show any amenities so I am not sure which this is.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice. I'll book the Clarion as a back-up ... the reviews look pretty good.

Now, I'd like to stick to $130 for a three- or four-star hotel. I'm willing to consider other areas of Manattan. What areas do you suggest would be realistic for this price range?

Thanks!

Lower Manhattan is generally the least expensive.

What i believe to be the Club Quarters is available on Hotwire for $134 (it's a 2.5* on Priceline, 3* on Hotwire) and it generally gets good REVIEWS but don't expect the Ritz.

If you prefer to be more centrally located there is also the 3.5* in MTS for $139. This would be a true opaque purchase since there are no amenities listed at all and it has not yet been identified.

As i was researching/typing all the above another idea hit me and i think this is your best scenario if you want to go w/ Priceline or Hotwire over the Clarion:

3.5* MTS @ $139 shows up for 9/8-9/12

-sub-dates of 9/8-9/10 @ $132

-sub-dates of 9/10-9/12 @139

3* MTS @ $138 shows up for 9/8-9/10 (believed to be the Murray Hill Suites)

3* Lower @$132 shows up for 9/8-9/10 (believed to be Club Quarters)

You could purchase the 3.5* MTS for $139 for 9/10-9/12. This will give you a place to stay those 2 nites and also reveal the hotel... it could be the rough or it could be a diamond in the rough. :)

Now that you know the identity of this hotel, you can than decide what to do for the other two nites, by selecting from the following:

1) purchase the remaining two nites at this same property for $132

2) choose MTS what is believed to be the Murray Hill Suites for $138 REVIEWS

3) choose Lower Manhattan what is believed to be the Club Quarters for $132 REVIEWS

4) stay the last 2 nites at your back-up Clarion (the cheaper of the 2 sets of dates at this property)

Not all hotels above are available for the 2nd half of your stay at prices close to your limit, which is why i suggested purchasing the second 2 nites first. Hotwire's fee will be a bit higher splitting the stay like this, but if you still end up at the 3.5* MTS property i believe your net rate will still be better than booking all 4 nites at once since you'd be getting the first part of your stay (but second purchase) at $7/nite less.

Another thing to consider is if you choose to go with the Murray Hill Suites: i believe this is a converted apartment building so the space may give you a feel for apartment living in NYC.

Ask any questions regarding the above. If you decide to act on the above, make sure all the offerings you are considering are available for the subset of dates before making the first purchase.

Thanks! I don't think I want to split my stay between two different spots -- just too much to do while I'm there and too little time. I've booked the Clarion as backup, so at the very worst, that's where I'll be. I think when my 72-hour wait is up, I'll rebid Priceline and see if I'm successful. I'll post my results here.

Thanks!

Doug

Hi

Just wanted to add that the Red Roof Inn also has rooms for $139.99 a night and is rated at about 50 on tripadvisor with good reviews. www.applecorehotels.com has pictures and info on the property, but for the 139 rate go directly to www.redroof.com

Good luck with your next priceline bids and apartment hunting.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]