Priceline Hotel: bidding strategy for Rome

s2kforfun
By s2kforfun,
in

I need to get one more night in Rome for a post- cruise stay 05/14 thru 05/15.

We need to be close to the Termini Station or the airport so we can depart from FCO in the morning.

I do have an alternative in mind, but I have to act fast on the bidding, which means tonight.

My strategy:

bid 5* Rome center $95 or $100 (?)

bid 4* Rome center $90 or $95 (?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am going to check on the Golden Tulip home page again for any last minute specials, I had a bit of trouble earlier.

Having no experience with the area, i would GUESS that your 4* bid is reasonable. Your bid for the 5* is probably low, but there's no harm in trying it, maybe we'll both be surprised.(i probably wouldn't go higher than that for the 5*, as it's just for one nite, but that's me and how i am)

What are typical rates in the area for 4* and 5* hotels?

What is your back-up?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wellllll...

I really did not have much of a back-up.

My stay in Rome had been unexpectedly extended an additional night.

When I tried to book the additional night through my previous means for the same hotel room, they told me they would not be able to confirm my room. So, I would have been left to waiting til I arrived, and ask the hotel personally, or check at the touris office for available rooms for the night. Spur of the moment.

04/08

Bid $95 Rome Center 5*- rejected

rebid $99 4*- rejected

I have read rumours that the 4* priceline selection may include the Golden Tulip Ambra Palace, or the Mecenate Palace.

These rooms are priced at $250 up.

I began to think the response from a recent inquiry to the Ambra Palace, may be bad news for finding a room in Rome for this night at all. They warned this is usually a high occupancy time for Rome.

Today I bid on my additional one night stay again on priceline.

Check-in: May 14

Check-out: May 15

Hotel Name: Hotel King (3* center)

Offer Price: $101.00

Local Taxes/Fees: $8.73

Acepted.

I hope I didn't overpay too much.

I just did a quick search and found rates for this hotel at about $160-$195/nite.

Using Marriott's website, a hotel in Rome shows a tax rate of 10% (not sure if the tax rate is cosistent throughout the city or not), so i would assume that Priceline's rate is about $87.

All in all, not too bad!

Also, could you clarify what sub-region of Rome this bid was accepted in (North, South, West, Center, or Vatican).

Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]