Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Westin Michigan Ave

CyberFunk
By CyberFunk,
in

This site has been amazing with the wealth of information! Thanks!!!

Was a little skeptical at first as I had a preference for a Westin/Sheraton hotel and wasn't sure if I was going to get one based on the price. As well it was my first time booking through Priceline and Hotwire.

Duration: Fri. Feb 13th, 2009 -> Mon. Feb 16th, 2009.

First Bid - $65

Second Bid - $70

Third Bid - $75 (Bid Accepted)

Added a different area with lower star ratings each time and bid was accepted at $75. :) :o

Cheapest Price (Expedia,Orbitz)-> $127/night.

Now that I have accomodations, anyone have an idea where I can park my car in this area for a cheap price??? :) It'll be my first visit to Chicago.

There's not really a lot in that general area that's going to be that much less than the hotel parking. You may find a lot or two in that area that's $25-30 per night.

If you don't mind a longish walk, there is this lot that a lot of people park at (I don't drive, so I've certainly never tried there, but it is popular for its weekend rates) The rates are a bit higher now - call for current prices.

The Sterling Self-Park Garage

(located between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie)

$24 per day

In by 7 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $14

In by 9 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $18 per day

After 3 p.m. and weekends - $6

If you have any general city questions feel free to ask, too.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Glad to hear the board was helpful in your purchase and gave you the confidence to give PRICELINE a try.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's some money saving advice. Your hotel is across the street from the John Hancock building. Instead of paying $15 to go to the observatory, go to the Signature Room restaurant on the 95th floor. There is a very large lounge area. Buy one overpriced drink and enjoy the view from your own table.

Also consider a CityPass: Chciago City Pass. Pay one price, get admission to the aquarium, field museum, planetarium, museum of science and industry, and either john hancock or sears tower. As important as the $ savings, tho, is avoiding the huge ticket purchase lines on the weekend.

Thank you all for your help! I'll most likely get the Citypass as I will be going to see most of the attractions that are listed.

Tentatively the schedule looks like this, but is open for suggestion and changes:

Friday:

Arrive in Chicago @ 8PM, Late night dinner at Cheesecake Factory

Saturday:

Fox-Obel (Breakfast), Musem of Science & Industry, Snow Day(???, is this worth going?), Skating at Millenium Park, Lou Matnati's(Early Dinner), Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Game

Sunday:

Shedd Aquarium, Adler Plantarium(I heard this is a little childish, is that true?), Shopping along Magnificent Mile

Monday:

John Hancock Observatory (Lunch), Depart Chicago @ 6PM

Got any recommendations for a breakfast place around our area?? or any other places I should see?

Please note (and in full disclosure i've edited the link above) that you can purchase the Chicago City Pass HERE for the same price (actually it appears to be .01 cheaper :) ) and doing so helps support the board... please use our site sponsors to book your travel plans, tours, excursions.

Alternately you can also consider the GO CARD Chicago to see if either has more/less of the attractions you want to make use of.

THANKS!!

One comment regarding your itinerary:

Monday:

John Hancock Observatory (Lunch), Depart Chicago @ 6PM

Not sure if you intend to eat lunch at the Hancock Observatory of if you were refering to visiting and then eating lunch, but piggybacking GM Mike's idea, you could also eat lunch at the John Hancock Observatory (which is what we did ~10 years ago). It's not the cheapest (or best) lunch in Chicago, but if you deduct from your check the expense you saved by not paying to take the elevator ride up to the observation deck, it comes in at just about the same price as a decent lunch, and you get to take in the beautiful view while you eat, sit, and relax (just an expanded version of the 'get a drink' suggestion)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Friday:

Arrive in Chicago @ 8PM, Late night dinner at Cheesecake Factory

Saturday:

Fox-Obel (Breakfast), Musem of Science & Industry, Snow Day(???, is this worth going?), Skating at Millenium Park, Lou Matnati's(Early Dinner), Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Game

Sunday:

Shedd Aquarium, Adler Plantarium(I heard this is a little childish, is that true?), Shopping along Magnificent Mile

Monday:

John Hancock Observatory (Lunch), Depart Chicago @ 6PM>>>

Keep in mind that the Museum of Science and Industry is not a short trip; it's definitely a trek South of the downtown area. I'd rather suggest the Field Museum than the Adler; I don't think the Adler's childish as much as I was surprised to find it seemingly a little on the sparse side last time I was there.

If you decide you want a breakfast place similar to Fox and Obel, but closer to your hotel, I like Goddess Grocer (http://www.goddessandgrocer.com/). While I'd recommend Fox and Obel, Goddess Grocer is an alternative if you're looking for something closer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]